Forum Index > Trail Talk > New Roof for the Granite Mountain Lookout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 1:59 pm 
Perpetrations for Granite Mountain Lookouts new roof began this weekend. Volunteer's organized by the Snoqualmie Fire Lookout Association attempted to pack supplies to the lookout with the use of Lammas. Apparently the Lammas were a young team and chose not to participate, traveling less than a mile up the trail. I spoke with a SFLA volunteer at the lookout. He mentioned the material would probably be carried up by hand. I'm guessing there will be opportunity to join in on the fun when it is scheduled. They plan to repackage the bundles into lighter load (20 lbs.) I'm not a member of SFLA but would love to help on moving day.
Preparing for a new roof for the Granite Mountain Lookout
Cheers!

Cyclopath, Fedor, fourteen410, RichP, hikerbiker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 4:04 pm 
Just curious, Granite Mountain is in wilderness. Are they allowed to repair the roof even thought its in wilderness because they are hiking in the materials and repairing on spot, rather than flying the lookout off site via helis like they did with Green Mountain?

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:17 pm 
Yes. In fact, supplies could arguably be helicoptered on, especially for active fire lookouts

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:17 pm 
The Green Mtn LO was removed from the summit not because it needed roof installation, but because it was off-kilter and the summit needed foundation work. Lookouts in wilderness can legally receive repair work. 3 Fingers is /has received extensive roof work this year as well. I feel bad for the llama owners. Granite was probably an exciting contract for them. Too bad it didn't work out!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Now I Fly, HikerJohn
RichP

RichP
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:22 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
They plan to repackage the bundles into lighter load (20 lbs.) I'm not a member of SFLA but would love to help on moving day.
Maybe someone can post here from that organization and get some volunteers. Plenty of people hike up with gallon jugs full of water. This could be a good workout for them.

Now I Fly, HikerJohn
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:31 pm 
Hi folks, Snoqualmie Fire Lookouts Association (SFLA) was set up last year to take on the care of the lookouts in the Snoqualmie Ranger District, including Granite. Granite definitely needs a new roof, and by wilderness rules we are allowed to "repair" but given the Wilderness Area rules, no way we could get a permit for a helo flight. So after being turned down by horse/mule packers, we hit upon the idea of Llamas-- it WAS a good idea, but the Llamas were fairly young and green, so they only made it about 1/4 way up before going on strike and laying down. We unloaded what they were carrying and most of this load was carried up to the lookout by SFLA volunteers or members of the public (yay!!! ). Now we have about 3/4 of the roofing staged back in North Bend, and will be setting up a "Haul Day" and inviting the public to help us out (we'll probably be handing out coffee cards to those who haul a bundle). Current bundles are 20 lbs, but we'll be dividing some down to 10 lb size, plus have securing materials (para cord, bungees, etc) to help secure loads to peoples packs. Yes, llama packers were disappointed, but they'll pack another day. For now, we are back to doing this the old fashioned way. As an aside, I'll put in a shameless plug for SFLA-- we are always looking for more volunteers. This year we staffed up Suntop and Kelly Butte, repainted the inside of KB, spot painted the outside of Suntop, worked more on the new, improved trail for Suntop, talked to over 3,000 visitors to those lookouts, logged over 2,000 hours of service, and even spotted two fires. Want to know more? Go to www.snoqualmielookouts.org Yours, John Hearing AKA Hiker John Chairperson, Snoqualmie Fire Lookouts Association

mosey, HikingBex, Opus, jaysway, Fedor, ChanceShowers, day_hike_mike, Now I Fly, hikergirl1234, RichP, zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:35 pm 
I'll haul a bundle up work schedule permitting!

Flickr | Strava

Now I Fly, HikerJohn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 7:06 pm 
John, I wonder if local firehouses might invite firefighters to use this as a fitness opportunity. also JBLM training. When I worked for WTA these groups called frequently asking for suggestions to train ( But the military would probably have more than 12 heartbeats).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Now I Fly, HikerJohn
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:34 am 
When is the "HAUL DAY"? If I have time off of work, can I bring bundles up before the "HAUL DAY"?

Art is an adventure.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 9:34 am 
They might have some trouble finding volunteers for building a lookout in which they'll basically never be allowed inside.

neek

neek
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 10:22 am 
Stefan wrote:
When is the "HAUL DAY"?
see this thread

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 am 
Kibbitzer observation: It's going to be re-roofed with wood shakes? Might be more historic, but seems unwise given the modern fire stats. Just sayin'. uhh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Cyclopath
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 10:49 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
It's going to be re-roofed with wood shakes? Might be more historic, but seems unwise given the modern fire stats. Just sayin
The structure is surrounded by . . . granite. The only trees are on the shaded, wet north slope. Hard to imagine it ever burning down but I guess it is theoretically possible. If we're going to continue to allow lookouts in the wilderness, at least keep them looking historically accurate.

Anne Elk
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am 
There is a movement to install hot tubs in these things!! Gaining traction!!

rubywrangler
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 11:59 am 
Hey Anne, not really our choice-- USFS owns the lookouts and has mandated trying to preserve the historic look as much as possible... We are at least changing over to shakes instead of shingles (more durable). Plus if there is a ground fire, shakes won't make much difference-- the rest of the wood is very dry and will burn readily, so we would hope USFS gets a crew up to wrap it in mylar. Or better, no fires on Granite!!

Now I Fly, Anne Elk