Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fires ..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostSun Oct 02, 2022 8:08 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Those under construction apartment complexes you see headed downwind on the 11 o’clock news? Propane torch is a common ignition source. It’s boring to wait a half hour after, then look really well for embers or smoldering.
I believe it. Mid 1970's we demolished two very large sawmills in Longview. There waas a lot of torch work and lots of pitch, sawdust, and timber structure to catch fire. We had a paid overnight firewatch, every night, and most nights they had a fire or at least a smoker we'd missed when we left for the day. I really learned to hustle, fighing fire solo in a multi-story timber structure.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSun Oct 02, 2022 9:12 pm 
A short section of RT 2 was closed again this afternoon, but they were able to detour through downtown Skykomish. This of course resulted in massive delays at all the traffic lights downtown.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep

Cyclopath
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 02, 2022 11:22 pm 
Things must be getting better over in the Okanogan, I saw the Chewack Fire Crew drive through Sultan tonight.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:28 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Things must be getting better over in the Okanogan, I saw the Chewack Fire Crew drive through Sultan tonight.
They must because the frequent postings on facebook have dwindled. I spent a couple days last week at Pearrygin Lake. Got there just in time to see the SEAT (little water scooping panes) start scooping up the lake and going until dusk. A fire had started in the Texas Cr. area. They apparently got it knocked down but the two days spent there were smokier than when I arrived. I could also hear a helicopter working somewhere to the NW. I almost came home early because of the smoke but instead, rode my bike to town and had ice cream. It was very good ice cream.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

tinman, Nancyann, zimmertr
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:44 am 
I'd planned to hike Cutthroat Pass today and Goat Peak tomorrow but the forecast changed drastically last night and it is seems very smoky in that area now. NWS forecast says "widespread smoke" all week. If you are hiking this week check the AQI/forecast.
Also, do not get fooled by this. The graphic says good, but the small print says "no data" and the rest of the site indicates "unhealthy."

jaysway, Cyclopath, zimmertr
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:37 am 
kiliki wrote:
Also, do not get fooled by this. The graphic says good, but the small print says "no data" and the rest of the site indicates "unhealthy.
Here is the ‘Purple Air’ AQI map. https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0#8.65/48.4757/-120.241 It seems to me to be the one that updates most frequently and reliably. You can scale it up or down.

kiliki
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:39 am 
Some of these are out of commission, but it does look smoky in the Methow today. http://trbo.org/methow-us/webcams/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:34 pm 
I hiked Cutthroat Pass today - the drive in from Winthrop was so smoky we almost called it off but as soon as we got west of Washington Pass it cleared up considerably and we had nice clear air for most of our hike. You could see the dense smoke back east from the Pass, and some was blowing into the area on the hike back but overall I think we got really lucky. Hoping we’re able to find a spot of clean air for another hike tomorrow…

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 7:12 am 
Looking at projected winds on Windy.com has worked quite well to predict where it will and will not be smoky. Unfortunately the rest of the week just looks stagnant.

SpookyKite89, brewermd
brewermd

brewermd
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 7:51 am 
in addition to Windy, this site does a good job at predicting: https://tools.airfire.org/websky/v2/run/standard/PNW-4km/2022100400/#viewer

mosey
gb

gb
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 11:03 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Looking at projected winds on Windy.com has worked quite well to predict where it will and will not be smoky. Unfortunately the rest of the week just looks stagnant.
I agree. There is a slider on Windy where you can set elevation. So, I might look at surface to 2000' winds for cross-Cascades low level winds, and 6400' for winds bringing in smoke from more distant locations. i.e. South winds aloft are not good right now because of primarily Oregon wildfires.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 9:40 am 
A couple other Methow webcam compilations…..for smoke. https://www.mazamatrailhead.com/p/web-cams.html This WSDOT series is from the airport/smokejumper base - gives a good general indication of conditions. https://wsdot.wa.gov/travel/aviation/airports-list/methow-valley-state

Cyclopath
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 7:47 am 
From the Okanogan County Fire page: Wildfire Updates : Fires continue to burn in areas of Washington State. Here's a list of the current status of some of them. - Bolt Creek Fire (Skykomish WA): 12,723 acres and 36 percent contained. Moderate fire activity is still being reported. - Pasayten Fire Complex (North Cascades): 17,998 acres with no report on containment. This complex includes 6 fires - the "Parks Fire", the "Kid Fire", the "Skagit Fire", the "3 Fools Fire" and the "Shull Fire". Minimal fire activity reported on all fires in the complex. - Chilliwack Fire Complex (North Cascades): 7,388 acres with no report on containment. This complex includes 5 fires - the "Silesia Fire", the "Little Chill Fire", the "Brush Creek 2 Fire", the "Copper Lake Fire", and the "Little Beaver Creek Fire". Minimal fire activity reported on all fires in the complex. - White River and Irving Peak Fires (Chelan County): 12,336 acres at 10% containment. Moderate fire activity is still being reported in some areas of the fire. - Goat Rocks Fire (Packwood): 4,249 acres with no report on containment. Active runs were reported in some areas of the fire today. - Kalama Fire (south of Mount Saint Helens): 443 acres at 5% containment. No report on activity on the fire. <photo - incident photo Bolt Creek Fire on 10-1-22>

HikingBex

HikingBex
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:52 pm 
Drove west on Hwy 20 from Winthrop today, a bit hazy but not too bad until West of the Easy Pass TH, then the smoke was terrible. Diablo Lake:
Pasayten Wilderness was actually looking pretty clear from Slate Peak yesterday, although much of it is closed for fires anyway

rossb, Cyclopath
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 5:37 am 
USGS has finished their analysis and published data showing the estimated risk of debris flow from the area burned by the Bolt Creek Fire. This map can show similar data for other large fires in the USA going back a few years. See the "Map tips" link in upper left corner for the legend and other useful info.
View larger size in new window