Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments, 10/5-10/7/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 7:09 pm 
Like mosey, I was fortunate to grab someone's last-minute permit cancellation for the Enchantments. I had previously put Wed-Fri in as days to take off of work and my original plan was to hike around Highway 20 before needing to be in Seattle on Friday afternoon. Instead, due to perfect timing with the last-minute permit I spent two nights in the Core, camping the first night near Leprechaun Lake (I was originally going to camp on the lake, but I was drawn to some neat water features above the lake so I camped by them instead) and my second night on a knoll overlooking Perfection Lake so that I could make a quick exit on Friday. I didn't see many people on Wednesday or Thursday but passed countless day hikers coming up as I was heading back down to the Stuart Lake trailhead on Friday. Colchuck
Hiking to Campsite #1
Sunset
Sunrise
Gnome Tarn Loop I left my tent where it was and took a day pack on a little loop over to Gnome Tarn via Perfection Lake and the unmarked shortcut trail from the Prusik Pass trail. I descended on the trail from Gnome Tarn to Leprechaun Lake.
Hiking to Campsite #2 Although the section between Leprechaun and Sprite might be my favorite part of the Core, I had already done it once today so instead I traveled cross-country on easy slabs to Sprite to the south of the main trail, getting views of a little tarn beneath McClellan and finding some likely seldom-used campsites.
Sunset I ended up camping on a gravel patch below a knoll overlooking Perfection Lake. I've seen many photographers take pictures from this general area as it provides nice views of the Lower Enchantments that can include larches in the foreground. I ended up scrambling around the slabs off of the NE couloir (not sure if it has a name) that is still holding a bit of snow. I camped just past the top of the couloir.
Sunrise I woke up at 6am so that I could eat breakfast and pack up my gear before sunrise so that I could make a quick exit. As I was snoozing around 6:08am I saw a light flash around my tent for a minute before disappearing but I didn't hear any voices. Nobody was camped near me, so I figured that it was another photographer/sunrise chaser. As I was taking pictures near the top of the knoll just before sunrise I noticed the other photographer, who had a tripod setup and was lounging in a folding chair, below me. I went down to talk with him and climb around the slabs that I took sunset pictures from. He wasn't very interested in talking but mentioned that he had hiked in that morning which is some major dedication smile.gif.
Back to the Stuart Lake Trailhead By 7:57am I was on my way back to the trailhead. The Upper Enchantments photographed well in the morning light. I for sure could have hiked faster if I wasn't constantly stopping to take pictures! It's hard not to when you're in such a beautiful place.

vibramhead, hikergirl1234, Nancy, Dustin R, HikingBex, neek, Slim, John Mac, rubywrangler, Bowregard, runup, Prosit, ancient_squirrel, zimmertr, raising3hikers  silence, mosey, SpookyKite89, GaliWalker  Anne Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 7:37 pm 
Incredible photos, jaysway!! I find it fascinating how the larch can appear bright yellow in the bright light, and a dull rich orange in darker lighting conditions. Looks like you had a nice little trip up there, I'm glad you were able to score permits. Thanks for sharing!

jaysway
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:09 pm 
Some great compositions and lighting effects! Submit some of these for the next NWH Calendar contest. Really terrific goat pic. Congrats on scoring a cancellation during a fine weather window.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

mosey, jaysway
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Oct 10, 2022 10:26 pm 
Great photos, I especially like the "golden hour / Golden Larches" combinations.

jaysway
hbb

hbb
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 10:04 am 
Available permits, time off work already sorted out, unbelievable fall weather, no smoke, and peak larch? You really had everything line up perfectly, great trip!

jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Oct 11, 2022 12:03 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Incredible photos, jaysway!! I find it fascinating how the larch can appear bright yellow in the bright light, and a dull rich orange in darker lighting conditions. Looks like you had a nice little trip up there, I'm glad you were able to score permits. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, I agree that it's super interesting how the color of the larches changes with the lighting. The first few minutes or so of low-angle sun just after sunrise/before sunset that directly illuminates the larches can also make them look a brilliant, deep orange that quickly turns into bright yellow as the sun starts rising. Even within the course of minutes this change happens. I had a better example of this contrast from a trip to Lake Ingalls last year, here is just after the sun crested the horizon:
and not very long afterwards:
Anne Elk wrote:
Some great compositions and lighting effects! Submit some of these for the next NWH Calendar contest. Really terrific goat pic. Congrats on scoring a cancellation during a fine weather window.
Appreciate it! I definitely want to submit one of these for October smile.gif.
Bowregard wrote:
Great photos, I especially like the "golden hour / Golden Larches" combinations.
Thank you, golden hour with the larches was very special.
hbb wrote:
Available permits, time off work already sorted out, unbelievable fall weather, no smoke, and peak larch? You really had everything line up perfectly, great trip!
Thank you! Before I scored the permit I had considered cancelling the time off since it looked super smoky around Highway 20 where I was planning on doing the Stilleto Loop. I'm very fortunate that things turned out the way they did. I had this time off because I had originally put the time off back in mid-to-late August to spend 4 nights hiking out to Easy Peak and back but had to cancel that due to heat. Since then of course that whole area has been closed for fires frown.gif I really hope the Chilliwack River trail isn't too damaged by the fires.

mosey
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 14, 2022 7:37 pm 
Really wonderful pics. Thanks for posting. Those lakes sure look low.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

jaysway