Forum Index > Trail Talk > Harts Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tomahawksplitter
Fire-Watcher

tomahawksplitter
Fire-Watcher
PostSat Sep 10, 2022 12:25 pm 
I was just in Stehekin and the smoke blew in on Thursday pretty heavy. The PCT folk were split on catching the ferry back to Chelan and calling it, continuing on (some saying they are 'paddling Ross lake to Canada!'), and chugging the morning shipment of beer into town. The ferry was full and plenty of ponchos still wondering what their next move was..
The ones continuing on were not prepared for anything other than a bag of Jaunitas and a bad sandwich from the barely open lodge. They need 30 employees and have maybe 7. Tough going for them and the temporary ('should be retired') Postmaster Sean who said he is quitting yesterday so hope everyone either gets there or out and everyone who is in Washington is safe. No going back to Stevens Pass/Skykomish now either.

slabbyd, cdestroyer
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:22 pm 
Harts Pass road is open but...... Methow Valley Ranger District- The Harts Pass #5400 road has been repaired, and the contractor completed the removal of debris from recent slides. Heavy equipment is now staged above the Guard Station and work on trailhead improvements started today. The public is advised to avoid the trailhead area during reconstruction. People can anticipate delays, no parking availability at this location and potential to encounter heavy equipment working at the trailhead—which will make maneuvering past construction a challenge.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 6:51 am 
as I recall wasn't there a gravel pit about a mile or so before the pass? It was fairly flat and open.

HikingBex

HikingBex
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 5:33 pm 
WTA is still reporting that Harts Pass is closed (and there are notices at the PCT trailheads saying the same thing…) but I asked at the ranger station in Winthrop if the road & trailheads were open and they told me they were & the road was in the best condition it had been in in years. I drove all the way to the Slate Peak parking area today without issue. There was some equipment on the road a couple miles below the end of the road, but nothing problematic. Larches are absolutely beautiful right now, but some of the further views were blocked by smoke.

seawallrunner, Now I Fly, Bramble_Scramble, brewermd, reststep, zimmertr, Randito, rubywrangler