Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Cradle-N. & S. Pks 7467' 9/23-24/2022~via Scatter creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 7:56 pm 
It'd been a couple of weeks since being in the high country so a trip was long overdue. The weather looked nice and chill Friday-Saturday so Hans and I decided to give The Cradle a go. I'd seen this peak from numerous vantages so I was excited to finally get up there! rocker.gif On the lookout for a more leisurely trip we decided to make it a bivy lol. It still ended up being a pretty good slog though! breakdance.gif We met up in North Bend Thursday night and drove out to the TH arriving around 11pm. Beers were pounded and sleep followed soon after. The plan was to start at 4am...we started in earnest at 830am. It was a bivy after all so we could take our time lol! humpy.gif We hit the well graded trail and made scatter creek pass in about 2hrs(1030am), that was awesome because we both were feeling a bit slow. The trail gains about 3000ft in 3miles so that's nice too. Upon reaching said pass we had our first views of our mountain...wow! stun.gif The views were badass from up here and all the red rocks around the pass lured us in! It was sweet up there and it reminded us of the Ingalls pk area, a very southwestern vibe. So we decided to find a bivy spot up here first and foremost! While studying the topo Hans found a small unnamed lake just to the east of the pass. We climbed up to higher ground and sure enough we spotted a nice little lake about a 1/4 mile to our east! banana.gif After another 30mins we reached the lake and found the perfect camp at the north side just below a giant larch! A nice break was had here before we set off for The Cradle. Cheers! cheers.gif
Towards Mt Daniel from scatter creek trail
Towards Mt Daniel from scatter creek trail
Tucquala pk
Tucquala pk
Views from pass, first view of the cradle too
Views from pass, first view of the cradle too
The cool red rock was calling to us
The cool red rock was calling to us
Nice camp spot under larch
Nice camp spot under larch
The no name lake by camp
The no name lake by camp
From the lake we dropped down south following the outlet which eventually ends at a boulder field about 400ft below. At this point we wandered through nice meadows interspersed with a little bush/forest while aiming for the saddle that separates French and Meadow creeks.(ca 5200') After that we traveled generally south uphill for 1200ft, this was where the both of us started to feel a little crappy lol. dizzy.gif Eventually we gained the ridge around 2pm.(6500') The views up here were rather amazing too! Daniel looked awesome as did the whole Stuart range to the south! Also the first proper views of the cradle appeared. We had decided to just ride the south ridge all the way to the summit proper. rocker.gif In hindsight it probably would have been better to just drop down 200ft to the east side of the ridge and traverse the east slopes to the summit that way, I think that's the standard route. Anyhow the ridge was tedious and kinda fun. Alotta gain and loss though. About 200ft below the south pk we left the ridge, climber's right, and climbed a dirty gully upwards. It spit us out 50ft below and we finished off the scramble! The higher reaches of the ridge were mostly class 2-3 and we were tired but stoked to finally have made it! breakdance.gif What a cool little climb. A sweet Mounty register is up here, many familiar names...so cool! cheers.gif The south pk was reached at 4pm so we only spent about 30mins up there before we set off for the main objective, the north peak. Many agree that this is the true summit so we had to go over and check it out lol! hink.gif The traverse to the north pk went pretty quick. There's a giant gendarme that we had to go around on the left, from there we dropped 50ft or so onto the east face. Here we located the downsloping diagonal gully that is the crux of the north pk. The awkward angle of it made it somewhat intimidating. It was all kinda covered in kitty litter and some loose holds here and there. moon.gif Nonetheless Hans lead us up, all the while a bit skeptical lol. When we topped out in the gully it was a short jaunt to the summit! Success at last! rocker.gif Another badass view up here too! We could see the Bolt creek fire pretty good as well, can't believe that thing is still goin. Luckily, for us, all the smoke was blowing north. And we found another register up here, it must be a first acsent reg. It was in an old glass jar but all the contents inside are withering away. I saw Bill Prater's entry and Jake Robinson too! The north pk was reached at 5pm so we just chilled for 30mins again and drank whiskey of course! cheers.gif
On towards the objective
On towards the objective
Beautiful valley
Beautiful valley
Looking back up to camp
Looking back up to camp
Love me some meadow action
Love me some meadow action
Climbing up to the cradle's south ridge, our camp is in the background
Climbing up to the cradle's south ridge, our camp is in the background
On the ridge with a proper view of said peak
On the ridge with a proper view of said peak
Ridge life
Ridge life
Out east
Out east
Traverse the ridge man
Traverse the ridge man
Some crappy stuff
Some crappy stuff
Snoqualmie crest
Snoqualmie crest
Closer
Closer
Stuart back there
Stuart back there
Higher
Higher
loving this shit
loving this sh##
The south summit block, we scrambled to the left
The south summit block, we scrambled to the left
The north pk from the south pk
The north pk from the south pk
East view
East view
reg for the south pk
reg for the south pk
Roper
Roper
The single most famed nwhiker page I've ever seen in a register, even got Jake in there! So cool!
The single most famed nwhiker page I've ever seen in a register, even got Jake in there! So cool!
last entry
last entry
The gendarme between the two pks
The gendarme between the two pks
North pk
North pk
Scree on the east leading to crux gully
Scree on the east leading to crux gully
Go get it buddy
Go get it buddy
Steep
Steep
Almost there
Almost there
Noice
Noice
Looking to the south pk with first ascent register
Looking to the south pk with first ascent register
Bill
Bill
To the south
To the south
Nice light
Nice light
Daniel and distant views of the fire
Daniel and distant views of the fire
Loving the weather
Loving the weather
At 530pm we started the trudge back to camp. huh.gif We decided to take the standard approach on the east, seeing as it was less involved. Soon we were back atop our initial ridge and making our way back down into the valley, French/Meadow creek divide. Just before we hit the valley bottom we had to don headlamps. A nice trickle of water was found in the meadows down low so we watered up and took a nice break under the stars and Milky Way. It always impresses me how many stars are out there, dayum! borank.gif Eventually we got moving and climbed up 800ft to our camp arriving around 930am. Hell yeah man! We were stoked to finally be able to relax and chill in camp. We set up camp first then drank the rest of the whiskey all the while admiring the spectacle in the sky, cheers! banana.gif
Down the mountain
Down the mountain
Crux gully
Crux gully
Oooweeee
Oooweeee
Both the pks from low on the east side
Both the pks from low on the east side
Suns goin down
Suns goin down
I woke up just in time to catch a decent sunrise, Hans woke soon after. It's funny how fast time goes by in the mountains. We lounged around by the lake in the morning hours and before we knew it, it was noon already! dizzy.gif So we packed up and headed back home making it to the car at 2pm. Sweeeet, another successful endeavor and the both of us were still amped up! hockeygrin.gif It was cool to finally get up to this area and poke around too. I gotta give a shout-out to Gimpilator, thanks dood! His TR from 2016 provided all the beta needed to conquer the north pk, it also gave us extra confidence. cheers.gif The trip seemed liked more of a grinder than stats would indicate. I think mileage was about 13mi, around 7000ft gain, in a leisurely 1.5 days. Thanks Hans for joining again and cheers to all!
Granite Mtn and cradle
Granite Mtn and cradle
Tucquala
Tucquala
Camp again
Camp again
Last view
Last view
Back home
Back home
Until next time
Until next time

