Forum Index > Trail Talk > Water sources along the way to Burroughs Mountain?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 12:10 pm 
I am planning to hike up to Third Burroughs Mountain (Mt. Rainier) in a couple of weeks. I am considering taking one of those squeeze bottle filters to supplement the water I am carrying. I realize it's pretty dry up there so this may be tough. If I went up and back via the trail past Frozen Lake there's maybe water at the outlet? I can't remember since it's been years since my last visit. But perhaps if I returned by way of First Burroughs and the Shadow Lake area I would see a stream or two. Thoughts? I am taking a 1 liter, 3/4 liter and the squeeze bottle. I am trying to have a light pack. Thanks. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 2:22 pm 
I don't recall that Frozen Lake actually has an outlet. I also believe water access is fenced off because it is used as an aquifer for the facilities at Sunrise. Satellite imagery shows some snow near the summit of Third Burroughs but it might be difficult to access. I think you're probably stuck carrying enough for the whole trip from the start unfortunately.

Flickr | Strava

mosey, dixon
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 2:24 pm 
There is none. There's a fence around the lake.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 3:17 pm 
Yes, I remember the fence around the lake. But the map shows an outlet stream (if I am reading it correctly). I just couldn't remember the trail crossing it or if it was even showing water when I went by previously. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=46.91825,-121.66393&z=16&b=t I should be able to get water in the basin below Sunrise if I went back that way. The Frozen Lake trail sounds dry though. Thanks, ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 3:26 pm 
There is a stream near the trail that goes down to White River Campground I would filter as it comes from the small lake by Sunrise Camp. There is also a tap near the outhouse at sunrise. There was no snow there a couple weeks ago except snow on 3rd Burroughs probably melted by now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 8:14 pm 
I hiked that way last August. There weren't any streams to collect water. Nor was there any snow to collect. There might be a bit of snow this year due to high snowfall this year, but I would plan on carrying all the water I needed from Sunrise.

Now I Fly, dixon
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:38 am 
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I agree that carrying all the water I might need for this particular hike at this point in the season would be prudent. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 6:41 pm 
The other tip is to leave town VERY early, alpine start. They close white river entrance when Sunrise Parking is full and only let cars in when someone leaves. A month ago there were only 3 spots at 7am midweek.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:26 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The other tip is to leave town VERY early, alpine start. They close white river entrance when Sunrise Parking is full and only let cars in when someone leaves. A month ago there were only 3 spots at 7am midweek.
Or the opposite: Last year I arrived at Sunrise at 4 pm and had no trouble finding parking. Incredible sunset from Burroughs. Watched the blue fade from the sky and then hiked back to the car under the Milky Way and shooting stars. I don't think this is what Z wants from his upcoming hike, maybe a future one. I'd recommend it to anybody.

mosey, Lightning_bug
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:57 pm 
Took a couple visitors to Third Burroughs today. Here's a photo of the drainage and the lake dam.
No water anywhere but lots of smoke. frown.gif

Flickr | Strava

mosey
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 9:19 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
They close white river entrance when Sunrise Parking is full and only let cars in when someone leaves. A month ago there were only 3 spots at 7am midweek.
Yikes! Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. I had heard about having to wait at White River, but I didn't realize the cause. We were going to leave Renton before 6 but 7 am arrival will be tough to make. Might have to make a hard decision.
zimmertr wrote:
Here's a photo of the drainage and the lake dam.
Very helpful. Definitely not a drop of water near the trail there. Whoa. I hadn't seen the Frozen Lake ice so melted out before. (At least I don't recall it.) ~z

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Sep 02, 2022 9:21 pm 
I had the same reaction when I saw it! Normally it's several magnitudes larger. Not sure I've ever been there in September though

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Sep 03, 2022 7:41 am 
I was there Thursday...no outlet from Frozen Lake. It is very low. The park has signs in all the restrooms asking folks to conserve as the levels are so very low in the park. Please help. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 9:18 am 
Just to double-confirm, we were there on Sunday, no water sources (and smoke was gone, views were crystal clear in all directions). I wouldn't ever plan on filtering water on that trail. A ranger will scold you if you step off the trail at all. Last time we did Burroughs was also in September, and the water level at Frozen Lake was similarly low. Maybe lower. And the grass was much more brown the prior time. This past Sunday, the meadows were still green and there were still some flowers, plus snow patches (off the trail) here and there.

Carbonj

Carbonj
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 7:25 pm 
There is a spring in upper berkley park on the wonderland trail its just before the trail starts uphill towards sky scraper pass, I like to do a loop of burroughs and skyscraper peak. Just a little crosscountry.