Forum Index > Trail Talk > New break ins Highpoint
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 23, 2022 6:22 pm 
Went to do Cableline and saw at least 4 piles of fresh glass in parking area and at least two cars with people sitting in them. Heading back into Issaquah saw 7 police cars heading up Newport toward I 90 code 3 (lights and sirens) assume not related.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

contour5
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostFri Sep 23, 2022 7:32 pm 
I was thinking a great product idea would be to have a rubber rattlesnake, battery operated to move the tail around a little, what do you think? lol.gif Or a sign on the window saying I have left nothing in here to steal but my alarm is very loud. Someone would probably damage your car just to be spiteful. How frustrating to go into nature to relieve the stress of the world only to have to worry about break ins. shakehead.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 23, 2022 8:12 pm 
I feel like that trailhead gets all the love because it's close by for literally millions of people, and easy to get to.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 23, 2022 8:42 pm 
IDK, a colleague of mine had his Land Cruiser's window smashed and his wife's purse stolen from high point after she left her purse in plain view on the passenger seat. I think the high point is a happy hunting ground for know nothing thieves looking for low hanging fruit. I was at Greenlake's Aquatheater parking area recently, the lot is sparkly there as well -- just like it was in the '80s I recently started driving a JDM vehicle -- so I think I'll be leaving the windows rolled down at popular trailheads -- the cost of a replacement piece of door glass isn't too bad: $295 from a junk yard in Japan -- but shipping is $450.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 6:28 am 
Leave nothing of value in your car at a trailhead, leave your car unlocked and consider a sigh that says “it’s open”.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 11:49 am 
Is there any indication what time most break-ins occur? As in -- mostly early before most people arrive or late when most are gone home? There are so many people coming and going during the day, I would think breaking into vehicles during the middle of the day to be pretty risky from a thief's point of view. At least that's been my logic so far...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm 
IDK, my colleague's land cruiser had the window smashed on a sunny Sunday summer afternoon with plenty of traffic. High traffic times also correspond to the highest amount of low handing fruit. I think most people's reaction to hearing car alarms is: "shut that annoying thing off" , not "call 911" And really unless police are pre-positioned to intercept, thieves are going zoom away easily from a smash and grab from highpoint.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 2:15 pm 
I had no intention to resurrect the whole break-in discussion just putting folks on notice after a hiatus after the one group was caught. Just seemed to be bad karma that night. The same night a tree fell on Cableline by the steps narrowly missing a trail runner.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

rocknclimb  SpookyKite89
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 2:23 pm 
I think it is misguided to think there are "safer" and "less safe" times to park at popular trailheads. Or for that matter even obscure trailheads. Your OP implies that this rip off was some sort of special event rather business as usual.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 3:00 pm 
It was unusual as I had not seen that much glass for quite some time and we go there often as it is only a few blocks away.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 6:19 pm 
So the parking lot had more glittery glass than normal. Having experienced my first trailhead vehicle break in back in 1975 at the Colchuck lake trailhead. I just assume anything left in the vehicle will be an invitation to broken glass. Sharpie applied to registration and insurance documents, garage door clicker left at home.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 7:14 pm 
Our first one was at Colchuck early 80’s also did not break glass just siphoned gas made it back to 11worth on fumes. Tale opener along on hike no id in car registration on phone. Nothing in car not even empty grocery bags. Someone broke glass in empty car at South Tiger TH. Nothing taken that is what insurance is for 0 deductible for glass. Used to put USMC and NRA stickers on bumper but figured morons might think there may be guns.gif inside.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 24, 2022 8:13 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Someone broke glass in empty car at South Tiger TH.
A friend of mine lived in North Seattle near Aurora back in the 80s. They needed to leave the windows rolled down and the drivers door propped open with a piece of wood (and dome light disabled) to not have either smashed glass or screwdriver + hammer + pipe wrench attacks on the lock on a regular basis. These days, in that location, I suspect you might find bear spray useful for getting people that slept in your unlocked car to move on in the morning.

zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 1:56 pm 

Backpackapalooza
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 pm 
Ha ha. Thank you for giving me a reason to waste 10 minutes. These are hilarious.