Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bear Spray failure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 11:25 am 
okay just to keep this on a sane level I will admit that some people have the calm to pull off killing a mad pissed off griz with a handgun. bison, moose. and I personally have knowledge of a man using the old 45.70 round took the big six in africa.., It can be done...and david slew goliath with a sling and rock.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 2:47 pm 
From a total safety perspective the risk of a fatal bear attack in Washington state is pretty small. One source lists 14 attacks and 1 fatality in Washington state. https://www.goldendalesentinel.com/features/the-washington-outdoors-report-be-bear-aware/article_668f31f0-164d-11ec-ace5-97411b572455.html#:~:text=We%20have%20only%20had%2014,bear%20attacks%20are%20a%20possibility. OTH Suicide by firearm accounts for 75% of all firearm fatalities in Washington taking the lives of 7129 Washingtonians between 2010 and 2019 ( 792 per year) https://crosscut.com/opinion/2021/08/suicide-washington-states-biggest-gun-violence-problem So its an interesting statistics problem whether owning a firearm might actually increase your risk of an early death more than it reduces your chances of being killed by a bear.

cdestroyer
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 3:22 pm 
sadly I also have personal knowledge of the OTH matter

schifferj

schifferj
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 3:35 pm 
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/06/hunters-shoot-kill-grizzly-bear-idaho-fish-and-game-says-it-was-in-self-defense/ I have no idea what weapon these hunters used to defend themselves. It is telling that the Idaho Fish and Game recommended that hunters carry bear spray and keep it handy. Almost all of my hiking and backpacking is in areas where there are Grizzly bears and I encountered one a week ago on the Pacific Northwest Trail just a bit north and east of Upper Priest Lake. A "yo bear" was all it took to send this one down the road but I have to say it went from 0-60mph in a couple steps. I don't know if I could have gotten my "handy" bear spray ready to go had it chosen to come straight at me instead of going the other way.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 5:32 pm 
That's been my experience with bears too in that they normally just run away or in the case of the ma and cub feasting on berries below Goat Flats, they just ignored us. The main issue is when bears smell or get a hold of food near your camp (in your tent confused.gif ) or if you are really unlucky, to get caught between a sow and her cub/s.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 11:43 pm 
Reading a book today, "Ultralight Backpacking Tips" by Mike Clelland made me think of this thread. He likes to eat on the trail, not where he camps for the night. He say's that by eating dinner on the trail, he get's energized allowing him to travel further before setting up camp for the night. He also likes to hit the trail the next day very early, before sunrise, that way you are getting warm by hiking and also when it's still cool, than stop around an hour later and have breakfast. Pretty good and humorous book, well written.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Anne Elk
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 pm 
It also can depend on the area. Eastern Canada seems to have a lot more predatory Bear attacks. I assume because there is little food and humans are a more attractive target. I remember a guy pulled out of an outhouse by a hungry blackie and way more tent attacks. Griz are another story like the 500 lb gorilla.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 11:43 am 
I just thought I would pop this little vid in here for yalls viewing pleasure....

RichP

RichP
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 3:20 pm 
Saw this in The Times. No bear spray involved.
Quote:
Black bear attacks jogger on Whatcom County trail Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:48 am Updated Aug. 4, 2022 at 1:06 pm By Omar Shaikh Rashad Seattle Times staff reporter A black bear attacked a man jogging on a Whatcom County trail, putting him in a hospital Wednesday morning. In a forest at the foothills north of Lake Whatcom, the man was jogging when he encountered the bear and immediately began waving his hands and speaking assertively to the animal, said Chase Gunnell, a spokesperson with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. The bear attacked the man, biting his hand and wrist and injuring his feet. The man fought off the bear and was able to get away, said Captain Jennifer Maurstad with WDFW. The bear took off into the woods right afterward, she added. RELATED How to deter bears in WA and what to do if you see one The man was checked in to a local hospital and released a few hours later. Gunnell said the man did exactly what he was supposed to in that situation. WDFW officers were dispatched Wednesday morning shortly after the attack. Though they couldn’t immediately locate the bear in the area, a black bear was spotted Wednesday evening in a wooded area on the northeast corner of Lake Whatcom. A crew of 10 officers, along with a Karelian bear dog, killed the bear. WDFW will complete its investigation and attempt to match DNA from the bear with samples collected from the scene and the victim’s body. “I believe that we euthanized the bear that was involved in this incident,” Maurstad said. “There are ways we can attempt to confirm that by matching DNA and we will attempt to do that.” In Washington state, officials have recorded 18 black bear encounters that resulted in an injury since 1970. The only documented fatal black bear encounter occurred in 1974. In May, an unnaturally large black bear that had evaded capture on the Eastside for more than two years was trapped and killed near Issaquah. The 5-year-old bear was captured in the Squak Mountain area, where he was spotted raiding garbage, bird feeders and fruit trees dozens of times over nearly three years. The search for that bear had taken on greater urgency because he was frequently seen in residential areas and was wearing a collar that had grown too tight. WDFW officials advise the public to avoid bears. If approached by one, individuals should stand up, wave their hands and talk in a low voice while backing away and avoiding direct eye contact. Officials also recommend carrying bear spray.

zimmertr
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 3:39 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I just thought I would pop this little vid in here for yalls viewing pleasure....
Good luck fending off that second bear with anything but divine intervention!

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 5:16 pm 
RichP wrote:
A crew of 10 officers, along with a Karelian bear dog, killed the bear.
Wow, sad that they killed the animal. I thought typically that sort of thing was reserved for animals who had learned to associate humans with food and as a result demonstrated predatory behavior. Clearly this animal was just startled by someone running by? Does that indicate to environmentalists that the bear would be inclined to repeat that behavior again in the future?

Flickr | Strava

Anne Elk
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 6:14 pm 
I hope that second bear doesn’t run into some random hikers for a while! Thanks for posting. Beautiful animals.

Anne Elk
DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 9:44 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Does that indicate to environmentalists that the bear would be inclined to repeat that behavior again in the future?
How do you define "Environmentalist"? dizzy.gif

"May you live in interesting times"
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 6:15 am 
gb

gb
PostThu Sep 08, 2022 7:22 am