Forum Index > Trail Talk > NCNP Backcountry Permit Fee
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 8:31 pm 
This was news to me. Maybe I missed the conversation?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:05 pm 
It's new this year. I vaguely recall a thread discussing the change when it was announced, but that might have been on a different forum.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:00 pm 
I stopped at the Marblemount Ranger Station for my Backcountry Permit (I was heading to Stetattle Ridge for a couple nights). The ranger informed me of the new system and even offered to create an account for me. He had me up and running in a matter of minutes. I had my paper permit in hand and was at the TR in no time. I had received an email of my receipt of payment by the time I was in my truck. Very slick. The fee was a new to me ($26.00), but personally I don't mind. We are so very lucky to live so near the NCNP! agree.gif

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 pm 
I wonder what a single day costs.

philfort

philfort
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 6:15 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
I wonder what a single day costs.
The same amount (I just tried booking it without completely checkout).

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 7:46 pm 
Hmm, I guess I thought the fee was for an overnight permit. Ouch. confused.gif

dixon

dixon
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 10:05 pm 
$26 for a backcountry permit? I can't understand why there is a fee at all. All of these rules and regulations are just going to force more people to camp where they want without permits which is impossible to enforce. The NPS is shooting themselves in the foot.

JimmyBob, moonspots, Chief Joseph, wade63
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 10:51 pm 
Interestingly car camping is $24 per night except at the gorge camp where it is $20. Geezer pass half that.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:06 pm 
Re: Dixon I really think NCNP has an empty, wild feeling. Don't think people are breaking the rules much. Very limited permitting for the space and size of developed camps. I looked over the group camp at one of the Thunder Creek camps for instance. It could easily accommodate 100 campers. I mean easily a hundred. Max is 12. Was empty the day I came along. Same lots of other places that aren't Cascade Pass or Rainbow Lake. What do you think?

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSat Aug 20, 2022 7:55 am 
They need money. Makes me angry how little funding the Feds give for parks and wilderness, I mean pennies. And they wonder why forests are burning up with poor management. Bring back the CCC curse.gif Oh, don't get me started, I gotta go hiking and calm my nerves lol.gif

fn1889m, dixon, Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 20, 2022 8:31 am 
This does not help with my lack of motivation issues. Does this mean if one wants to hike to say Cascade Pass you have to pay $26, if so, each person?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

dixon
philfort

philfort
PostSat Aug 20, 2022 8:42 am 
This is for camping permits.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat Aug 20, 2022 8:43 am 
Re: Chief No, this fee is specifically for overnight backcountry permits. And there are no parking fees for trails that begin in the park.

flatsqwerl, Now I Fly
dixon

dixon
PostSat Aug 20, 2022 10:57 am 
FiresideChats wrote:
Re: Dixon I really think NCNP has an empty, wild feeling. Don't think people are breaking the rules much. Very limited permitting for the space and size of developed camps. I looked over the group camp at one of the Thunder Creek camps for instance. It could easily accommodate 100 campers. I mean easily a hundred. Max is 12. Was empty the day I came along. Same lots of other places that aren't Cascade Pass or Rainbow Lake. What do you think?
Everywhere I have camped in the past few years has been busy with several parties there who do not have permits. So, I dont believe that the system is working and is being propped up by folks like us who play by the rules. Each time I've attempted to get permits i have: - Paid $15 to play an online "lottery" which I didn't win and ended up with no permits - Drove 3 hours and stand in line at 5am for 2 hours to get to the Ranger desk and learn that the area is "full", and I have to pick another destination. Then when I hike past my original destination its either empty (online booking no shows) or full of people who have no permits and don't even realize there's a system in place. - Go on recreation.gov to find everything "full" So, in my experience the system is a complete mess and i'm not sure who its working for. To learn they are now charging $26 to sleep out in the backcountry with zero infrastructure is frustrating especially since it makes me feel like a mug to pay this fee and jump through all of the red tape just when others are just going anyway. This kind of 'honor system' doesn't seem to work when the NPS insert so much friction into the system for those who are trying to do the right thing. The NPS should be clear about their goals, are they trying to protect the wilderness through limiting usage (in which case it's not working) or drive a revenue stream into the park?

JimmyBob, fn1889m, wade63
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 20, 2022 11:38 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
This does not help with my lack of motivation issues. Does this mean if one wants to hike to say Cascade Pass you have to pay $26, if so, each person?
No, the $26 is for overnight. If you want to leave early there's a surcharge for that, plus a cancellation fee. Looks like it'll cost $117 per hour to hike Cascade Pass. Tell everyone you know!