Forum Index > Gear Talk > Map printing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uww

uww
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 6:40 pm 
I usually print out a bunch of letter size paper maps on my home printer and stuff them in a ziplock bag. However, for longer trips I really like having the commercial larger format maps when they are available. Anyone ever tried printing a larger map at Kinko's or another printer around? Seems like they should be able to handle it and I'm sure that's what the person who answers the phone will tell me, but I'd like to know if this is really worthwhile and what I can expect. I don't need this to be a huge project, but I'm willing to spend some money on it. Basically I want to take a file on a USB to the print shop and end up with a large format map on good paper.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 8:00 pm 
I've done it at the UPS Store. I got 11x17, but I think they could do larger. They had a couple of paper options, one of which was sturdier and somewhat water resistant. It worked fine, but 11x17 is only modestly less hassle than 8.5x11, so next time I think I'd either try for something larger or stick with home-printed 8.5x11s.

uww
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 8:18 pm 
I don't have a direct answer to your question. But at a job I worked at few years ago we bought a plotter. Probably a Cannon brand. We could feed it 3' roll of paper or individual 11" x 17" sheets. I had lots of annotated maps saved as PDF files and printed them easily. Results seemed much more pleasant than home printing. I'm sure nicer paper would make even better results. Based on this experience I'd imagine you could easily purchase similar results at Kinko's, UPS or your favorite local print shop.

uww
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm 
I have used FedEx/Kinkos to print color maps numerous times. I've even had they print on water proof paper. Being able to print on Tablet sized (11x17) paper is great. I uploaded my map PDF to the FedEx Office website and choose the desired print options and the local office closest to my house for pick up I find that FedEx/Kinkos to be the least hassle way for me to print in color. My color printing needs are light enough that every time I printed I was having to perform the ink jet nozzle cleaning ritual. So I got rid of all my color ink jet printers and now just have a basic laser printer at home.

uww
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 11:38 am 
I've also given up on home color printers and just print them at FedEx/Kinko's from a flash drive. The quality is far better than I got printing at home. If it's a place I anticipate going to more than once, I'll print them on waterproof paper that I supply. If not, I'll just print on plain paper. The print quality on plain paper turns out better than on waterproof, but of course the waterproof ones are far more durable and the quality is still good.

uww
Luc

Luc
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:35 pm 
Randito wrote:
My color printing needs are light enough that every time I printed I was having to perform the ink jet nozzle cleaning ritual. So I got rid of all my color ink jet printers and now just have a basic laser printer at home.
I'm going to do this, too. Same problem. Re other posts, I also use waterproof paper sometimes and the print quality is sub par. I really like the laminated GT maps, so maybe I'll use regular paper (fedx/kinkos, or home if my printer is playing nice and I still have it) and just laminate them myself. Laminators are cheap.

GNGSTR
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 2:22 pm 
Luc wrote:
and just laminate them myself. Laminators are cheap.
Do you have any problems with the laminated maps coming unlaminated? A friend claims this is his experience.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:05 am 
I mean... it's possible! Not sure how this Devil's Dome route would have helped me if I got off trail though. dizzy.gif

zimmertr  mosey
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:12 am 
Now I'm feeling motivated to model and 3D print some of my favorite trips on my Ender 6.... A quick Google Search led me to this tool: https://github.com/anoved/gpxtruder Might be fun to print small sized routes and throw them up on a shelf like trophies smile.gif

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:21 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Now I'm feeling motivated to model and 3D print some of my favorite trips on my Ender 6.... A quick Google Search led me to this tool: https://github.com/anoved/gpxtruder Might be fun to print small sized routes and throw them up on a shelf like trophies smile.gif
Pretty sure that's what I used. https://gpxtruder.xyz

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:45 pm 
Loowit Trail after a bit of 3D modeling in Fusion 360. 22 hour print.... hm. I might actually do this.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 1:00 pm 
Awesome go for it! Put a pic up after it's done. I forget if it had the geography option back when I did it or if I just opted for the shorter print.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 1:01 pm 
I created the terrain model with this tool and merged them in Fusion 360: https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/ Might work on printing this tonight though. smile.gif This whole process makes me want to build a web app to merge GPX files and terrain automagically and spit out a printable STL. It can't be that hard.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 1:17 pm 
Oh cool! My freebie F360 license expired, I'm sad. Not a great 3D modeler but I was starting to learn that one. Looking forward to seeing your print! I've got an Ender 3 Pro myself, it's been solid. Ender 6 looks awesome.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 12:11 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I created the terrain model with this tool and merged them in Fusion 360: https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/ Might work on printing this tonight though. smile.gif This whole process makes me want to build a web app to merge GPX files and terrain automagically and spit out a printable STL. It can't be that hard.
Did you end up printing it?