Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > REI Airstream?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 8:41 pm 
If I didn't know better I'd say it's an attempt to bring up gotchas on a subject that isn't open for discussion.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 9:00 pm 
dixon wrote:
isn't the entire point to remove human comforts and experience the raw?
This is something upper class British people do. Some of us learned to backpack using visquine tarps and cook pots made from a coat hanger and an empty coffee can out of economic necessity. If you start to measure "carbon footprint" in a detailed enough manner recreational pursuits far from the city have a pretty significant impact, even if you travel from the city in an electric vehicle charged by solar/wind/hydro power. All the gear made basically from highly processed natural gas and manufactured in China/other east Asian countries and shipped across the Pacific all of that emits sunstantial CO2. If you want to minimize your CO2 emissions, live in NYC , ride the subway and recreate in Central Park.

dixon

dixon
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 11:05 pm 
The Comfort Crisis: Embrace Discomfort To Reclaim Your Wild, Happy, Healthy Self https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FZLLPJX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_3ZJ9J09PJ3DPPR03R0M0 Great book!

neek
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 7:26 am 
PowderPawn wrote:
Im waiting for someone to make solar awnings that rollout to the sides
There's a guy with an Escape trailer who installed 2120 W of solar panels on his truck and trailer. Everything in the trailer is electric - no propane on board at all.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 7:35 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Have read and heard that Airstream quality has gone downhill after another company took over. Overpriced and lots of things to fix.
I think that's the case with all of them now & with covid they haven't kept up with orders and are rushing trailers out the door. Airstream bought out a really well thought out trailer company from a guy in Bend Oregon and then killed the product. It competed with the Basecamp but was fiberglass. They still have it on their website https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:06 am 
dixon wrote:
Personally i dont see why you need something like this to enjoy nature, isn't the entire point to remove human comforts and experience the raw?
As you get older you're going to appreciate something like this as a base camp to do day hikes from. Backpacking past 70 gets pretty difficult.

runup, zimmertr, Randito, dixon
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:59 am 
Schroder wrote:
Airstream bought out a really well thought out trailer company from a guy in Bend Oregon and then killed the product. It competed with the Basecamp but was fiberglass. They still have it on their website https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/
The Nest had problems with the fiberglass cracking. I seem to recall some problem with the front window. They were overpriced and entering a market where for half the price, one could buy a brand (Scamp, Escape, Casita) that was already established with bugs worked out and the same level of comfort. There was quite a bit of discussion on the Fiberglass Trailer forum about the Nest. Nest Thread I atone for my trailer by using my ebike for running around town, although a watermelon in the pannier lessens the joy of a bicycle.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Schroder
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 5:06 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The Nest had problems with the fiberglass cracking. I seem to recall some problem with the front window.
I my research into various RVs one thing I picked up was that front facing windows on the "loft" of C class motorhomes and similar windows on "campers" have a strong tendency to develop leaks over time. I think that it probably more the case that all RV windows develop leaks overtime, but that amount of water intrusion is less when the windows are vertical, rather than when mounted on a sloped wall. Plus being mounted in the front and in the wind while underway is going to demand very good seal quality.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 pm 
Schroder wrote:
dixon wrote:
Personally i dont see why you need something like this to enjoy nature, isn't the entire point to remove human comforts and experience the raw?
As you get older you're going to appreciate something like this as a base camp to do day hikes from. Backpacking past 70 gets pretty difficult.
When I did the Wonderland trail last year there was a lady in her 70s backpacking with a party of other seniors. There have been few times in my life I felt more impressed by someone. People out here are just built different. That would have never happened where I grew up.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:36 pm 
There is a brand of fiberglass trailer that is of high quality and has an Airstream like price. The brand is Oliver and is made by somebody with fiberglass boat building experience. They have a double hull and all the bells and whistles, and very good quality control. But the trailers weigh more too, because of that. Bigfoot also makes good ones and again they are heavier. Their factory is up the road in Beautiful British Columbia and I see their truck sometimes hauling campers south. I think they sometimes spend the night at Camp Walmart.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities