Forum Index > Trail Talk > Quilts..are they for you?? Who loves em??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:22 pm 
Hay so yeah I'm like I sorta know maybe perhaps someone could maybe if they wanted to insist this is in the gear section..Wtfever... ok so I'll edit this but I recently met several hikers who are swearing by quilts..ateast for summer... Count me as one now after purchasing an Outdoor vitals 30? Deg quilt....great upgrade at 1lb...wraps around the pad nicely... I use a t shirt to keep the inflatable pillow in place . And I made a light fleece cover for my airpad that is only from my hips up to lay my torso on .. Should weigh the cover soon. Minblowing upgrade so far!... So have used em ???...who loves em??..(that was the same question I asked about hot coffee enama's on the trail)... eek.gif eek.gif..ok actually off trail ..nevermind...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 9:24 am 
Got a Thermarest Vesper 20 quilt a year or so ago and have been liking it. I roll a round a lot while I sleep and I don't get twisted up as much as I did in the ole bag. It has two elastic bands to keep it from falling off the pad. Stuffed-up-clothes pillow doesn't stay put as well as in the hood of a bag, but it works. I hear quilts aren't as great in low-temp winter camping, but I'm not experienced with those trips and would likely need a new quilt or bag either way!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 12:45 am 
I'm always goin bag!! And I KNOW THE GEAR!!!!! I'm always goin bag!!

slabbyd
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 8:56 am 
I love my 40 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt for summer trips, but I think I'll stick with a bag for anything below freezing.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 10:45 am 
I used the REI Magma 30 quilt for the duration of our Wonderland loop, and it was great. As a side sleeper, I don't think I'll ever go back to a bag. If I really need extra warmth, I can put on a layer — no experience below freezing yet, but for everything up to that, it's been great.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 7:08 pm 
Like the weight. Supposedly 20 Enlightened eq. Like a lot of down bags you have to try and redistribute the down back to the top of your torso. I was at 32 degrees last week and had to cocoon it all around me with clothes on, a light down jacket and twas a little chilly. Next time I'm bringing the down pants which puts you right back at 2 1/2 pounds but you do get to wear the pants in the morning while sipping coffee. My rating is okay, get a little below freezing and no. Summer I use Marmot Trestles 30 about 2# saves wear and tear on the Quilt.

Chief Joseph
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 pm 
I've had a few quilts, most have been OK. But I did an open bivy (in a bivy bag) with a 30 degree EE quilt and ended up putting my rain gear on because I couldn't keep the chill out. This was summer and not below freezing. I had the pad straps on to keep it in place with an Xlite pad. I'm a rotisserie side to side sleeper and still the chill invaded when I moved. This was before EE started overstuffing their quilts so newer ones are probably warmer. If the temps are going to be anywhere below 40, I use a Nunatak 15 degree 3D quilt, which has a full zipper so I can drape if it's warmer but zip in like a bag if I need it. As others have mentioned here, I would ditch a quilt if it will get below freezing.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:27 am 
My Z pack 20' has kept me toasty down to 26 or so. The cold spot isn't at the wrap around spot, but rather up top. The Z pack drawstring is very thin and I'm afraid to crank on it. A light hoody completes the ensemble for me. Very light even in the long large option. What really sold me was having to stay in the quilt for 44 hours under a tarp in freezing rain last October. I slept on it, in it, and sat with it as a shawl. I thrived and due to it being black on one side, it dries out quickly on rocks etc.

illegitimi non carborundum!
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:19 pm 
I have a Feathered Friends Flicker UL 20° Quilt/Bag. I use it for almost everything nowadays, but I don't do much extreme stuff any more and that applies to cold temps. In my tent and with long underwear and socks on I can take it down into the low teens. If I don my fleese or puffy, then I can get down into single digits. It has a full zip, neck baffle with draw cord, and draw cord foot box. I also wear my beany cap with it. For me it is all about the multiple options for regulating temperature as I can get alternatively cold and hot throughout the night. I have a home-made fitted sheet (2oz) that allows me to completely throw off the quilt and not stick to the mattress on extra warm nights. But in my mind, there is no doubt that a sleeping bag is warmer than a quilt. If I was going to maximize warmth, a bag is way warmer than a quilt. YMMV Instead I maximize veritility for 3-season backpacking, so a quilt is my choice. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

InFlight
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:25 pm 
I've been using a super cheap Costco purchased down quilt for years. Works great for summer trips! I combine it with a three-season bag for colder November nights. That said, I almost always sleep in my MSR Hubba. agree.gif

pula58

pula58
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:43 pm 
I have a Nunatak 20 degree quilt. A quilt with a separate down hood is way more comfortable. Way less condensation from my breath as the hood follows my head, as opposed to a mummy bag hoods. So, side sleeping, yup! Oh, and the quilt is lighter and takes up less space in my backpack. With a good down hood I find that I get a really good seal around my neck. So, the quilt with separate down hood ends-up being, for me, warmer, less drafty than a mummy style bag. Drafts have not ben a problem. We frequently go winter backpacking and sleeping down to 16 degrees F (outside the tent) has been comfy. We do use a winter tent that has mostly fabric inner liner (i.e. very little mesh) and the inside temperature is typically 5-6 degrees F warmer than the outside air. I am not sure I would ever go back to a regular bag.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:47 pm 
I am regretting my sleeping bag investments because I think I would be better off with a quilt. When I keep my arms inside my bag they are too restricted and my hands/arms fall asleep and wake me up. Last trip I found that wearing a fleece + down puffy coat and unzipping the top part of my sleeping bag to allows my arms more freedom worked out better for me.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 10:09 pm 
Seems the way to go for summer trips so far . Worth mentioning a short fleece wrap around the pad..so from my hips to shoulders I have something other just pad to lay on... Also even with the regular length I'm short enuf to actually pull it rover my head. Mostly...but a down hood is a good idea... If ordering again a long wide version would def. Fit over, just not sure how snug the sides would be .although on the regular width I was very surprised to have no draft issues..the sides are snug! Several in videos on using the 20deg.quilt (we all wear long underwear)...for winter camping.. But in snow your going heavy usually anyway .. The 20 deg would be great for spring snow camp or late season camping... Super happy with outdoor vitals..$220 to $250..ya can't beat that...best gear upgrade I've made In a while.. But you do need the r3 or better pads ..got the light version of an exped pad ...that rei sells .

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 12:37 am 
Another Feathered Friends Flicker 20 degree quilt recommendation. I have the Tall & Wide version. Really flexible between blanket/variable length quilt/headless sleeping bag. Much easier for side sleepers not to have a hooded bag twisting around at night when you switch sides. The wide version as a bag has enough room to bend your knees inside and easily put your arms inside or outside. (I tried both regular tall and wide tall versions in the store.) Depending on temperature I’ll wear a fleece beanie on moderate evenings. On colder days I use wear my hooded down sweater, and if it’s really cold I have one of the OR down beanies for under the down sweater.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau