Forum Index > Gear Talk > Pad baffling coming apart - is it done for?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:22 pm 
I have this older Exped Downmat that I love for winter/cold weather trips. I haven't used it in a few years and I always store it unrolled, valves open, in a large bin, climate controlled. I recently took it out to test it before I take it on some shoulder season trips. I always test out the pads before using them if they've been in storage. This one has some of the baffles coming apart in places, resulting in some bulging. It doesn't seem like an issue at this level but I'm wondering if it's just going to all come apart in the field when I'm really using it - inflating, sleeping, rolling it back up, repeat. What I don't want is for it to turn into one big tubular balloon. Do you have any spidey sence on this? See pic.

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pula58

pula58
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 2:09 pm 
I had an Exped Synmat that had its baffles fail completely in two locations - Looks like your downmat is showing the signs that it is going to fail that way, sooner than later. I would call Exped USA and see what they can do for you. My experience is that their customer service is top notch. best of luck to you!

Luc

Luc
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:11 pm 
Thanks, Pula58 Did your pad worsen and have all the baffles come undone? Or did yours stop there?

GNGSTR
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 10:50 am 
I had this happen with my Exped SynMat7 about 10 years ago. It started out in one baffle, then with every inflate/deflate it would get worse until it had a basketball shaped bump in the middle. I contacted Exped and they said this was a known issue in their older pads and they sent me a free replacement. I'm still using that one today with no problems.

Navy salad
Luc

Luc
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:24 pm 
Gah! Thanks, and good timing. I'm already in the truck heading to the TH but I brought a backup pad just in case. Will probably use the backup.

GNGSTR
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 4:34 pm 
I had an Exped insulated mat which did the same thing. I contacted Exped and they replaced it. That was many years ago so I don't know if the same level of customer service exists. It can't hurt to try here for a resolution. I sold my replacement and got a NeoAir for the weight and space savings. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Luc

Luc
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 5:07 pm 
I ended up taking my 13yo neoair on this trip - still works perfectly, though I do baby it. I contacted exped and they are sending me a brand new Dura 8R LW. This is to replace my downmat from 2011 which was a warranty replacement from 2008. I can't believe the customer service. Unbeatable. That said, customer service can only go so far in correcting faulty gear. Meaning, it's the gear we pay for, mainly. Fingers crossed everything is dialed now re their pads/mats. Now I need to figure out what to do with 11oz of down from my failed downmat. Ideas?

GNGSTR
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:31 pm 
Luc wrote:
what to do with 11oz of down from my failed downmat. Ideas?
My daughter made us some quilts from those cheap Costco down blankets. Sewed in a foot area added from one blanket to another and removed the cross stitching. We use it to add a bit of warmth in a sleeping bag or in the house if someone really wants to warm up. If you are of a mind for that kind of thing a bit of extra down in the baffles would probably be easy enough if you know how to transport it.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 11:46 am 
Oh man, I didn't even think about getting mine replaced. It was pretty gross because I had used my mouth to blow it up at first, and it got mold inside. I had some failure with baffles, but they didn't spread very far and didn't affect comfort. Mine eventually ended up failing at the seams, they came unglued. Maybe I should call them and see if I can get a replacement.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 1:36 pm 
I'm another one who got a replacement, after reading this thread. Thanks for the suggestion! They have a place on their website to send them an image and your story. I've slept on it the last four nights at home (ree is sick...)

pula58

pula58
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 5:03 pm 
Exped replaced the pad, no questions asked.