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Gabep, RAW-dad, zimmertr, yukon222, tNguyen, ALW Hiker, raising3hikers, freddyfredpants, Justus S., jaysway, Theboywhocriedroute, JimK, RichP, ~*CutebutChossy69*~, Gimpilator, neek, rubywrangler, Silas, Eric Gilbertson  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:22 pm 
ozzy wrote:
Wow, that is really special. That could be the first N Pk Ascent, 1952. Bill was still getting into the mountains until his passing, probably close to ten years ago now. I cherish the couple trips I got to take with him, there may have been 40 years between us. Thanks for grabbing a photo of that. Sherpas were their Kittitas County climbing club (of sorts). Hence Sherpa Peak, Lost Sherpa (now known as Paddy Go North, unfortunately), and Sherpani Peak. I was told Nepal was but a dream for Bill and Gene. They couldn't join the others of that era like Wickwire, Hornbein, Fred Stanley, and Fred Dunham for the Himalaya because they couldn't leave the farm/ranch for that long.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.

ozzy, Theboywhocriedroute, RichP  Lindsay
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Sep 27, 2022 9:35 pm 
Badass as usual cool.gif That north peak scramble feels for-real, right?

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

ozzy, Theboywhocriedroute
JimK

JimK
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 pm 
Nice report. I'm a little surprised to see the same register 28 years after I visited. You missed my 1994 trip by one page likely. The route below the ridge to the south peak is a lot of crappy scree. The ridge may have been better.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Sep 28, 2022 10:26 pm 
Very cool. up.gif up.gif Looks like a great time. I checked my photo of the old reg sheet was dated Aug 1st, 1954.

ozzy
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 5:33 am 
Justus S. wrote:
Very cool. up.gif up.gif Looks like a great time. I checked my photo of the old reg sheet was dated Aug 1st, 1954.
Oh great, thank you for doing that! Was it the initial entry?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:27 pm 
John, I think it was the first entry, but it's been 12yrs so memory could be foggy. It was the only page I took a photo of so that usually means first page.

pwrobinson

pwrobinson
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 8:47 am 
Thanks for remembering Jake. I always ♥️ finding entries like yours. My best Jake's Dad.

Roald  ozzy