Forum Index > Food & Grub > Nuts...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:02 pm 
Yes, I know, many of you think that I am, and well, "You are what you Eat". dizzy.gif I am a big fan of almonds, I usually buy the raw unsalted Blue Diamond variety. Today, while on an infrequent shopping trip to Grocery Outlet I bought a 30oz bag of BD oven roasted and dark chocolate flavored almonds and they are really good, great price too!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 2:15 pm 
Almonds are also a good source of both potassium and magnesium, important electrolytes. Costco is also a good place to get nuts, especially if you can use "Costco size" bags. Their bag of walnuts were nice and fresh, too.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 2:37 pm 
Yes, a friend gave me a big container of mixed nuts from Costco, pretty good and I like that it had a lot of cashews in the mix.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 4:14 pm 
Just watched this the other day. It may interest some of you. I think it is pretty good but do your own research. The ranking itself is just that guy's evaluation.
Personally I eat about two ounces of nuts every day. I eat walnuts, peanuts, cashews, pistachios, almonds as well as hemp hearts, which are similar in nutrition. On occasion, I have macadamia, hazelnuts, and pecans. I especially like nuts for backpacking as they are Caloric dense and lots of fiber to keep me regular on backcountry trips. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Chief Joseph
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 4:46 pm 
I also like Hemp hearts, which remind me of the taste of pine nuts. High in Omega 3 as well,.

sarbar, RumiDude
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 9:24 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
I also like Hemp hearts, which remind me of the taste of pine nuts
It's the one seed my youngest can eat. He's allergic to every tree nut/peanut and sunflowers. So we use hemp seed in a lot of things. I love the buttery crunch they give!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

Navy salad
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm 
several years ago I became acquainted with the idea of Caloric density, i.e. Calories per gram or oz. To determine that for any food, just divide the Calories per serving by the Weight in either OZ or grams of a serving. After determining that number, it becomes easy to compare foods to one another. A typical Honey Bun weighs 114g and has 460 Calories for a ration of 4.03Calories per gram. A typical Snickers bar weighs 52.7g and has 250 Calories for a ratio of 4.74 Calories per gram. Walnuts weighing in at 30g have 185 Calories for a ratio of 6.16 Calories per gram. Almonds (dry roasted) weighing in at 30g have 180 Calories for a ratio of 6.0 Calories per gram. Peanuts (dry roasted) weighing in at 30g have 165 Calories for a ratio of 5.5 Calories per gram. Macadamia nuts (dry roasted) weighing in at 30g have a whopping 243 Calories for a ratio of 8.1 Calories per gram. Also note that the Honey Bun contains 28g of added sugar and the Snickers bar contains 27g of added sugar. Nutritionally, the nuts are much better than either the Snickers or Honey Bun, as well as being much more Caloric dense. That Caloric density allow one to have access to the same amount of Calories with nuts for less weight than the Honey Bun or Snickers bar. And when planning amounts of food weight to bring on any particular trip, that difference in Caloric density is a huge consideration. As a side note, Nutritional labels are allowed by the FDA to be off by as much as 10% and still be legal, IIRC. Food makers are sometimes lax in accuracy on their nutrition labels. But everything is really just ballparking the numbers on stuff like this. In general the numbers are relatively close. Anyway, you can use this Caloric density concept to figure out pretty closely how much food you need to carry to reach your Caloric needs. It's kinda nerdy. If you only ate macadamia nuts, you could have over 3600 Calories per day for 1 pound of them. You might have to take extra toilet paper if you did that but you would save weight on not having to carry a stove or fuel. Rumi <~~~~densely nerdy

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

pimaCanyon, zimmertr, Chief Joseph
neek

neek
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 2:27 pm 
Yeah...people think nuts are expensive, but they don't consider that meat (for example) is mostly water. Just put in a big nuts.com order. Generally been happy with their quality. Free next day delivery. Also it's about time to put in my order for 25 pounds of macadamias from Lions Gate. Roast 'em on demand at home in the air fryer.

RumiDude
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 3:16 pm 
My favorite "energy bars" are those little sesame wafers. More calories (and calories from fat) per weight. And way more per $!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:01 am 
@Neek - You roast macadamias in the air fryer? What temp? How long?

neek

neek
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 8:13 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
@Neek - You roast macadamias in the air fryer? What temp? How long?
I think I do 5 minutes at 325F with the Instant Pot air fryer attachment. Works well with hazelnuts and others as well. Don't even salt them usually.

RumiDude, seawallrunner
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
If you only ate macadamia nuts, you could have over 3600 Calories per day for 1 pound of them.
I'll be the first to admit how much I love macadamia nuts. One of the things I'm looking forward to with my Kauai trip this month is stuffing my face full of them. But I can't imagine eating a pound of them while backpacking instead of feasting on Hiker Trash food like this
Only thing missing are the Haribo gummy bear toppings

Flickr | Strava

Navy salad  Lokicat, sarbar, RumiDude