Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fires ..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 9:37 pm 
You lookout aficionados. I know historically that cut all the trees that blocked L.O. views. Was volume normally low enough that they were able to send the wood up the stove’s chimney. Or did they pile and burn?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:38 am 
Purpleair shows the plume of bad air that is no doubt coming from the Bolt Creek Fire this morning with offshore flow:
The purple bullseye, that's close to me in Brier. There is a very strong smell of burnt wood. frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Cyclopath
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 am 
Pyrites wrote:
You lookout aficionados. I know historically that cut all the trees that blocked L.O. views. Is volume normally low enough that there were able to send the wood up the stove’s chimney. Or did they pile and burn?
There may have not been that much to bother with. Most of the ancient lookout photos I've seen have lookouts up on bald peaks with what looks like a major fire burned area below. As in wildfire.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Pyrites, Ski
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 11:23 am 
The smoke from the Bolt Creek Fire has now almost reached Bremerton but is still in such a narrow plume that the air in Edmonds and Seattle is better: dizzy.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 6:24 am 
OK. Here's this. A red flag warning has been issued for the Okanogan Valley from noon to 7 pm today for strong northerly winds combined with low relative humidity. Winds and low humidities are expected again on Wednesday. We will continue to evaluate if further highlights are needed on Wednesday.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 7:31 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Purpleair shows the plume of bad air that is no doubt coming from the Bolt Creek Fire this morning with offshore flow:
The purple bullseye, that's close to me in Brier. There is a very strong smell of burnt wood. frown.gif
Yesterday was pretty odd in that way. In the AM skies were reasonably clear in far north Seattle and I could see Mount Constance early, then I drove and took a walk at Green Lake mid to late morning. It remained decent then. But when I returned to far north Seattle around 11 the smoke was as bad as it could be with smoke visible on a block by block basis. But then it improved by around 1 or 2.

philfort

philfort
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 pm 
The sentinel-hub website finally has a view of the Bolt Creek fire post-burn (from yesterday):

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 1:00 pm 
Is Bolt Creek now the largest fire of our lifetimes in Washington that was West of the Cascade crest and North of Snoqualmie Pass, that burned 100% West of the crest? The only other reasonably large one I can think of is Goodell Creek in 2015. Not positive of total burned for that fire but it was more than 6,716 acres. Bolt Creek is reported as 10,193 acres right now. Both of these seem similar in that they were mainly burning south sides of a steep, rocky, slope. Norse Peak Fire burned West of the crest and was 55,920 acres in 2017 but it also burned East of the crest. And the west side forest is different, and much drier and dense, down there than north of Snoqualmie Pass.

philfort

philfort
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 1:18 pm 
Red flag warning today on the west slopes of the Cascades shakehead.gif https://twitter.com/KingCountyWA/status/1572295043410317312?s=20&t=QRKkP8FnQSBF-DSggOILRQ

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 1:51 pm 
philfort wrote:
Red flag warning today on the west slopes of the Cascades shakehead.gif https://twitter.com/KingCountyWA/status/1572295043410317312?s=20&t=QRKkP8FnQSBF-DSggOILRQ
We will get another one most likely at the beginning of next week.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 4:15 pm 
Evergreen Mountain? Edit: Answered my own question. Not even on the list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_wildfires

tlake

tlake
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 6:04 pm 
Fire near exit 42 on I90.

Cyclopath
philfort

philfort
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 7:20 pm 
tlake wrote:
Fire near exit 42 on I90.
Looks like the exit 45 west bound onramp? Probably a tossed cigarette. https://twitter.com/EastsideFire/status/1572370531630088193

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 7:38 pm 
I just came over 90 since 2 is closed. Looked like that I 90 fire was starting to take off. There was personell on it but flames were pretty intense.

Fedor  Cyclopath
rossb

rossb
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Norse Peak Fire burned West of the crest and was 55,920 acres in 2017 but it also burned East of the crest. And the west side forest is different, and much drier and dense, down there than north of Snoqualmie Pass.
I agree about that last part. Rainier acts like the crest itself, with a rain shadow on its east side. It isn't as wide (a lot of the clouds go around) but you can find plants that normally only live east of the crest in that general area. In contrast, Skykomish is definitely west side. The clouds are pushed up in that area (along with the funneling effect of the Skykomish River). It gets a huge amount of precipitation each year.