Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hey bike people (e or traditional)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 8:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The 2 stroke kit actually came with a puller, it has 2 sizes and neither one fits my bike. Not sure why although I think 26" bikes are not as prevalent now as they were?
I have a 26" Schwinn mountain bike from 1999 (yeah, 29" seems more popular now), and it works there as well as my newer bikes. (Just measured the inner diameter at 21mm after removing the cap.) You're right, there are a number of different systems, and it's best to know what you have before investing in a tool. Park Tools has some good youtube videos with cutaway cranks that show you exactly what's going on inside and how to figure out what type you have. If the stuff the kit came with doesn't work, I wonder if you might have something uncommon. There are also "self extracting" cranks that don't require a special tool.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 pm 
Yea, I have ordered a few things online that weren't correct or what I expected, so it's kind of a crap shoot and I hate wasting money or returning things via the mail. I think all of the 26" bikes I have and have had are the same size as the one question. I am going to try the rod and hammer thing that cyclopath suggested, but some of those suckers seem to be nearly welded on after many years.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message