Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 11:09 am 
This was far from them most exciting trip, but I got a lot of joy of photographing this area. I pulled the trigger on this trip at the last minute and with time constraints the next day I needed to find a pretty short trail. The way up only involved some scrambling because I didn't take the best social trail (didn't have any beta, just used a map), but going down I took a better route and it was just a steep trail. Great clouds in the evening and then clear the next day with some haze from the Goat Rocks Fire. Pictures here are in roughly reserve chronological order as this order builds to more drama with the cloudy sunset. I would love to come back here with more time and get up onto the ridge and maybe scramble some of the nearby peaks.
There were two groups of day hikers up here for sunset, one from Seattle and the other from Utah
There were two groups of day hikers up here for sunset, one from Seattle and the other from Utah

ALW Hiker, Prosit, awilsondc, half fast, HikingBex, rubywrangler, RichP, zimmertr  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 20, 2022 1:14 pm 
jaysway wrote:
'Wow' for the collection. And this one in particular. Very nice. ~z

jaysway
half fast

half fast
PostThu Sep 22, 2022 10:21 pm 
jaysway wrote:
up.gif up.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:42 pm 
Vesper: 9/25-26 About 40 cars at the trailhead around 1:30pm on Sunday, several parties were overnight on Saturday night but nobody else was there Sunday night. Trail has been liberally brushed for the first mile or so. No water after the river crossing until the outlet of the lake. No mosquitoes anymore, but the biting flies are still out and super annoying. Got bit behind both ears, several on the arm, etc. There's a yellowjacket nest right in the middle of the trail about 4/10 of a mile past the river crossing, right where the trail re-enters the forest after the steep switchbacks up the exposed slope. About a 1" hole right under a root spanning the whole trail, but it can be easily bypassed on the left without bothering them (much). Didn't encounter anyone mentioning the bees, so maybe they're not in fully pissed off mode yet.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

jaysway, mosey, RichP
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 7:06 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
There's a yellowjacket nest right in the middle of the trail about 4/10 of a mile past the river crossing, right where the trail re-enters the forest after the steep switchbacks up the exposed slope. About a 1" hole right under a root spanning the whole trail, but it can be easily bypassed on the left without bothering them (much). Didn't encounter anyone mentioning the bees, so maybe they're not in fully pissed off mode yet.
Wow! Good job on spotting them and avoiding any attack. It's just ridiculous how they choose a busy trail when they have the whole mountain. Maybe it's a part of their modus operandi. Lot of good information here in this article about hikers and yellow jackets. ~z

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 7:22 pm 
When do they achieve fully pissed off mode?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Wow! Good job on spotting them and avoiding any attack.
It was actually surprisingly easy to spot, because the trail is fairly steep in that area, so the hole in the ground is more or less at eye level when about 15 feet away. I'm also hyper paranoid about Yellowjackets after I stepped on a nest and got stung about 40 times several years back (worst itching I've ever experienced once the stings subsided), so I was actively on the lookout for possible nest holes along the trail.
Sky Hiker wrote:
When do they achieve fully pissed off mode?
In my experience, once the temps dip into the 40s (or below) at night, but before it starts freezing consistently. They get super aggressive when the season is about to end.

jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 9:42 am 
Some shots from my long weekend. I won't provide too much commentary, but here are some miscellaneous thoughts: I saw one bear a day for four days (it is quite possible that my third and fourth bear sightings were the same bear). Despite people carpooling it somehow felt like there was a mismatch between the crazy number of people I saw while coming down to the trailhead on Sunday and the more modest number of cars at and beyond the trailhead. I love how trails can go from crowded to not seeing another human as soon as you take a less-traveled fork and then go cross-country. And finally, while there were a lot of people it was a beautiful weekend (minus an awful Friday night and smoke coming in on Sunday) and I'm happy that lots of people got outside. Thursday
Friday-Sunday

mosey, hikerbiker, RichP  awilsondc  ALW Hiker  HikingBex
RichP

RichP
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 4:36 pm 
Red Mtn West, Peak 5357 and Fools Day Peak Sept 26, 2022 Red Mountain West and Peak 5357 are located near Little Joe Lake up FR 4312 (Thorp Ck). I wanted to bag both of these so I devised a loop up the trail and bushwhacked back down to FR 121 which is decommissioned but still passable for hiking. This all worked and ended up being a 6.7 mile loop with about 2500' of gain. Though I saw several cars at the trailhead, I didn't see anybody else except right at the start. This is also a route to Red Mtn and Thorp Mtn.
Fools Day peak which I would visit later in the day
Fools Day peak which I would visit later in the day
One of the larger blowdowns on Trail#1330.1
One of the larger blowdowns on Trail#1330.1
Little Joe Lake on its way to becoming a meadow
Little Joe Lake on its way to becoming a meadow
Red Mtn from Red West
Red Mtn from Red West
Red Mtn West summit views
I dropped back down to the 5000' saddle below Red Mtn West and headed over to peak 5357. There are some boulder gardens on the way up after leaving the trail but nothing difficult.
Peak 5357 to the west
Peak 5357 to the west
Red Mtn West from near the top of Peak 5357
Red Mtn West from near the top of Peak 5357
After dropping down to FR 121, I walked back to my car and drove up the road a short distance to spur 125 to see if it was drivable. Much to my surprise it was and I made it to about 4200' before encroaching brush stopped me. I parked and walked the rest of the way up. The road actually improves higher up and I was soon at the end. I bushwhacked up through thick young timber and huckleberries and entered mature forest on the west ridge of Fools Day Peak which is usually done as a snowshoe from the opposite side. A nice ridge walk led to the top at 5203' which took about 45 min from my car.
nearing the summit of Fools Day Peak on the west ridge
nearing the summit of Fools Day Peak on the west ridge

