Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cypress Island trails, 8/9-8/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:36 pm 
As part of trying to find the trail less traveled, we took Island Express water taxi from Anacortes to Cypress Island this week. There are 20 miles of trails, including the well known Eagle Cliff. The island is mostly DNR land, and there are 2 campgrounds. We had the taxi drop us off at Pelican Beach. Island Express is very timely and professional--they were on time to the minute, even picking us up.
It was a treat to be backpacking, kinda, but to be able to bring what we wanted without worrying about weight. We brought 4.5 gallons water (there's none at the campground), a soft sided cooler with beer and fresh foods, and our multiday packs stuffed with stuff. There don't seem to be critter issues, though we kept food in our Ursack (beer stayed in the cooler). Pelican Beach is a busy spot. This is not wilderness camping. There were 3 kayak tour groups plus a 12 person Outward Bound group both nights. !! I didn't expect that on weekdays. There are only a few true tent sites tucked along the shore, then some grass next to the beach. There are no spots in the woods. So, there's really no privacy, unless you are on the very ends. But everyone was super nice and respectful and it ended up being a rather nice social experience. The OB kids were sweet and went to bed early. (Note: the composting toilet may be the worst smelling toilet I've been in.) The lack of privacy was worth it to get to camp on the beach.
But, there was almost no one on the trails. Boaters tie up offshore (6 buoys) and go up to Eagle Cliff, but that's it, it seems. The paddlers paddle. So the trails are empty. And there are really good interpretive signs and a couple shelters at various points. Signage, with mileage, is at junctions. Eagle Cliff is terrific. It's nearly a 360 degree view. 1.3 miles each way, 585' or so up.
Cypress is lumpy! You can get a workout here.
We did a loop that took us along the shore and by 2 marshy lakes. This shelter was amazing to find just as it started to rain, then it really downpoured, but we were cozy there.
Interesting history:
We will definitely camp and hike by water taxi again. Maybe at the other campground (Cypress Head) on Cypress, maybe on another island.

Bramble_Scramble, Slim, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:40 pm 
I was researching Cyprus for a trip this year. Good to see your report. Question: Where did you park in Anacortes?

contour5

contour5
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 9:47 am 
Cool trip report! I’ve also been looking at Cypress recently. Sucia, north of orcas also looks really interesting.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 9:50 am 
Quote:
Sucia, north of orcas also looks really interesting.
I've been there too. It's a busy little spot--it's very popular with boaters and kayakers. You can take kayak tours around it that let you hike as well. I've got my eye on Jones but the water taxi fare is quite high.
Quote:
Question: Where did you park in Anacortes?
At Skyline Marina, where the taxi leaves from. I think it was $14 for the 3 days.

RichP
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Aug 14, 2022 11:04 pm 
Sucia is a really neat island but definitely pretty busy. Scientists found the first dino fossil in Washington there in 2012. Patos is also really pretty and not nearly as busy. The campsites in the cove have a neat view. The lighthouse is an easy hike from what I can remember and it's pretty easy to follow the shore most of the way around the island. I don't have too much to say about Matia. From what I remember is mostly forested and largely off limits compared to other northern islands.