Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Mariners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 7:03 pm 
Believe.....No matter what happens this team has been fun to watch, and they have a bright future ahead it seems.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?

InFlight, kiliki, Chief Joseph, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 8:45 pm 
As a regular denizen of Cheney, you MLB fans are going to like the pitch clock next year. Just as much baseball, thirty-five minutes faster.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 pm 
As a fan I love the idea of a pitch clock, but as a former player of the sport and baseball enthusiast I hate the idea. Part of the beauty of baseball is that it is timeless. Nothing depends upon a clock but the start time. You can be down by 11 runs in the bottom of the ninth and the game is never over until the final pitch. If you need a timeout you ask for one. There is nothing like setting up a hitter with a high and tight fastball and then pausing just a little too long before throwing that curve that freezes them before the bottom drops out. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to also pay attention to a clock. And from the hitter's perspective sometimes things just don't feel right and you have to step out (dust in your eye, pitcher starts his windup before you are fully set, etc.) It makes sense for the fans but it really will change the game more than I think most people realize.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 10:28 pm 
I completely agree Bowregard, but then I am a bit of a "Purist" and don't really like change. I don't like the DH and I don't like inter-league play. It's good to see the M's with some dominant starting pitching, to me that's magnified in the playoffs, and I think that's the main thing that previous M's playoff teams lacked. Teams that typically do well in the post-season have at least one or two pitchers that can shut the other team down and Castillo did that today.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 10:58 pm 
I agree with you regarding the DH. But again that was all about pleasing the fans who want to see more "action" (defined as more runs). If they really wanted to make game safer they would eliminate the DH. I don't care what the studies say - I believe the number of "purpose pitches" thrown up near the head (or worse - behind the head) would be less if the pitchers came to the plate. I can't believe how many of these guys are willing to throw up there. You can't tell me they can't throw a fastball at the hip if they wanted to. Great game today. You don't see an exhibition like that from the mound very often anymore and I enjoy it just as much if not more than a high scoring game.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 11:09 pm 
Not only that but the DH took away a lot of strategic moves a manager was forced to make, do I pinch hit for the pitcher or not? Can I trust the pitcher to lay down a bunt in a critical situation, etc. Plus, a team could hide a defensive liability as a DH (see Edgar)....a player should have to play defense in baseball imo. Anytime there are changes, there is also a downside to those 'improvements'....but it human nature to meddle and change things, even if things are fine the way they are. So, eventually umpires won't even call balls and strikes, where does it end?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Oct 08, 2022 9:27 am 
^^^I wonder if this depends on your age and if you grew up in an AL/NL household. I grew up in the age of the DH in an AL household with a father that liked it and liked to say, "I don't pay money to watch Jim Palmer hit." (We lived in MD briefly when I was a tyke and started going to games at the Orioles' Memorial Stadium). Yesterday was incredible. Castillo's pitching was beautiful. I can relax a little. Heading to the stadium today.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Oct 08, 2022 11:45 am 
If they are going to continue to make drastic changes to America's game they might as well shorten the season to 100 games instead of 162. But then that would screw up all the stats going forward. Whoever came up with a 162 game schedule had to be out of their minds...but then when baseball was invented it was more of a "real job" than a sport.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Oct 08, 2022 5:33 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I can relax a little. Heading to the stadium today.
So...how was the last 45 or so minutes at the stadium?

Knows literally nothing

GaliWalker
gb

gb
PostSat Oct 08, 2022 5:57 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
As a fan I love the idea of a pitch clock, but as a former player of the sport and baseball enthusiast I hate the idea. Part of the beauty of baseball is that it is timeless. Nothing depends upon a clock but the start time. You can be down by 11 runs in the bottom of the ninth and the game is never over until the final pitch. If you need a timeout you ask for one. There is nothing like setting up a hitter with a high and tight fastball and then pausing just a little too long before throwing that curve that freezes them before the bottom drops out. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to also pay attention to a clock. And from the hitter's perspective sometimes things just don't feel right and you have to step out (dust in your eye, pitcher starts his windup before you are fully set, etc.) It makes sense for the fans but it really will change the game more than I think most people realize.
I totally disagree....they were only down 7 runs, never 11. wink.gif

Bowregard
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Oct 08, 2022 10:32 pm 
I think that the Jays manager did us a big favor when he pulled his starter Gausman. When he came back into the game after sitting for nearly 30 minutes while the M's rallied, he was wild but seemed to be settled back in on the last 2 batter he faced. But the manager pulled him (I would not have) and the rest is history.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 8:59 am 
kiliki wrote:
^^^I wonder if this depends on your age and if you grew up in an AL/NL household. I grew up in the age of the DH in an AL household with a father that liked it and liked to say, "I don't pay money to watch Jim Palmer hit." (We lived in MD briefly when I was a tyke and started going to games at the Orioles' Memorial Stadium). Yesterday was incredible. Castillo's pitching was beautiful. I can relax a little. Heading to the stadium today.
I don't think it is age dependent but it may become so if the NL ever goes to the DH. I do believe it is somewhat dependent upon whether you grew up in a AL or NL household. To be honest I think most who don't like the DH are into the strategies that come into play when the pitcher hits or have some experience that makes that part of the game more interesting to them (i.e. if you pitched or are into pitcher strategies). It is kind of like the "small ball vs. home run" strategies that have changed over the years (partly due to rule changes that favor run production).

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 9:08 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I think that the Jays manager did us a big favor when he pulled his starter Gausman. When he came back into the game after sitting for nearly 30 minutes while the M's rallied, he was wild but seemed to be settled back in on the last 2 batter he faced. But the manager pulled him (I would not have) and the rest is history.
I disagree and would have pulled Gausman too. He was losing control of his fastball which often happens when you start to tire and is tough to maintain over an extended break. I doubt he really intends to throw the splitter for strikes as much as getting hitters to swing at bad pitches. Kind of like a knuckleball - keep it down and it fools the hitters - get it up and it just looms there waiting for "goodbye baseball".

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Oct 09, 2022 11:07 am 
GeoTom wrote:
kiliki wrote:
I can relax a little. Heading to the stadium today.
So...how was the last 45 or so minutes at the stadium?
That was the most fun I've had in a long time. We were right behind Rally Shoe Guy (in the Raleigh jersey in my photo). ESPN tweeted a photo of my husband. Surrounded by super fun bros (not a phrase I've ever uttered) half our age. Think I got a contact high from all their weed. I spent the bottom of the 9th in a fetal position in my chair and cried when they put in George Kirby not because I thought it was a bad idea but because he's just a baby. We each suffered minor happy melee related injuries lol. There were random unclaimed shoes at the end. All this for a Wild Card series. I will need a prescription for Xanax if we successfully advance.

GaliWalker
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 7:57 pm 
Not sure who else was available in the bullpen, but to me it seems like a very bad idea to bring a starting pitcher in to pitch in relief when that Pitcher Ray gave up the 2nd most HR's in all of baseball this season with 32. Yea, I know, it's easy to second guess. What a huge and disappointing loss! Julio had an amazing game..