Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin inReach Mini 2 - New & Inproved
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 8:23 am 
So I have a spot device, not the newest generation. I pay the yearly maintaince subscription. When it came to this year's subscription and monthly activation(lowest amount available) they wanted to charge me $193. I asked them why so much when I was quoted at @ $130. They told me taxes. I said that's ridiculous and haven't renewed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 11:24 am 
Zoleo. Great UX, most economical, use a dedicated app for mapping.

GNGSTR

jenkysc
jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 6:45 am 
I also use the Zooleo one. It was the least expensive and the subscription was a little cheaper as well.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostSat Sep 10, 2022 10:46 am 
Ok. I am nearing 70, often hike alone, and finally bought the new Mini Inreach Spot 2 from REI. I hated spending the $400, but alone, off trail, it would be a long time before someone wandered by. 1. The maps are not as good as the Topo app maps loaded into my iPhone. The screen is too small to be useful. 2. The software is about 1990s cell phone level, or worse. You need to play with it for a few days to be proficient. After letting it sit in the drawer for a week, about all I can do is send preset messages or push the emergency button. 3. I paired it with my cell phone. Even that software is pretty poor. It looks like an early Netscape app. 4. I ended up paying for the cheapest plan, for a year. The preset messages go to my ex wife in Europe and my sister in Montana. ;-) I plan go take it, leave it turned off to conserve battery life - in the pack - and only use it if there is a reason to push the emergency button. Summary - its a tool, not as much fun as new boots or a new pack. But if I ever need one for myself or someone else, it will be good to have. But I am not going to carry it on the shoulder strap of my pack for a hike up Cascade Pass….

ejain

ejain
PostSat Sep 10, 2022 12:28 pm 
fn1889m wrote:
leave it turned off to conserve battery life
Leaving it on might allow S&R to locate what's left of you even if you are unable to push the emergency button -- assuming your absence is reported before the battery is dead.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 10, 2022 4:58 pm 
fn1889m wrote:
The maps are not as good as the Topo app maps loaded into my iPhone.
You can download maps and it will be as good as or better than any free app out there. I much prefer it over over anything else as it's simple, free, does all I want it to do and nothing I don't need it to do.
Pull up to the area you want to download maps for and note the layers icon and 3 dots to the top right
Pull up to the area you want to download maps for and note the layers icon and 3 dots to the top right
Click on the 3 dots to the top right to download maps or see what maps you have already downloaded for the area
Click on the 3 dots to the top right to download maps or see what maps you have already downloaded for the area
Ciick on the layers icon to select what map to display and/or download maps
Ciick on the layers icon to select what map to display and/or download maps

InFlight
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 2:33 pm 
First of all, there is no such thing as a Spot Mini 2 that I can find. Are you referring to the Inreach mini 2 per chance? Also, Tom where is that screen shot showing you downloading maps coming from? The Earthmate app, Explore app?

