Forum Index > Gear Talk > Anybody know anything about Zoleo 2-way communicator?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm 
Has anybody had any experience with Zoleo? It is a two-way sat device. Looks like $200 for the device and $20 a month for a basic plan for 20 sat messages plus unlimited cell texts. Sounds like it might be competition for the InReach.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 4:44 pm 
Anyone using this yet and have experience to report? They're doing quite an advertising push.

kite

kite
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:36 pm 
I have a zoleo and have been using it for the last 6 months, I have the basic plan so keep the texts down to check in's and weather reports, but I really like it, connects well with an iphone

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:39 pm 
I remember seeing a comparison review between Zoleo, Inreach mini, and Somewear but that is probably a year or more old now. At the time I remember the reviewer saying the Zoleo did not have a lot of features but the core messaging function was simple and worked very well. I do remember it was big. I see a lot of reviews out there now but this is the one I saw:
No personal experience with it though.

jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 9:01 am 
I have it and have been using it. It gets the job done. You can choose for it to automatically send check in every 4, 2, 1, hour or every 30min. You can also turn this function off and just do manual check in. Whenever it does a check in, you can also include your gps coordinate's. I did have a couple of check in that did not include the gps coordinate because it was unable to locate me. I was able to send text messages via satellite, most time it would send the message fairly quick, sometimes it took a little longer due to not picking up a satellite. I was out on a 5-day backpacking trip, I had it to auto check in every 4 hours. Zooleo claims that battery life is 200 hrs. When I got home, I still had 70% battery life left, I turned it off every night before going to sleep. One more feature that I liked was the ability to download maps of the area that you plan on hiking and save them to the app. The problem with this is it's a generic GPS map and doesn't always include the trails. But would work if you got lost. With the Zooleo, for basic check in and sending out SOS, you do not need your phone. there are buttons on it which allow you to do those functions. But it does rely on having a phone to bluetooth with if you want to send text messages. I ended up carrying a battery bank to keep my phone charged.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 4:38 pm 
After checking out the "top reviews" on amazon... https://www.amazon.com/ZOLEO-Satellite-Messenger/dp/B07X59RH7T#customerReviews I think you're better of with an inreach mini. With the cheapest inreach plan you get unlimited pre-set messages, which is what I send 99% of the time. The inreach app allows you to download aerials, USGS topos, etc. to your phone so no need to use another mapping app, simple, does everything I need it to do. The Zoleo unit might be less expensive to purchase but you're going to be paying $20+/month instead of $11.99/month for the cheapest inreach plan. That will add up over time. While Zoleo might send messages faster, not sure I'd want to carry that bulky thing. I put my inreach mini in a zippered pant packet and don't even notice it's there.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 23, 2022 2:41 pm 
I was in a situation recently where my InReach Mini 2 was paired with the iphone Explorer app and I was in a brisk two-way communication with my daughter for at least 15 minutes or more. Her hubby is a member of Chelan County Mountain Rescue and I was just checking out our options. We were able to more or less deal with the issue ourselves, but It was a good exercise and I was impressed with how well the communication process unfolded. But, I think the fact that we were in a open meadow helped.

Luc

Luc
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 11:07 am 
I've used several InReach devices and they get the job done, but are a crazy hassle compared to the zoleo, which I've been using for several years now. Tom is correct that if you mostly use them for canned check-in messages then most are created equal, but if you want custom messages and a smooth interface then I'm fully behind the zoleo. I use custom messages often to coordinate rides, to check-in with clients when working off grid, and to send scavenger hunt clues to my daughter back home smile.gif A few pluses about the zoleo, too, are that they pro-rate their billing easily, so that you can switch plans often to save money. They offer "top-up" plans if you reach your allotment in the field, which are initiated by a simple text. Also if you're wanting to communicate with fogies or technoobs, you can just give them your custom zoleo email address rather than tell them to expect a text from a spammy number. Oh, and one more thing, if your main POC use the zoleo app, then your messages can be like over 1k characters. If you're not into communicating or gadgetry, then just sign the register at the TH i guess.

GNGSTR
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 11:37 am 
Luc wrote:
I've used several InReach devices and they get the job done, but are a crazy hassle compared to the zoleo, which I've been using for several years now.
Sounds like you have things down to what works best for you. Go for it! However, just for the sake of giving newer technology equal time: I think the newly released Inreach mini2 and the newly released Garmin Explore app have made significant improvements over even the a one year old Inreach mini device that had to be used with the EarthMate app (which I found very clunky at best). Just say'n.

JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 3:50 pm 
I'm another Zoleo user, works great, their tech support is good. I really like how the messaging app works seamlessly on/off satellite or cell/wifi. Finished the trip/hike, power off the Zoleo device, you can still get incoming messages to the Zoleo app on your phone, at no charge.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 6:52 pm 
This thread sparked my interest and I did some more reading about the Zoleo. I don't see where it says you can use it standalone (like an Inreach) if you don't have your phone with you or if your phone has a problem. Is this correct? If so, that would be a disadvantage I would think.

Luc

Luc
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 9:43 pm 
If your phone has a problem, then it's "ok" messages, bread trials, or SOS.

GNGSTR

HitTheTrail