Forum Index > Trail Talk > Can't buy me rain - record dry September?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 3:44 pm 
philfort wrote:
June 21 - September 21, driest on record: https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1572636841739964416/photo/1
I think Bellingham did a bit better especially in the early part of this period. But given the dryness we are very lucky most of spring was wet and the snowpack was good; had the August thunderstorms happened in July the forest fire situation (acres burned) would be entirely different.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 21, 2022 4:01 pm 
philfort wrote:
June 21 - September 21, driest on record: https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1572636841739964416/photo/1
Wow, 9 of the 10 driest on record have all been in the last 35 years. How far back do the records go?

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 am 
I really enjoy these dry hot summers. I've grown up in this area and do remember hemp fest getting rain a lot back then. But I enjoy the smell of hot grass, trees and dirt in the mountains. The sweat and hard work of hiking in 80 degree weather and sun. The smoke doesn't bother me at all. Maybe if it was around for more than a few days a year. When winter comes back I also enjoy the cold but if I could get a summer like this every year I would.

none
gb

gb
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 12:12 pm 
Well, you can have it. But then, I have been around for awhile. As to whether "the smoke doesn't bother you at all" you may find out when you get older.

Anne Elk
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 12:59 pm 
gb wrote:
Well, you can have it. But then, I have been around for awhile. As to whether "the smoke doesn't bother you at all" you may find out when you get older.
That's true, with age comes health change and preference change. I won't always like hiking 33miles in one day but this year I did.

none
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 1:22 pm 
gb wrote:
For me it's less about physical irritation and discomfort, it bothers me as a sign that things aren't right.

gb

gb
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:37 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
gb wrote:
For me it's less about physical irritation and discomfort, it bothers me as a sign that things aren't right.
Well that, too. But I don't think there is any question that when particulates enter the lungs, if the body is unable to expel them trough the lymph system, they will remain in the lungs and either be surrounded by mucous or will embed and then be cordoned off by some type of scar tissue.

gb

gb
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:42 pm 
Bingo! Here is one such study. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6743728/ With the short historical period in which smoke has become a way of life, I am sure more studies will be coming in the coming years.

Cyclopath
gb

gb
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 6:30 pm 
It is looking like a record dry October on top of a record dry September, August, and July. At this point there appears no hope of significant rain through the 21st. But, there will be plenty of smoke....

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 6:41 pm 
I work with many transplants from out of state endlessly celebrating our continued summery weather and lack of rain. I continually have to tell them this sh## is not normal and it’s actually pretty scary.

Anne Elk, Cyclopath
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 7:37 pm 
They don't notice the air pollution? Or the dry dusty parks and trails, or how droopy the trees look, or the way the leaves seem to be falling of the trees all are once like they've just given up? Maybe if you are new you don't know you are supposed to be able to see mountains, etc...

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 7:51 pm 
gb wrote:
It is looking like a record dry October on top of a record dry September, August, and July. At this point there appears no hope of significant rain through the 21st. But, there will be plenty of smoke....
I don't remember having to water my garden regularly in October before.

Anne Elk
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 8:13 pm 
According to everyone's favorite meteorologist Cliff Mass, Seattle has registered no rain for the first half of October nine times between 1945 and 2021, with all of those dry spells occurring before 1990
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/10/valley-smoke-and-endless-summer.html

gb

gb
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 8:30 pm 
Mr. Muss cherry picks and ignores the fact that it is not just October that is dry. What does the dude say about the amount of rain since June 21st. How does that look? Oh, let me guess, he ignores that because of his agenda or agendas.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 9:10 pm 
Heartland says look over there Squirrel!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn