Forum Index > Gear Talk > Pack feels like it's tipping me over backward
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
algal

algal
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:49 pm 
Hi all, I've been loaned/given a "one size" Deuter 40L pack. It's great, but on a recent first hike felt like it was pulling me over backward. I played around with tightening and loosening the shoulder straps, as well as the smaller straps up on top of the shoulders. I also moved the torso lengthening (overall size) mechanism a bit up and down. I wonder if it has to do instead with how I'm packing it? (where the heavier items are located)? It also is designed for airflow along the back, so I wonder if that design makes it harder to get the weight up over the hips? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 6:42 pm 
As has been stated here many times is that there are two things that you don't purchase online, boots-shoes and backpacks. I have learned (hopefully) the hard way with ill fitting packs and shoes. I got lucky with an old 50 liter REI pack that just seems to fit me like a glove...4th times the charm. I also bought some trail runners online and I am pretty sure they led to my bout of plantar fasciitis. The thing to do is to save your money, go into a gear store, load up some packs with the items you will typically carry and the weight and try several until you find one that fits. A sales rep will also measure your torso length in order to get you the properly fitting pack. As far as weight distribution, one is supposed to have the heaviest items higher up and closest to you body. Many packs have a sleeping back compartment on the bottom, which eliminates the need for a stuff sack, I like that feature. Another thing you could try is if you have hiking partners, carry their packs for a while and see how they feel for you. I hiked with a friend a few years ago and we switched packs and I really liked his ULA Circuit pack, but a bit pricey for me. Somewhat related story....I used to play darts a lot and I went into a store to purchase a set. They has a dart board set up so you could try them before you buy. On about the 4th or 5th set, I was nailing my shots, they just felt right and fit me perfectly.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 9:09 pm 
It's more likely (at least initially) to be how the pack is set up vs how you're packing it. Check the torso adjustment to make sure the shoulder straps aren't letting the pack hang too far down your back. The hip belt should be sitting on top of your hip bones and the shoulder straps should meet the back panel around the top of your shoulder blades, with the buckles at the end of the foam section down below your armpits. Once you have that adjusted (shoulder straps should be snug, not too tight or pulling down too hard on the tops of your shoulders), then tighten the load lifters - the straps going from the top of the shoulder strap up higher onto the pack. This should pull the load forward so it sits over your hips. Nothing should be uncomfortably tight. Once you have that dialed in, then tweak packing if needed, and make sure you're not over packing it with stuff piled way up out of the top or something - 40L is not huge. If nothing works, the pack might not fit.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
contour5

contour5
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 9:50 pm 
First dial in the hip belt. 80 or 90% of the pack’s weight should be riding on your hips. Then adjust the shoulder straps. I like to put the heaviest items (food, clothing) near the middle of the pack, and as close to my back as possible. It helps to have the right size pack, in terms of short, medium or tall.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 2:42 pm 
Just to round out the conflicting advice, I think heavy stuff should be close to the body and as low as possible in the pack. The entire pack is above your buttocks, so nothing is really "low" in there anyway. So put the heavy stuff at the bottom of the pack, and close to your back. DO NOT put anything on the outside of the pack unless you have to, and if you do, avoid putting anything on the very back of the pack; strap it to the sides. The further away anything is from your back, the heavier it feels. As noted by others, the weight should be much more on the hips than the shoulders.

algal

algal
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 pm 
Okay that's helpful thanks, I did have an empty day pack, with maybe some sandals in it ...strapped to the very back outside part of the pack so maybe that was part of the problem. And I could try to move heavier stuff closer to my back, though it's a fairly small compartment

rbuzby