Forum Index > Gear Talk > CA considers banning green propane cylinders
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSat Sep 17, 2022 6:13 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Interesting that they are now making refillable at the gas station one pound tanks.
I don't know of any 1-lb station-refillables. Just the Little Kamper which has an exchange program.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 17, 2022 9:00 pm 
For car camping the refillable 5 lb propane tanks seem like a pretty good choice. I usually go through more than one green cylinder on a typical car camping trip, so a 5 lb tank you can top off as you go seems like a better solution than developing a collection of partialy used 1lb tanks. Especially since during busy camping season the supply of green cylinders can be problematic. Flame King YSN5LB 5 Pound Propane Tank Cylinder, Great For Portable Grills, Fire Pits, Heaters And Overlanding, White https://a.co/d/dvnr8XK Flame King SS-QCC-1LB 5' QCC to CGA600 Male Connection-Steel Braided Hose https://a.co/d/bcliB9H

altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:58 am 
Does anyone know if and where you can recycle the green Colman 1 pound propane cans? I have a collection in my basement and haven't figured out what I am supposed to do with them. Also, how do you recycle the isobutane cans? Just puncture with a nail and stick in recycling? Thanks.

neek

neek
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 9:56 am 
Depends on where you live. See details for Seattle at https://www.seattle.gov/utilities/your-services/collection-and-disposal/where-does-it-go#/item/isobutane-fuel-canisters. There are drop off spots if you don't want to throw away, but you can't put either in the recycling. Don't know what your options are in Tacoma.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 am 
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 8:02 am 
Thanks for the information. It confirmed what I thought the current situation is; both green propane cans and isobutane cans go straight into the landfill and can't be recycled. The whole reason I have been collecting them in my basement for years is I thought by this point in time, some benevolent corporation or progressive city would have started to recycle them. But sounds like that is not the case. I imagine an avid backpacker could fill the inside of a car with all the fuel cans they go through in their lifetime, which is sitting in a landfill forever. I no longer use the green propane cans because I refill mine but they really need to figure out a refilling system for the isobutane cans (where is Yvon when we need him?)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 8:33 am 
I have recycled the IsoButane canisters by emptying them completely (attaching a stove, lighting it and letting burn out) and then pucturing the canister with a chisel and a hammer. The steel in the green propane canisters is thicker and harder to puncture. I believe they would recycle just fine if they were cut open and 100% empty of propane. But I'm sure the track record of people doing this properly and not injuring themselves in the process isn't good enough for the county to recommend this. I think I'll be getting one of those 5lb tanks for car camping.

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:05 am 
Randito wrote:
I have recycled the IsoButane canisters by emptying them completely (attaching a stove, lighting it and letting burn out) and then pucturing the canister with a chisel and a hammer.
Are you allowed to do that? I am not reading that this is an option at any of the "where to put them" government postings. You may be pissing off the recycling people who are just pulling them out and throwing them in the landfill. If this is allowed, they should TELL people to do this.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:16 am 
I think the county is reluctant to advertise it as an option because of the risk presented to workers of not completely empty canisters dumped in recycling by sloppy people. With garbage not completely empty canisters presents less risk of injury to workers. https://www.rei.com/product/813638/jetboil-crunchit-recycling-tool

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:33 am 
Ya, I was familiar with that little puncture device REI sells. But we have a private company telling me it is ok to do this and put it in the recycling bin, and then the government telling me to throw it in the garbage. When faced with this predicament, I am going to follow what the government is telling me to do. If it is ok to do this, the government needs to tell people to do this, or at least say it is ok to do this. Alternatively, REI could start collecting the cans and do the puncturing themselves and then take them directly to the recycling themselves. Maybe the government would have more faith that REI isn't going to screw it up (and put the recycling workers in danger) than the average joe. Again, the real solution is refillable cans, because recycling is a bit of bs.

neek

neek
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:56 am 
Don't forget the 3rd R, reduce. Even with refillable containers, you're still burning a fossil fuel. Also, canisters only represent a fraction of the environmental impact of outdoor recreation, which in turn pales in comparison to running a typical household. If you want to reduce your footprint, focus on the usual suspects: eat less meat, drive less, buy less junk, insulate, etc. But I think the main goal of the CA program is to reduce the risk and burden to rangers who have to deal with all the spent canisters. In 10 years we'll just plug kettles into our electric cars and it won't be a problem.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 3:17 pm 
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:54 pm 
FYI:
Quote:
UPDATED SEPTEMBER 28, 2022 In 2018, we launched a partnership with MSR to develop a recycling program for our members to safely and responsibly dispose of empty isopro-style fuel canisters. Four years later and this program is still running. We invite you to participate following the guidelines below.
https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/recycle-your-empty-isopro-fuel-canisters-at-the-seattle-program-center?fbclid=IwAR3DCqVSgWRieR5jY8oV45rCprSVNT9-Bzr6pJUlmLK75j7AUes91BNTf9M

neek