mosey, hikerbiker
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 7:28 pm 
I wanted fall color and meadows but not many people, with a reasonable drive from Seattle so I could get back to watch the Ms, today. What I really wanted was the color you see at Paradise at its peak, where it's just a sea of red and yellow, but didn't want to deal with Paradise crowds. I tried Berkeley Park. White River entrance at 10:15, only 6 cars in line, all had passes. 2 cars at the Owyhigh Lakes th; only one roadside spot left at Summerland; tons of room in the Sunrise lot. There was some color; there was a nice stretch right before the Berkeley Park campsites. But not as much as I'd hoped. You can see Mt Fremont Lookout in this.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat Oct 01, 2022 6:16 am 
Great day Thursday out of the smoke

mosey, HikingBex, Roly Poly, awilsondc, hikerbiker  jaysway
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:23 pm 
Finally did some rafting in my old Curtis raft, perfect fall weather. Fished Boardman lake, no luck but had a couple of strikes and there were a few fish rising. Everything is late this year so still a few bugs for the fishies. Today went to my fav lake (PM for info) right away caught a 10" fat Cutt on a dry fly, then a 12" inch fattie on a wet fly trolled. My son caught a nice 10" Rainbow. All was good except my raft bottom is leaking again, so sat in about 4" of water, good thing it was warm. Had a friend come and visit, we hiked to the Wigwams old fire lookout peak on the east side of Priest lake last week, Hunt lake, Hughes ridge fire lookout, Hughes meadows and the trail up to Cabinet pass.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

jaysway, RichP, mosey, KascadeFlat
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 7:20 pm 
Fire in disguise
Went goofing around on SE slopes of Cashmere yesterday. Slow pace and strenuous effort convinced me to quit while ahead, after barely finishing the approach. Goofing off kept to a minimum. Thick smoke in Wenatchee valley pushes into Icicle as the day progresses. The journey begins.
1st of 14,000 steps
1st of 14,000 steps
Up up and away.
Smoke in the valley.
Where's Tibbets?
Where's Tibbets?
Goofing around. Saying hi to old friends.
goofing up
goofing up
getting down
getting down
To all my friends!
To all my friends!
Contribution to Sherpa Balanced Rock vs Sherpa main summit debate
whose higher?
whose higher?
Smoke in the valley. Remix.
extended jam
extended jam
Mountains leave me weak in the knees. Time to go home.
only 350 steps to go
only 350 steps to go
3h up, 2h down, 1.5h goofing around. 3,500 steps on good footing. 14,000 steps on steep sidehills.

jaysway, mosey, hikerbiker, awilsondc  KascadeFlat
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 10:56 pm 
Went back up to Island lake past Boardman for the first time in about 10 years to see how the fishing was, it wasn't, not a single riser despite there still being quite a bit of bug activity. Pretty brutal hike for an out of shape old guy, although the trail is in great shape and has been brushed out within about a half mile of the lake, lots of ups and downs and really steep up at the end. Pretty clean campsites, a couple of rusty cans in the fire pit and an un-opened can of shittake mushrooms someone left (it's going into my next batch of spaghetti). Between the horrible 6+ mile road and no fish, I won't soon be going back to this area, except maybe to try to find a seekrit lake that is rumored to hold big fish. We were also surprised to actually find some decent blue hucks, a bit bitter but ate a couple dozen anyway. We found them at about 3300'. No people at all and a very nice, scenic little lake, so if you aren't into fishing, but natures beauty and solitude, this is the place for you. For an even cooler and isolated setting, take a short raft trip to the island.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

KascadeFlat
RichP

RichP
PostSat Oct 08, 2022 4:35 pm 
Seven Devils in Idaho for a climb of He Devil. I brought up a new register courtesy of a local outdoor gear shop in Moscow and took the old one down which was broken. Turns out the old register wan't even on the summit which is the next bump east. So the new one is there. The unofficial trail over Goat Pass is ingenious. Stopped by the Heaven's Gate on the way out and chatted with the lookout on the final weekend of the season.
Camp at Sheep Lake
Camp at Sheep Lake
Early light on He Devil
Early light on He Devil
8740, a bonus peak
8740, a bonus peak
She Devil
She Devil
Looking up to He Devil
Looking up to He Devil
Lakes and Hells canyon
Lakes and Hells canyon
Getting close
Getting close
Not the summit
Not the summit
Back down to Sheep Lake from Peak 8740
Back down to Sheep Lake from Peak 8740
Farewell He Devil
Farewell He Devil
Heaven's Gate Lookout
Heaven's Gate Lookout

Now I Fly, Chief Joseph, Nancyann, mike, hikerbiker, jaysway, rubywrangler, ALW Hiker, mosey, HitTheTrail  KascadeFlat