Forum Index > Trip Reports > Greenwater area dumpster diving Sept 12, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 6:17 am 
Not really close to Greenwater but all accessible from FR 70 which is a popular destination for dispersed camping and The PCT passes nearby. Roads go all over the place up here. Started on Sawmill Ridge which is a short hike up an open ridge from the roadway.
Approaching the summit of Sawmill Ridge
Approaching the summit of Sawmill Ridge
From here I could spot some other objectives through the haze.
Colquhoun Peak
Colquhoun Peak
Kakawak
Kakawak
Pechugh Peak
Pechugh Peak
Colquhoun is a trail hike. The road to the TH is in decent shape but some clearance is nice in a couple of rutted spots. A short hike gets you to the top. Shooting from the quarry below is fairly constant.
Summit area
Summit area
Hazy views
Hazy views
TH
TH
Kakawak is a short hike up from the road saddle below. Some brush along the way but not bad. I could see my next peak from the slopes.
Pechugh
Pechugh
Pechugh has a decent road to just below the top. Some open forest walking leads to the treed summit. I saw a pickup at the end of the road and knew hunters were nearby.
open forest on the way to Pechugh
open forest on the way to Pechugh
Kakawak from the road to Pechugh
Kakawak from the road to Pechugh
Next up was Pyramid Peak. I parked at Windy Gap and took a short connector to the PCT. I then walked south for about one mile to the spur to Pyramid. Some blowdown on this .7 mile trail but not too bad. I ran into some bowhunters on top.
Cruising the PCT
Cruising the PCT
Trail to Pyramid Mtn
Trail to Pyramid Mtn
Summit
Summit
Pyramid Peak junction from The PCT
Pyramid Peak junction from The PCT
Next up was a triple divide highpoint, Windy Gap North. A very short hike up from Windy Gap in brush and open forest. I crossed an old trail on the way up and down.
Windy Gap North
Windy Gap North
Windy Gap North summit
Windy Gap North summit
I drove a short distance up the road for my final peak, "Roadster." A super short hike up open slopes with huckleberries lower down.
Roadster summit
Roadster summit
There were a couple of other points further ahead but I can use that as a motive to come back up here in berry season. Not a bad area to poke around a bit.

Now I Fly, Fred Beavon, hikerbiker, jaysway, Randito, Gimpilator, ChinookPass, raising3hikers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
A. Hall

A. Hall
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 6:51 am 
Did a few of those peaks the day before you. Smoke was a lot worse and I didn't want to breathe that stuff so I cut my day a little short. Wanted to also get blowout, blowpast, and rejoyce, but I guess I'll save those for another day as well.

RichP
RichP

RichP
PostWed Sep 14, 2022 7:20 am 
A. Hall wrote:
Did a few of those peaks the day before you.
I saw that you had been up there on peakbagger. FWIW, I did Blow Past and Blowout from the other side and recall it as being a pretty nice hike. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8020987&highlight=blow+past

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jul 07, 2023 9:25 pm 
I was just looking at that area on the Nat Geo cd. Nice and quiet looking from your pics. up.gif