Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hannegan Pass TH Closure due to fire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 6:44 pm 
News Release: Chilliwack Area Trail and Camp Closure Park officials have closed all trails and camps entering the park complex at Hannegan Pass Trailhead, including Copper Loop, to the junction of Big Beaver Trail due to fire activity in the area. Camp closures include all camps between Boundary and Stillwell camps. Multiple fires are active in the Chilliwack area in North Cascades National Park following recent storms through the area. The fires were detected late Tuesday evening. https://www.nps.gov/noca/learn/news/chilliwack-area-trail-and-camp-closure.htm

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 7:11 pm 
Dammit

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com

Now I Fly
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 7:47 pm 
We could see from Sahale Arm what looked like a plume of smoke in that direction, I assumed it was just a cloud. There was some thunder activity to the east and a few showers made it over the crest. Same as last year. I wonder if last years never went dead out.😰

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 8:37 pm 
It looks pretty bad in Washington last 48 hours. Probably all sorts of fires. Recent lightning We do get a bit of rain Friday late and Saturday and the nights are long and cool, but next week looks to get hot once again. But the time of year may keep any of what has to be multiple new fires from getting out of control. Actually, freezing levels are higher next week than this week, averaging 14,500 -15,000'. I generally don't like to hike when the FL is higher than 13-13,500. It was hot near Baker yesterday (anything sunny) with a 12,500' FL. But the optimistic FL did not represent conditions at 5,000' which were 23C+-. Next week mid to late week it shows TS again and there are only two 2-3 day cooler periods in what looks like a scorcher through September 9th. 5000' temperatures by the GFS go from 22-24 C Tuesday to 28-29C 9/3 and 9/4). No good news in Canada either. If Seattle is 28C @ 5000' it will be 100 in Seattle. This looks awful and but for a day's timing is what was predicted for this period a week ago. All-time record high September temps in Washington, Oregon, and BC now look more likely.

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 9:02 pm 
Here is the latest Howard Sheckter post which is also much more pessimistic. "The new normal?"
Quote:
by Howard August 22, 2022 8/24/2022 Some small changes over the weekend will bring a bit cooler weather to the high country as a trough of low pressure pushes through the Pacific NW. Expect a degree or two of cooling beginning today Wednesday and each day thereafter through Sunday. Today Wednesday is expected to be 79 degrees in Mammoth with mid 70s by Saturday and Sunday. An enhanced Zephier is expected this weekend making for the potential for critical weather WX. Winds could gust in the 30 to 40mph range! The longer nights and drier airmass will allow lows at night well down into the 40s this weekend with even some 30s in the colder valleys. Next week models shows more anomalous warmth by mid week as another strong upper high build over the west. Record or near record high temperatures may return mid week next week! Climatically…..The average high in Mammoth is now low 70s and low 90s in Bishop. Who knows what’s normal!! Dr Howard and the Dweebs……………………………..:-) PS For those that wish to know where the monsoon went; its over Texas! PPS September is an interesting month for the southern and central west coast. Watch out for dying tropical storms coming up Baja, who’s moisture may get caught up in an approaching west coast trough, then into Central California and Sierra around mid month! 😉

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 4:33 am 
Fire on the north side of the Brush creek west of Whatcom Pass, and on the slopes east of the trail on Chilliwack ridge, north of Copper Lake. Not the same places as last year.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 7:12 am 
GB, I also follow HS reports!

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 9:51 am 
Here are the MODIS/VIIRS heat detections. There is another fire a bit to the north. GISsurfer is slow to start - I need to look into that.
View larger size in new window

Now I Fly
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am 
Looks like the trail on the NF isn't closed (although certainly doesn't sound like a fun place to hike right now): https://www.facebook.com/MtBakerSnoqualmieNF/posts/pfbid02GVUT2jA3K4tbYxVW7gWGfjN6D3jK5a7GPk49THtPKaPYRSeggzqK2BDLjw3kaMkhl
Quote:
North Cascades National Park access from Hannegan Pass Trail #674 is closed due to wildfires. The trail is still open on the National Forest side of the boundary, but it has gotten smoky and is impacting views in the entire Mt. Baker Highway cooridor.

Hutch

Hutch
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 11:16 am 
There goes my long-planned Labor Day weekend plans!

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 12:23 pm 
Over 2800 lightning strikes in 24 hours in WA.

Slim
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 12:29 pm 
Really sh##ty news overall. I wonder how many more fresh starts will be discovered over the next couple days.

dixon

dixon
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 12:58 pm 
This is to be expected with decades of artificial fire suppression. Forests have always followed a cycle, humans got involved and the nimbys got their way. Now we're left with unhealthy forest's choked with dead fuel just waiting to go up. I have friends in the FS who tell me they can't even burn piles in the spring as local residents complain and so the fuels keep on building.

Chief Joseph
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 3:58 pm 
dixon wrote:
This is to be expected with decades of artificial fire suppression. Forests have always followed a cycle, humans got involved and the nimbys got their way. Now we're left with unhealthy forest's choked with dead fuel just waiting to go up. I have friends in the FS who tell me they can't even burn piles in the spring as local residents complain and so the fuels keep on building.
Nice opinion but irrelevant in this case. The area has been a National Park since the early 1970’s. Natural fires are often left to burn with suppression only occurring if there is a threat of huge spread. There have been historic fires in the area for hundreds of years. The current fires are in near alpine areas after a long dry summer after a late wet spring. Perfect conditions for producing lots of dry brush ready to burn with the first lightning of summer. Nobody has ever done burn piles on Copper Ridge or up Brush Creek. Nobody has been raking the forest there either.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

ChinookPass
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 4:24 pm 
Fortunately not much smoke visible on satellite and not much wind in the forecast. With dew season just a couple weeks off(and maybe even a major rain event before that depending on which model you look at) and a minor disturbance early Saturday... it looks like we should pass through this summer with below normal fire activity. Still somehow managed to show up at one of the only burning trailheads. Figures.

rbuzby