runup
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 11, 2022 11:27 pm 
That's the earthmate app (the one that pairs with the inreach mini). Since you're likely going to have it on your phone for sending or viewing messages, it's nice that it can download and display offline maps. No need to clutter your phone with another app to display maps or pay for an app to download maps.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 12, 2022 5:32 am 
Tom wrote:
That's the earthmate app (the one that pairs with the inreach mini).
Right, that's what I assumed. I used to have that on my phone but replaced it with the Garmin Explore app since that is what the inreach mini 2 requires. It's basically the same thing but works for all Garmin devices and is a bit more user friendly than earthmate (in my opnion). Thanks.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 2:39 am 
ejain wrote:
Leaving it on might allow S&R to locate what's left of you even if you are unable to push the emergency button -- assuming your absence is reported before the battery is dead.
I considered that. But while I don’t mind bringing the thing along, I don’t want to be monitored by a wireless transmitter for my entire hike. Someday these things will be as mandatory as bear canisters and wilderness backcountry access fees. The NP service will be able to monitor the location of everyone in the backcountry by computer. And the “what’s left of you” thing - by then, who cares? It’s basically like carrying a 20 year old cell phone, but with better range. But it’s not much of a navigational aid.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 am 
fn1889m wrote:
ejain wrote:
I considered that. But while I don’t mind bringing the thing along, I don’t want to be monitored by a wireless transmitter for my entire hike. Someday these things will be as mandatory as bear canisters and wilderness backcountry access fees. The NP service will be able to monitor the location of everyone in the backcountry by computer. And the “what’s left of you” thing - by then, who cares? It’s basically like carrying a 20 year old cell phone, but with better range. But it’s not much of a navigational aid.
Do you have a cell phone? It's constantly "monitoring" you whenever you go to the grocery store. The NPS is not monitoring people in the backcountry, and the inReach is much more functional when it's turned on... wink.gif I have a Mini and I found it to be somewhat slow to acquire a GPS location - I did not have a plan with tracking, so it would have to find its location each time I pulled up the app, and this sometimes wasn't very fast. The downloaded maps are ok - basically a USGS quad, which is definitely better than nothing. However, for off trail navigation I used my phone's GPS running the Caltopo app since the GPS acquisition was faster and Caltopo's map options include LIDAR and more terrain detail. You already need your phone to use the Mini effectively (though it's not strictly necessary), so it's not a huge hassle to have a separate app for actual navigation. The Mini was more like having a backup device in case of emergency, or to send breadcrumb "I'm ok" messages to someone periodically to get free "tracking" out of it in case someone needs to come find you.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 11:42 am 
I have managed to turn off most of the tracking features on my cell phone. But I live in a small town. Knowing where someone shops is common knowledge. I think it’s more of the principle of the thing. I live minutes from the NCNP and MBNF. The cultural symbolism of functionally disconnecting from the modern world is being eroded by the fees and restrictions, as well as electronics. I left my cell phone home on my last overnight trip. It felt good. ;-) Saboteurs - toss your shoes in the machine.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm 
fn1889m wrote:
I have managed to turn off most of the tracking features on my cell phone.
You may have disabled your GPS chip with software and likewise disabled a few application's permission requests for your location information, but it would be easy for your phone's manufacturer to remotely enable it once more. Sounds like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat? Maybe consider when Google remotely enabled Battery Saver on Pixel phones (mine included) in 2018 by accident, demonstrating the capability: https://old.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9fkrvw/is_anyone_elses_power_saving_mode_turning_itself/e5xl907/ https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/14/17861150/google-battery-saver-android-9-pie-remote-settings-change Furthermore, when a cell phone is connected to a data network it emits broadcast radio signals. These signals are received by radio towers and contain a unique identification number referred to as an IMEI number as well as a SIM card associated with an identity. Using trigonometry it's then trivial to determine someone's location to within alarming levels of accuracy. https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/884807/find-x-location-using-3-known-x-y-location-using-trilateration Consider, the following coordinate pairs and radii: Your Location: (X,Y) RT1 Location: (x1, y1, r1) RT2 Location: (x2, y2, r2) RT3 Location: (x3, y3, r3) In this case, (X,Y) is the location centrally located to the distance from each radio tower's known coordinates.
Code:
findLocation(x1,y1,r1,x2,y2,r2,x3,y3,r3): A = 2*x2 - 2*x1 B = 2*y2 - 2*y1 D = 2*x3 - 2*x2 E = 2*y3 - 2*y2 C = r1^2 - r2^2 - x1^2 + x2^2 - y1^2 + y2^2 F = r2^2 - r3^2 - x2^2 + x3^2 - y2^2 + y3^2 x = (C*E - F*B) / (E*A - B*D) y = (C*D - A*F) / (B*D - A*E) return x,y
This is all ignoring, of course, how financial institutions track credit/debit card purchases and sell the data to marketing agencies, large cities leverage license plate scanning software in police vehicles and traffic cameras, software companies use digital fingerprinting & cookies to track your internet browsing even when you're not logged in, etc. It's unavoidable. Best to at least embrace the post-privacy world when you're in the backcountry such that if you are maimed and unconscious your body can at least be recovered for your loved ones. Or do as Richard Stallman does and ask strangers if you can borrow their phone when you need one instead of owning one yourself. https://stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html
Quote:
When I need to call someone, I ask someone nearby to let me make a call. If I use someone else's cell phone, that doesn't give Big Brother any information about me.
Your choice. I know it certainly makes my partner more comfortable when she is able to know my location in the backcountry in real time.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 4:00 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
fn1889m wrote:
I have managed to turn off most of the tracking features on my cell phone.
You may have disabled your GPS chip with software and likewise disabled a few application's permission requests for your location information, but it would be easy for your phone's manufacturer to remotely enable it once more. Sounds like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat?
It's common knowledge that smart phone makers and other tech vendors are not completely forthright about how the technology they make function. agree.gif

ejain

ejain
PostThu Sep 15, 2022 4:31 pm 
fn1889m wrote:
I don’t want to be monitored by a wireless transmitter for my entire hike.
Automatic trackpoint sending requires a more expensive subscription, and has to be enabled. Keeping your device on does make it possible for Garmin to query your location (e.g. if they have a request from law enforcement). I'm comfortable with that, but YMMV.