Forum Index > Trail Talk > Safe scrambles for a 13-year-old kid with poor self-preservation instincts?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
alpenglow

alpenglow
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:40 pm 
My son loves scrambling on rocks, but befitting a teenager has, let's just say, an underdeveloped sense of mortality, and difficulty imagining gravity-related consequences. As his father, I have the opposite problem. Some examples of hikes/scrambles we've done that he loved but which had me sweating bullets at various points are the Haystack on Mt. Si, Delicate Arch in Arches NP (which has a few fairly exposed spots to get to the arch itself, a couple folks slipped and died there a few months after we went), and even Rattlesnake Ledge, which we hike routinely but he loves pushing the envelope of how close to the edge he'll go. Any suggestions for hikes with fun 3rd, maybe short 4th class scrambling components, within a couple of hours of Seattle, of let's say Mt. Si-Haystack-ish difficulty or below, that have relatively little risk of a serious fall? As in, I'm willing to accept a small risk of a broken bone or two, but I don't want to have to worry about both of us coming back home alive (Little Si is a good example, as it has some rocks at the top that lets him safely get some scrambling energy out). The bigger the views, the better. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 7:42 pm 
Scrambles I have done, 3 Fingers, Pugh, Vesper and Mt Forgotten. I felt very safe on Forgotten and Vesper, not so much on the other 2...Stilliguamish peak I have also done, but the approach is really long and it isn't really a scramble imo, few rocks. Of them all I would recommend Vesper. I think going up Headlee pass is the most dangerous part due to possible rockfall from above.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:19 pm 
Maybe, Red Mountain! There is some route finding (minimal), and a bit of loose rock. Plenty of information to be found for Red online. :-)

MackAttack

MackAttack
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:21 pm 
Vesper seems like a pretty good recommendation. Lots of stuff in the Teanaway is scrambly but not too exposed like Bean, Earl, South Ingalls. You can make Granite mountain more of a scramble by taking the ridge for the final push instead of the trail.

zimmertr
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:50 pm 
North Twin Sister, West Ridge. Unique Olivine rock is very solid and feels like sandpaper.

Shred

Shred
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:56 pm 
Del Campo and Gothic are a nice little scramble

Chief Joseph
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 10:28 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Maybe, Red Mountain! There is some route finding (minimal), and a bit of loose rock. Plenty of information to be found for Red online. :-)
Red isn't exposed per se but if you slip it's going to be a long slide down a cheese-grader! My vote would be traversing from Ingalls Lake to Lake Ann over South Ingalls Peak & Fortune Peak. Lots of great slabs and easy class 3 (Can opt higher if you want) and soon the larches will be popping.

Flickr | Strava

Now I Fly
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 10:35 pm 
MackAttack wrote:
Lots of stuff in the Teanaway is scrambly but not too exposed like Bean, Earl, South Ingalls.
Any of these above three would be great. Also Bald Mountain via the Ashland Lakes is scrambly near the summit. ~z

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:18 pm 
"Red isn't exposed per se but if you slip it's going to be a long slide down a cheese-grader!" Yeah, you're probably right! It's been over fifty years since I was thirteen. doof.gif

solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:42 am 
Well if he’s really pushing limits at Rattlesnake I would NOT take him up Guye Peak, but neighboring (and 1000ft higher) Snoqualmie Mt is a nice scramble with a great view and not a lot of exposure at top. There are quite a few off 1-90 if you want to keep travel to a minimum. Bandera and Pratt Mountains, and Mt Defiance all have nice views. Mailbox, like Si, is a long slog to get out of the trees but is a bit of a scramble when you finally get there. Dirty Harry’s and Putrid Pete’s Peaks are ok, I would not recommend McClellen Butte on the south side of 90 given you want to minimize exposure. Your son might enjoy the rock scramble up Melakwa Pass (above the lake) where you can sit and peer down on Chair Peak Lake (and there are no sheer drop offs at the pass so you can let him roam in reasonable comfort). I’d save Kaleeten peak for a time when he’s ready. Tinkham and Silver Peaks are nice but I’m not a fan of the road out of Hyak and I think Annette Lake trail is closed so you can’t go that way. Alta Mountain from Rachel lake is great but a long day. I would avoid going up Rampart Ridge from Lillian, like Rattlesnake and Guye - it’s fine to get to but once you’re there the cliff down the other side is a dramatic drop. You can go to Alta from Lillian though, for a more scenic hike (and shorter drive) than from Rachel, just skip the side trip up to the top of Rampart Ridge. Lots of other choices abound but these are a few with minimal driving.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:30 am 
alpenglow wrote:
My son loves scrambling on rocks, but befitting a teenager has, let's just say, an underdeveloped sense of mortality, and difficulty imagining gravity-related consequences. As his father, I have the opposite problem. Some examples of hikes/scrambles we've done that he loved but which had me sweating bullets at various points are the Haystack on Mt. Si, Delicate Arch in Arches NP (which has a few fairly exposed spots to get to the arch itself, a couple folks slipped and died there a few months after we went), and even Rattlesnake Ledge, which we hike routinely but he loves pushing the envelope of how close to the edge he'll go. Any suggestions for hikes with fun 3rd, maybe short 4th class scrambling components, within a couple of hours of Seattle, of let's say Mt. Si-Haystack-ish difficulty or below, that have relatively little risk of a serious fall? As in, I'm willing to accept a small risk of a broken bone or two, but I don't want to have to worry about both of us coming back home alive (Little Si is a good example, as it has some rocks at the top that lets him safely get some scrambling energy out). The bigger the views, the better. Thanks!
AHHHH. Fatherhood! Isn't is wonderful!!!! AND STRESSFUL!!! Hint....we were all great at being teenagers....but our children...they just don't know!!!!

Art is an adventure.
neek

neek
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:53 am 
I think so much depends on the kid - their preferences, skills, respect for gravity as you put it, and let me add understanding the potential of loose rock. From your description, I would stick with 3rd class. The Haystack is easy, solid 3rd class. It sounds like you may want to avoid highly exposed or loose 3rd class for the time being, let alone 4th class. We are in a similar situation with an 11 year old who loves to climb up rocks. But he is very careful, has taken climbing classes, and seems to have natural ability. We went up Si recently with a friend. I let him go ahead while I helped the friend with the start of the Haystack. I thought he'd wait a little ways up, but found him at the top, asking me what took so long. Lots of good suggestions above. Some are steep class 2, others have a bit of exposure that might make you nervous. I'll add Davis to the list: leave the trail at 5800' and scramble up the south ridge to the central summit. Also Kendall Peak along the PCT (there's a trail, but you can also scramble the ridge from the north). And there's a ton of stuff at Exit 38 that doesn't involve much hiking. Find some rocks to scramble, or set up a top rope for more technical routes. We're always looking for partners, but with school and activities, only have Saturdays open for the time being.
Olympic coast has a lot of fun rocks to play on
Olympic coast has a lot of fun rocks to play on
South Petunia, Olympics
South Petunia, Olympics
Gothic. You can stick to the scree but this blocky  ridge is more fun
Gothic. You can stick to the scree but this blocky ridge is more fun

zimmertr, Chief Joseph
alpenglow

alpenglow
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 12:59 pm 
Lots of great suggestions, thank you!