Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Aug 19, 2022 7:41 pm 
Got up to Stetattle Ridge, 8-16 thru 8-18. Excellent rambling (except the heat and the Mosquitoes!) :-) https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720301423211

rubywrangler, RichP  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Aug 21, 2022 6:58 pm 
Bare Mountain up the NoFoSno yesterday. No views just 3000’ of good clean fun.
FR 57 is in unusually poor shape. Detailed nicely in this TR (not mine).

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Dolph Lundgren, HikingBex, Now I Fly
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 am 
Climbed Koma Kulshan/Baker via the Easton route 8/20-8/21. This was my second time on this route just this summer, but I was happy to be back in such a beautiful area. The route is still in quite good condition - several large crevasses are easily navigable & the path is still a pretty straight shot up the glacier. There are a couple steps of ice at the top of the Roman Wall, and about 30 feet of exposed kitty litter/rock, but they were relatively easy to handle. The highlight for sure was an incredible campsite we got above the clouds at around 7000ft with views onto the Deming glacier.
View onto the Deming glacier from camp
View onto the Deming glacier from camp
Another view - I could have sat and watched this waterfall for hours!
Another view - I could have sat and watched this waterfall for hours!
View onto the Middle Fork Nooksack valley & Twin Sisters
View onto the Middle Fork Nooksack valley & Twin Sisters
Sunset on the valley was simply incredible
Sunset on the valley was simply incredible
If you look closely you can see the tents down at the main base camp
If you look closely you can see the tents down at the main base camp
First light on the crater rim
First light on the crater rim
Crisp mountain shadow on the clouds
Crisp mountain shadow on the clouds
Summit view of Shuksan just peaking above the clouds
Summit view of Shuksan just peaking above the clouds

Cyclopath, contour5, jaysway, Tom, awilsondc
Comma

Comma
PostMon Aug 22, 2022 4:40 pm 
Went and tagged North Bessemer in Middle Fork on Sunday. I used Monty Vanderbilt's TR for reference, as well as a GPS track from Peakbagger. The road walk was quick. Lots of blackberries, black raspberries along the road, and some salmonberries. Lots of huckleberries once on the bushwack traverse. I don't have much to add to the TR or the GPS track, both are accurate. But, I will note that the bushwack did involve patches of (berry-less) salmonberry bushes, thistles, and cow parsnip. I recommend wearing pants... Lots of bear scat everywhere, some of it was very fresh, but I didn't see any bears. I didn't bring a rope, and was fine. I took down some old tat with me, but some of it was wedged into the rocks pretty good and I didn't have a knife. I also did not find a summit register, so whoever goes up next should bring one with them. Great views of the Middle and North forks.

Dolph Lundgren
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 4:15 pm 
40 years ago we went on a backpacking date to Cascade pass in April ( they allowed camping then on snw only. Yesterday we celebrated by making a return to Sahale Arm. A few pix for anyone considering climbing one of the peaks there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Cyclopath, Now I Fly
themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 1:22 pm 
loowit (mt st helens) ascent loop, up via worm flows and down via monitor ridge, 8/23/22. i have photos and could make a fuller trip report if that was very helpful; or answer questions with images via DM if preferred. but here's the short version: i haven't seen any reports using the worm flows route during full summer. obviously it's slightly longer than climber's bivouac start. but that trail is a bit of a highway. on worm flows saw no one at all until we met the monitor ridge trail near the top. by looks of the register in the marble mtn parking lot, very few people do it after the snow melts. it requires some wayfinding, as the non-snow "trails" are threaded and vague in places. in fact, we called our specific route "elk trail" because we were actually following elk spoor (including clear hoofprints, a dust bath, and scat) up past at least 7000'. but that's because we edged to the west of the main ridge. we camped before and after at chocolate falls, which has good campsites and fun water; a nice relaxation spot. the "summer worm flows route" follows the west ridge of swift creek, pretty much straight up. we cross-countried a bit at the beginning and near the top, in part for fun. a side benefit was the presence of delicious snow-melt water (by mid-morning) near the summit, shortly before attaining monitor ridge. on this date there was only about 20ft of snow to cross, right near the top, easy slope to ascend w/o microspikes. in fact, some of us were in sneakers. ages: 40s x2, 17yo, 13yo. wayfinding experience: decent. fitness: good. i would not suggest this for most people, for many reasons, but it made a really great and more secluded loop. we glissaded down the snowfield to the west of monitor ridge, which was a blast and easy/safe enough on this late morning. this meant descending the rest of monitor ridge to loowit trail, thence back to chocolate falls. what a beautiful mountain!

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 1:40 pm 
Goat Ridge/Lily Basin/Snowgrass Meadows Loop - We saw only a few people up to Goat Lake, where quite a few people were camped (Monday), and beyond that multiple parties of backpackers coming in via Snowgrass Meadows trail. All in all though, it didn't feel excessively crowded, doing it as a one day loop on a weekday is no doubt ideal. The bugs were not bad at all until later in the day as we got into the long forest hike (w/spectacular trees) on the way out. The area between the Goat Ridge/Lily Basin intersection and Goat Lake had the most spectacular/large, varied flower display I've ever seen. It was a terrific (and in places, downright rapturous) day in the high country.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

Cyclopath, Now I Fly, HikingBex, mosey, awilsondc  kite
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 5:29 pm 
Searching for a Sign. A Rooster Tarns adventure (and schwack!). Fun day with the Puzzler. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720301574346/with/52310373237/ He may post a real report, or maybe not. wink.gif

mosey, zimmertr
kite

kite
PostThu Aug 25, 2022 5:51 pm 
Short wet beach walk to Sand Point and Cape Alava

Cyclopath, contour5, half fast, meck, Now I Fly
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Aug 28, 2022 4:08 pm 
We did a short hike into Hand Lake, off the McKenzie Pass Highway about 20 miles west of Sisters. Only about 3 miles round trip. We have cut down our mileage due to age, I at 86 and my wife Celie at 82. The old steep 10 milers are long gone. A flat 3 to 4 miles is about it and several rest stops thrown in. Anyhow it was a fun hike. Nice shaded trail in, fine old shelter, pretty lake and meadow. Even saw a portion of, what was touted as, the Santiam Wagon Road It
was a main route between the Willamette Valley and Central Oregon during the late 1800s. This section cut right thru a lava field.

Cyclopath, Now I Fly, contour5, Malachai Constant, Kascadia, RichP
RichP

RichP
PostSun Aug 28, 2022 4:31 pm 
Seven days in The Mallard-Larkins Pioneer Area with Idaho Trails Association. Lots of logs and brushing. Assistance of a pack string made the job much easier. Swimming in high mountain lakes every day and a cool group from all over the state made for a good time. Of 6 summer hires for trail crew on the St Joe District, none showed up this year.
Northbound Lake, Heart and Crag Peaks
Northbound Lake, Heart and Crag Peaks
Erick and Morgan's family pack team
Erick and Morgan's family pack team
Mallard Peak Lookout
Mallard Peak Lookout
L to R: The Nub, East Sister and Black Mtn. Highest points in the Mallard-Larkins
L to R: The Nub, East Sister and Black Mtn. Highest points in the Mallard-Larkins
Handiwork
Handiwork
Fawn Lake
Fawn Lake

Cyclopath, Nancyann, Slim, Now I Fly  KascadeFlat
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 1:52 pm 
Spectacle Lake via Pete Lake 9/10-9/11. We hiked in after dark Friday and snagged a wicked spot at Pete Lake. Day hiked into Spectacle on Saturday. Tried the route up to Glacier for about 20 seconds and then decided swimming in Spectacle was more fun. Took a detour to Lemah Meadows on the way back for a figure 8 “spectacle” loop. 😎Smoke was worse at Pete but overall manageable. I was shocked how few people we ran into.
Monday 9/12 - took my nieces up to Winchester lookout. Smoke definitely impacted views but we saw a couple getting married which the girls thought was the coolest thing ever! 😄

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Cyclopath, Nancyann, Now I Fly, jaysway, RichP, mosey  awilsondc
RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 16, 2022 5:36 am 
9/16. Into the quiet area of Sunrise for a hike of Palisades and Marcus. Clouds were a theme on this day. As soon as I got up to the pass above Hidden Lake they dropped and I was in a white out. Going up The Palisades was easy but Marcus felt sketchy with the scrambling in a cloud. Dropping back down to Hidden Lake I was once again below the cloud deck. Saw nobody on the hike out and it was still and silent.
Scratching posts
Scratching posts
Clover lake
Clover lake
A glimpse of the Palisades
A glimpse of the Palisades
Lovely meadows
Lovely meadows
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
Up to Green Park saddle
Up to Green Park saddle
My only view of Marcus Peak
My only view of Marcus Peak
Palisades summit
Palisades summit

Cyclopath, Nancyann, Now I Fly, jaysway  KascadeFlat
RichP

RichP
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 6:19 pm 
9/19 I hadn't been up to Rocky Run in several years and headed back today to do the last remaining peak I had in the area, Southeast Rampart Ridge or Running Rock depending on your source. The road is about as I remembered it and there were a few other cars there when I arrived in the morning. I hiked up to Lake Lillian and took the big green gully NW up to where I was easily able to avoid all the cliffs. I got on the ridge and continued to the summit block and went around to the east side where it's an easy walk up. On the way down I dropped south and the vegetation was still wet from the morning dew and slick. The bottom had some bothersome talus to contend with until I made it back to the trail. I liked the route up from the lake more.
Lake Lillian
Lake Lillian
Rampart Ridge
Rampart Ridge
southeast summit of Rampart Ridge
southeast summit of Rampart Ridge
Dungeon
Dungeon
Mt Margaret
Mt Margaret

Cyclopath, HikingBex, Nancyann, jaysway, awilsondc, brewermd, Now I Fly  KascadeFlat
neek

neek
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 7:54 pm 
^ Good choice going on a weekday; it was a zoo on Saturday. But epic blueberries around Rampart Lakes!