Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Mariners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:41 pm 
Can't believe they let Ray pitch to Alvarez. A lefty in that situation who has basically sucked since July. Made zero sense to me.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 9:03 pm 
I feel like I just saw a beautiful painting vandalized.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 9:59 pm 
I agree ^^^ my loathing of the ASS-tros deepens... mad.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:18 pm 
"It’s truly mind-boggling that Servais elected to take Sewald out of the game and bring Ray into the game for the most crucial out of the series. The Mariners may not find themselves in a better position to win. Failing to hold onto this game is a colossal failure, and the onus is on Servais.". https://clutchpoints.com/mariners-news-robbie-rays-stats-vs-astros-prove-scott-servais-made-the-worst-possible-decision/

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
gb

gb
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 5:58 am 
Both Ray and Gilbert when he was slumping think their stuff is good enough to throw the ball down the middle of the plate. And, of course, this is in general a bad plan. When you watch pitchers who have had success against the Mariners they are always on the edges and even just off the plate. Of course the stuff has to be good enough to fool the hitters - i.e. it has to break. But control beats velocity any day.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 9:05 am 
The decision wasn't Servais's. That's not how the game is played anymore. That's what he's alluding to without pointing fingers when he said this wasn't a gut decision and involved many people and all the analytics. I'm not saying he didn't advocate for it--we don't know what the discussion was like--but he shouldn't get the blame when we know so many front office and clubhouse people were involved. Who knows who fought for and against this. I generally don't like Monday morning quarterbacking but had I been in on the discussion of who to put in in a save situation, with Sewald having done poorly recently and Kirby coming in so successfully the 9th the other day (I don't have stats at my fingertips but all I can remember from recent games about Swanson is his bad pitches against bad teams), I can't say I would have argued bringing in Robbie was a terrible idea.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 9:37 am 
It is frustrating to lose a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 9th but the Mariners lost this game much earlier by missing too many chances to make it 9 to 5 by the 9th. They left runners on base in 5 innings (I counted the inning ended by a failed attempt to steal 2nd). Suarez watched 3 strikes go by in the 1st with the bat on his shoulder with one out and men on 3rd + 1st (the 3rd strike was dead center in the zone and everyone in the park knew it was going to be a breaking ball). Bad choices running the bases ended innings later in the ballgame. I'm not sure who the announcer was who said this looked like a low scoring series but there are too many good hitters on both teams to make that true. But it was exciting to watch.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 11:40 am 
kiliki wrote:
The decision wasn't Servais's. That's not how the game is played anymore.
Yea sure, ok....that's the same excuse that people gave when the Seahawks called the ill fated pass play in the SB loss to the Pats in order to take the blame off Carroll....the HEAD COACH-MGR has the final say.
kiliki wrote:
I can't say I would have argued bringing in Robbie was a terrible idea.
Really? Ray's record against the Astros this season.... 10.2 innings pitched, 10.97 era, 13 runs, 5 home runs allowed, 23 hits allowed...

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 1:39 pm 
Those are bad numbers. The Astros are also one the best teams in baseball and Ray was facing one of the best hitters in baseball. I don't know what would have happened with Swanson up instead. It was a bad day for the bullpen in general. I don't know anything about football so can't comment on that. But we know that the MLB manager job has changed and the front office--depending on the front office--often micromanages on an individual game level. Some lament that managers are just puppets now; I don't know if that is or isn't accurate. I have to think it varies. I don't think we've been privy as to how much control Scott has over individual game decisions particularly in this new world called the postseason. I'd really like to see Jerry comment on the decision to use Ray though he may be perfectly happy to let his manager take the heat.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 3:10 pm 
If the score was tied would be we arguing that they should have walked Alvarez? Who pitches to Alvarez strikes me as a tough choice any way you look at it. You already blew your closer (and he didn't exactly shut them down), Seawald had already given up a walk (OK - call it a HPB) and a hit, I assume "the committee" had already decided to use Ray if they faced a left-hander ahead of time so they went with the plan. IMHO in this situation you need strikes and cannot afford a HR so you go with whoever you think will have the best control and best pitches against this hitter. I certainly hope that was Robby Ray or Servais will be second guessing himself. My issue is more with the pitch choice. After watching the cut he took at that first fastball I sure would not have given him a second chance at another one in the zone. Maybe it we supposed to be low and outside and he missed.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 12, 2022 4:25 pm 
Not only do I think that its a terrible matchup, in my experience bringing in a starting pitcher for a relief appearance is usually a last resort done typically at the end of a series when the season is on the line and/or the relievers are gassed. In addition in most of the games I have watched hitters have been crushing the inside fastball, and that's what happened here, pretty sure he knew exactly what was coming and the location...Asstros are masters at stealing signs after all. Still say choose a pitcher less likely to give up a HR in that situation, someone that can keep the ball down in the zone.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 6:52 am 
baseball karma. I heard way too much gloating over the misery of the Blue Jays fans. Celebrate your win, but don't enjoy the other fan's misery quite so much...unless they are Yankee fans.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

Chief Joseph
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Oct 13, 2022 4:00 pm 
Drat. Is Kelenic going to be better in future years?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 11:55 am 
A bit too late they decided not to pitch to Alvarez. Pitching Ray to him essentially cost us a chance at the series, baring a miracle. The chances now of a series win is less than 10%....but hey at least there is a game or two at T-mobile for the fans.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 7:34 pm 
So it goes shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn