Forum Index > Trail Talk > Baker-Snoqualmie New Fee Areas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 5:09 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't write my credit card info on a piece of paper and drop it in a box in the woods. I was recently at a National Parks Campground (Heart O' the Hills) and they wanted you to do the same thing to pay for a campsite. Fortunately they had the option of paying online & there was a cell signal there.
The only way to pay to camp at Deer Park and Graves Creek Campgrounds in Olympic National Park is via writing your cc or debit card info on a piece of paper and dropping it in a box in the woods. There is no internet at either camps so instant pay doesn't work. You cannot pay via cash or check. Maybe the National Park Service is violating the credit card industries' own rules on fraud prevention. But I highly doubt it. The payment only requires cc or debit card number and expiration date. It does not ask for CVC code or billing address. It doesn't even ask for your name. So if a thief did steal all the little pieces of paper in the lock box, I am not sure what they would be able to do with it. And getting your cc number stolen is really not that big of a deal (if you are looking at your statement for unusual transaction). You get the fraudulent transaction canceled and refunded, get a new cc number, and that's that.

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 pm 
FWIW: After showing my America the beautiful pass at the Lake Kachess boat launch I was charged $4 at the entrance booth.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 8:00 pm 
What is NOT covered by the Annual Pass? The Annual Pass does not cover Expanded Amenity fees such as camping, boat launching, parking, special tours, special permits or ferries. https://store.usgs.gov/faq#Annual-Pass

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 01, 2022 8:11 pm 
kiliki wrote:
What is NOT covered by the Annual Pass? The Annual Pass does not cover Expanded Amenity fees such as camping, boat launching, parking, special tours, special permits or ferries. https://store.usgs.gov/faq#Annual-Pass
Sure , what it interesting was that prior to showing my pass the booth attendant was going to charge me $8. At least I got the senior discount. But why this rate wasn't offer 1st to folks sporting a lot of gray hair....

philfort

philfort
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 2:09 pm 
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 06, 2022 2:20 pm 
Personally I'm OK with paying the extra fees for parking in a place where there is a booth and a ticket seller. Seems like such locations would not be the happy hunting ground for thieves and vandals. OTH , extra fee areas that collect day use fees via an "iron ranger" seems like it will simply encourage thieves to steal a dewalt angle grinder to cut into the "iron ranger"

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:16 am 
catsp wrote:
but does anyone who has read the least little bit about this still believe that the sites noted for going from "$0" to a "$5" day use fee means anything other than they are being added to the many other sites that require a day use fee?
Apparently a lot of people including me. And maybe it's because the words, "Northwest Forest Pass" isn't even mentioned in the proposal. AND BECAUSE of Philfort's observation on the Old Sauk trailhead.
catsp wrote:
A NW Forest Pass (among other passes) will suffice,.
The proposal doesn't say that. Some of the lousiest communication efforts are in public process documents - BASIC issues and regulations being unclear to the public. 1. NPS didn't include current NPS regulations in their documents for public review in ONP's wilderness management overhaul several years ago, they uploaded the old one that skewed it in their favor - to not preserve shelters and other historical structures. A person reading their documents would think structures were not acceptable in wilderness. The current documentation has an entire chapter on the preservation of historical structure. I made a formal request that the old document be removed and replaced with the current documentation - and - they did nothing. The superceded document was presented to the public for their decision-making process. 2. One reason we still have the Illabot Road is that the proposal to close it was misleading - in their favor to close it. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be that way, but it was. One (of several) glaring issues is that the description of road damage and a photo of the damage repeated throughout the proposal to close the road - was a description and photo of a portion of the road they were keeping OPEN. I (with the help of NWHiker donors to hire a lawyer to review my work) was one of 5 people who wrote a formal appeal on the decision. The road is still open. This proposal for the $5 fee doesn't say that the NWFP will cover it. It most certainly might; it probably does - but a thoughtful reading of the proposal should raise the question about it, and I understand the confusion. Displaying the NWFP is not an option in the proposal. Assume nothing. Therefore, each trail listed on the MBS page will get the same comment from me; that so long as the fee is included in the daily or annual NWFP , I'm OK with the fee; but if it is separate from the NWFP, then no.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

ejain
philfort

philfort
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:37 am 
Adding to the confusion is that some of the proposed new fee sites (e.g. Garfield Ledges) apparently already require the NWFP (at least per WTA). And the sign in the WTA trip report I linked mentioned the fee will only be collected from Apr 1 to Nov 1. Never heard of the NWFP only being needed at certain times of year...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:38 am 
Simple solution, if you are a hiker just get the damn pass huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 10:50 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Simple solution, if you are a hiker just get the damn pass huh.gif
This is the issue, which pass? People don't know until they get to a trailhead. Which is why I see discover passes displayed in Mount Rainier. Get rid of all passes!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 12:05 pm 
philfort wrote:
Adding to the confusion is that some of the proposed new fee sites (e.g. Garfield Ledges) apparently already require the NWFP (at least per WTA). And the sign in the WTA trip report I linked mentioned the fee will only be collected from Apr 1 to Nov 1. Never heard of the NWFP only being needed at certain times of year...
Oh, wow! I missed that! Thanks for reposting. (I had thought Jennifer Dunn and Beaver Lake trailheads already required it, and the new Old Sauk trail head, but wasn't sure). What a ball of confusion.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
catsp

catsp
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 1:13 pm 
Quote:
As part of this proposal, the Evans Creek, Lower Sandy, and Ranger Creek Campgrounds are proposed at $20 per night. The Evans Creek and Ranger Creek group campgrounds are proposed at $75 per night with group sizes of 40 and 70 people respectively. A $5 day-use fee per vehicle is proposed at Beaver Lake, Cable Drop, Camp Brown, Deception Falls, Dingford Creek, Frog Mountain, Garfield Ledges, Government Meadows Horse Camp, Jennifer Dunn, Lonesome Lake, Pratt Bar, Sauk Mountain, and White Chuck Overlook Day use areas. Lower Sauk, Marblemount, Old Sauk Universal Access, and White Chuck boat launches would be added to improve services and facilities. The Northwest Forest Pass and the full suite of Interagency passes would be honored. [Emphasis added.]
Notice of Proposed New Fee Sites, Supplementary Information (Federal Register, Sept. 6, 2022).

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 1:26 pm 
The NWFP doesn't do that. And the proposal doesn't discuss a limited timeframe about a fee on the Old Sauk trail head.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 1:33 pm 
catsp wrote:
Ask and you shall receive:
I sure missed seeing that one little tiny sentence at the end of a paragraph of stuff! up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 07, 2022 1:36 pm 
catsp wrote:
Along with the fact that it has been explained a few times already in this thread
What you just posted, with the quoted text from the proposal, is something I'd trust more than people explaining it. The quote would have been very helpful pages ago, since I've been railing about the NWFP not being mentioned in the proposal for the last few pages here. up.gif