Forum Index > Photography Talk > Some photos from my new Olympus em-5 iii (UK, Italy)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostWed Aug 24, 2022 12:12 am 
Sorry no PNW photos yet but I wanted to follow up from another thread where some of you gave me some advice. I decided to get an em-5 iii. I got it on ebay from mapcamera in near mint condition with the 12-45mm lens for about $1000. I also bought the 40-150mm lens for about $70 I think. Overall I really like the camera, it's decently small and light but I don't know if it will replace a compact for all my hiking. I may still get an RX-100 III as an upgrade to my rx-100. I haven't taken it on any serious hikes or backpacking yet and I don't know exactly how I would best carry it and manage other gear. I might consider getting one of the zooms like 12-100 to avoid switching lenses as much). On this trip I either wore it around my neck, kept it in my pack, or kept it in a little holster I sewed onto my pack's waist strap.

car68, pula58, seawallrunner, Gil, jaysway, InFlight, Slim, contour5, mike, half fast, Cyclopath, Tom  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 31, 2022 10:43 pm 
Nice shots! The Peak Design Capture Clip is the way to go for carrying that thing on your backpack.

Gil, InFlight
gb

gb
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 3:33 am 
OwenT wrote:
Sorry no PNW photos yet but I wanted to follow up from another thread where some of you gave me some advice. I decided to get an em-5 iii. I got it on ebay from mapcamera in near mint condition with the 12-45mm lens for about $1000. I also bought the 40-150mm lens for about $70 I think. Overall I really like the camera, it's decently small and light but I don't know if it will replace a compact for all my hiking. I may still get an RX-100 III as an upgrade to my rx-100. I haven't taken it on any serious hikes or backpacking yet and I don't know exactly how I would best carry it and manage other gear. I might consider getting one of the zooms like 12-100 to avoid switching lenses as much). On this trip I either wore it around my neck, kept it in my pack, or kept it in a little holster I sewed onto my pack's waist strap.
You will come to really love your new camera. I started with an EM-1 I and progressed to the EM-1 II which gives IQ similar to your EM-5 III. My lenses also include the 12-45 which is amazingly small and really quite excellent for IQ. My current set-up is either the 35-100 F2.8 - also very small but limited in close focus ability and FL for small wildlife - or the Panasonic 50-200, a somewhat larger lens, which enables shooting even some smaller wildlife, and is great for close-focus (2') for things like bees and butterflies. Both are outrageously sharp. Which combo I carry depends on my expectations on a trip. When there are really great peaks I would add one of the other longer zooms. But when climbing at most I would carry the single 12-45 in the Lowepro in my pack. I have climbed things like the West Face of North Early Winter - 5.11a - with a camera. But most often during climbing itself I typically left the camera at home or at camp. The 12-100 is similar in size to the 50-200, and is too large in my view to always be hanging from your body as you hike. Accordingly, I use a Lowepro AW 50 chest mounted bag with either of the lenses, or at times when I don't expect much, I just carry the bag and the second lens (if I have a second lens) in a protective lens bag in my pack. On many outings I carry just the 12-45 or the 12-40 (my original zoom) because I find in mountains and deserts I often just shoot to about 45 mm. For these applications there is no reason for a tripod with m4/3. Over time m4/3 will likely expand your interests in nature as your interests grow & shift. I now shoot a lot of Focus Stacked flowers & mosses (I teach a moss class), use a longer zoom or the 60 macro for bees and butterflies, and have a separate long focal length set-up to shoot birds more locally and in wildlife preserves. m4/3 just grows on you because it does so many things so well and is so fun to shoot. I use the 8mm FE occasionally at camp for astro/landscape (I carried it last week on one outing). But that mandates a tripod, although starry skies could be shot handheld with the EM-1 III or OM-1 - I have neither.

mike

mike
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 9:00 am 
I have to say that the 12-100 is a super lens. Weather resistant along with the em5iii body. I carry it along with the 9-18 in a pocket. The 14-150 is also a good travel lens and smaller. The 75-300 is a decent tele without breaking the bank. I carry using the Optec Reporter straps and chest stabilizer hanging on my pack straps so there is no weight on my neck. Way cheaper than PD. I notice that you made it to Skye, Old Man of Stor. up.gif

OwenT

OwenT
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 9:07 pm 
Yes. Skye was very nice. The second to last image was taken at neist point.

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostMon Sep 05, 2022 9:07 pm 
That Capture Clip solution looks pretty awesome. Great pics here too BTW.

OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Sep 05, 2022 10:28 pm 
I didn’t get a capture clip because of the reports (I think one or two) I had seen about the bottom of the camera failing at the mount point while using the capture clip. Apparently the bottom plate is not very strong but it probably has not been a problem yet for some.

mike

mike
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 10:08 am 
I would doubt that the bottom plate is designed for much more stress than sitting on a tripod.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Oct 23, 2022 5:24 pm 
Capture Clip has never given me security concerns. That being said if my setup exceeded 3lbs I'd go for a camera holster partially for comfort reasons which I mount to a pack. If I ran more on trails I'd temporarily park the camera inside the pack for peace of mind. I do regularly check the bottom plate (a few times a day) and keep a hex on me just in case for potential adjustment. I've had good luck with the REI Packmod Hipbelt Pocket for smaller cameras. https://www.rei.com/product/162156/rei-co-op-packmod-hipbelt-pocket
At first bought it for my RX100 VI. Then tried it out with my Sony a5100 with it's 16-50 PZ lens. It fits in quite nicely, being low profile on my hip attached to a belt. Been using the hip belt for a few years in some of the more rugged places such as Denali, Picket Range, and the Ptarmigan Traverse. Currently I own all three (holster/camera sling, capture clip, and hipbelt) which I use for different configurations. In some cases I bring all 3 on the same overnight trip. The holster carries/protects my Sony a7 + lens. Capture clip allows me to swiftly change lenses by parking camera boy onto my sling, pop out the lens into sling, then put on the lens from lens case. Takes less than 30 seconds and protects all gear from dropping and dust. Immediately upon popping off the lens, the camera body gently falls down against my body preventing dust from entering during the 20 seconds of getting the other lens ready. Only problematic if you're covered in mud in which case you'd never swap lenses like that. wink.gif The hipbelt carries my Sony a5100 with it's 16-50 PZ lens. Maximum perspective covered with great optical quality with the least amount of lens changes.