Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > FS closure on FR 4832?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 8:25 am 
I was going to hike "Snowshed Head" past the Mt Margaret TH the other day just east of Snoqualmie Pass and was surprised to see the area is closed until later in 2023. Several areas are posted with the threat of a $5000.00 penalty for illegal entry. I didn't take a pic of the sign but it has to do with wildlife. Does this have something to do with the wildlife bridge over I-90? I couldn't find anything about it on the FS website and have written to the contact on this link. Thought folks here might know something about it as well. Here is a copy of the order: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd627918.pdf

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:46 am 
RichP wrote:
Several areas are posted with the threat of a $5000.00 penalty for illegal entry. I didn't take a pic of the sign but it has to do with wildlife.
I've recently seen signs like this in the Oregon Cascades also. I've never seen these before, and something just doesn't add up, as I see it. Ideas, facts, anyone?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
RichP

RichP
PostTue Aug 16, 2022 11:41 am 
I wrote to the wildlife biologist and got an auto response that she is out of the office until the 17th. Will report back if I get a real response.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:43 pm 
Keep us posted RichP. I remember seeing signs a year or two ago there, but I don't recall seeing an end date posted on the sign.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 16, 2022 2:36 pm 
IDK, but last summer I was just starting out on a mtb loop around Lake Keechelus, where I go S on 4832 and come North on the PTC trail when suddenly a huge parade of cars and even semis started roaring up 4830. Apparently there had been a crash Eastbound on I-90 between Hyak and the Stampede pass road and Google maps was directing drivers onto 4832 to bypass the back up. What a fiasco! We ended up turning around rather than plugging forward with an endless string of hot and bothered drivers passing us.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:56 pm 
What I know is that there were several important migration structures built across I-90 as part of the expansion to six lanes. Prior to that large carnivores and ungulates were cut off from populations on the opposite side of the Highway. There are a couple underpasses. There is the big overpass near the old Price Creek snowpark. And the bridge over the back end of Lake Keechelus was extended east quite a distance. The very high fencing along the closure area directs the animals to the crossings. Lake Keechelus and the madness of recreation around Crystal Springs vastly limit the area possible for such migratory crossings. Thus the closure is in place to limit the likelihood of human-animal interactions that could lead to preventing the animals from risking being funneled in to small areas. By nature, that would otherwise be a red light for a prey species. Even the predators view themselves as prey to humans. The biologist mentioned by RichP is nationally recognized for such migratory species/highway/human conflict resolutions. Not that I am saying that very well. One huge problem leading to the necessity of the closure was snomobilers poaching the overpass! The 30 minute film is excellent. https://conservationnw.org/our-work/habitat/i-90/ https://i90wildlifebridges.org/new-film-documents-historic-story-behind-i-90-project-unfolding-near-snoqualmie-pass/

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.

Anne Elk, Lindsay, Kim Brown, Sculpin, RichP, CS
RichP

RichP
PostMon Aug 29, 2022 3:19 pm 
I did get a response from the wildlife biologist and the closure is indeed related to the wildlife crossing. Thanks to John for providing background info as well.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 10:03 pm 
A good portion of the lake bed that borders I-90 is off limits as well, the closure on both sides of the highway go almost all the way to Cabin Creek Exit area. The closure is in place to help with wildlife migration and reduce the interactions with motor vehicles