Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Lake (Chelan Sawtooths): 10/02/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 1:12 am 
Spent some time relaxing and hiking in the Methow. With smoky skies and temps in the mid 80s, it was hard to believe it was October. Left the TH around 11am and hiked through two miles of open burn area. The heat and direct sunlight zapped us, so the shady forest and gentle grade around mile 2.5 were most welcome.
After a couple more miles in the woods, views started to open up. We reached the lake just over 5 miles from the TH and had lunch at the tarn just south of the lake proper.
After a long, lazy break at the lake, we pointed our boots downhill for the pleasant return hike. Back at the car around 5pm. Only saw two other parties and a trail runner the whole day up.gif

Slim, RichP, jaysway, Nancyann, zimmertr, HikingBex, Bramble_Scramble, Lightning_bug, rubywrangler, awilsondc, John Mac, Tom, flatsqwerl  Lindsay
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Worthington

Worthington
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 9:08 am 
What was/is the situation at the Road's End campground? Earlier this summer it was closed (due to some fallen logs?) and laminated signs said it would be closed through the end of August. But my pessimism/suspicious is that the USFS would find a way to never reopen the campground (and create a longer hike to the destinations beginning past the road's end.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 10:12 am 
that is a pretty american red sqrrr

hbb

hbb
PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:23 pm 
Worthington wrote:
What was/is the situation at the Road's End campground?
It was still closed a bit past the Gilbert TH when I was there a few weeks back. It's frustrating, because it honestly doesn't look like it would take much to clear the hazardous trees from around the campground and parking area.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Oct 07, 2022 3:02 pm 
Nice photos up.gif Too bad you didn't have time to go on above the lake to the old mining works in the upper basin. The place abounds with photo ops for a person with an eye like yours. And a lot of them are not obvious. I saw more on my second time in there than I did the first trip. But I will admit I was more aware and actually paying attention to that aspect of the trip.

fourteen410
Worthington

Worthington
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 7:43 pm 
It's definitely another one of those "we are going to sneak in a way to quietly get this campground/TH permanently closed, without admiting to it" kinda things. No way that place ever reopens.

mosey