Forum Index > Trip Reports > armstrong+arnold+rock+caprock+goodenough+pick 8-11 - 8-14-2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 pm 
armstrong+arnold+rock+caprock+goodenough+pick 8-11 - 8-14-2022 horseshoe basin
approaching caprock
approaching caprock
award for best peak of the trip: caprock aka pt7858 award for longest stretch of days: 4, without stepping over a blowdown welcome committee chairman: backcountry wilderness ranger don mcfarland award winner: mellowest multi-day trip ever minor annoyance: taking wrong line down from pick peak biggest smile: looking over at all the mathstick down logs near on the sides of the almost manicured trail at the start - so happy about all the work the trail crews put in!!! temps: much warmer than predicted bugs: not bad water: small flow midway to camp, nice water near sunny pass, nice water in camp below armstrong
descending arnold/armstrong
descending arnold/armstrong
approaching rock mt
approaching rock mt
armstrong
armstrong
caprock
caprock
descending caprock
descending caprock
descending caprock
descending caprock
loudin swamp
loudin swamp
goodenough? yep.
goodenough? yep.
rock mt
rock mt
caprock
caprock
cap rock
cap rock
quick and dirty route info: pretty much any route we did or saw to all of the peaks looked great 3:42 car to camp 6.63mi 1550' gain 1:32 camp to armstrong 0:13 summit stay 1:42 armstrong to arnold 0:01 summit stay 0:48 arnold to camp 1:33 break at camp 0:55 camp to rock mt 0:16 summit stay 0:47 rock mt to camp 7:46 day 2 total ~7.4mi ~2500' gain 1:44 camp to caprock aka pt7858 1:06 summit stay 1:23 caprock to camp 0:52 break at camp 2:14 camp to goodenough 0:27 summit stay 2:01 goodenough to camp 9:47 day 3 total 13.68mi 2589' gain 4:41 camp to car (including (side trip to pick peak: 0:30 up + 0:10 summit stay + 0:33 down = 1:17 total) and (lunch break: 0:39 ) ) 7.86mi 1079' gain trip total ~35.6mi ~7750' gain equipment used: none equipment brought, but not used: swimming shoes, camp sized bug net, head bug net, personnel: king kong, carla

Lightning_bug, reststep, Matt, awilsondc, belowfellow, contour5, RichP, LukeHelgeson, HitTheTrail, JimK, Now I Fly, Lindsay
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 pm 
Such a great area. Good on ya Brett!

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:17 pm 
Nice trip to one of my favorite areas. smile.gif I had a long conversation with Don McFarland the ranger 6 years ago in Horseshoe Basin. Turned out we had a lot of mutual aquaintances since he had been a teacher and Cross Country coach in Ephrata and myself, still a teacher in Cashmere. He's been doing the wilderness ranger gig for years now. up.gif up.gif up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:10 pm 
Good to hear your trip went well and the trail is in great shape. Can't wait to take the kids up there

Eric Eames
iron

iron
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:15 pm 
looking good

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 4:25 pm 
SO very happy to see green trees on the top of Goodenough; I was so worried it had been completely wiped out by the fire. Wonderful area to tag some easy summits. Thanks for the memories.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Sep 04, 2022 11:28 pm 
Looks like a fun trip. Did you have lightning storms Friday night? How burned did the area around Horseshoe Mtn look? Did the larches on the side of the peak survive?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Sep 05, 2022 6:06 am 
Nice Brett! Fall just seems like Pasayten time.