Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trail Runner/Low Top Boot Store Suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:19 am 
Yeah, I agree. The thing is, I already have three. I have full size, all-leather boots I use in the spring. They are great for kicking steps. Since they are all leather, they can be waterproofed quite easily. I also have a pair of all-leather low tops. They are poor for kicking steps, but can handle wet terrain just fine (again, because of the leather). I tend to use them when I expect to be mostly on dry trail, but with some moderate angle snow. Finally I have trail runners. These are for going on big trips in mid to late summer (basically now). Sometimes they get wet, but they dry out fairly quickly. That is what my Altra shoes were. These Merrill's are now a further niche. I'll wear them when I'm not covering big miles and expect a lot of rocks (Pilchuck is a classic example). I won't wear them if I think I'll get them wet. At least that is what I assume I'll use them for when I end up getting trail runners again. Worth noting: Merrill has dozens of shoes called "Moab". It is like "Dodge" cars and trucks -- there is a very wide variety. Basically everything from midsize boots to casual shoes for around town.

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:39 pm 
I canít believe no one has mentioned La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Best trail shoe around if they fit your feet

RossB

RossB
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 9:13 am 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I canít believe no one has mentioned La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Best trail shoe around if they fit your feet
Because the topic of discussion is shoe stores, not shoes in particular. We only drifted into Merrill shoes because that is what I happened to buy (at Dick's Sporting Goods in Northgate).

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:11 am 
RossB wrote:
Because the topic of discussion is shoe stores, not shoes in particular. We only drifted into Merrill shoes because that is what I happened to buy (at Dick's Sporting Goods in Northgate).
Okay, you let me know when thread drift is appropriate Ranger Ross

RossB

RossB
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:53 am 
Lazyhiker wrote:
RossB wrote:
Okay, you let me know when thread drift is appropriate Ranger Ross
I'm trying to answer your inquiry, that's all. You "can't believe" that no one mentioned a particular shoe. I can. I specifically said I wasn't interested. There are probably a lot of people who read the post, have those exact shoes, love them, but didn't respond, because no one was asking. Mystery solved. Feel free to start a thread about shoes you like. My guess is you will get dozens and dozens of suggestions. I get notifications on this one because I am still curious about store options (and Chief Joseph specifically asked me a question so I feel it would be rude if I ignored him).