Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tuck and Robin, Trico, Granite, 8/6-8/7/2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 3:33 pm 
I've had my sights on these lakes for a long time, but they had fallen down in my to-do list over time after hearing lots of reports on how crowded and rowdy the area has become. If you search for trip reports for these lakes on this site you can find some colorful reports going back many years, in fact I found a report from 2006 that mentioned these lakes had a reputation for being overrun. With mixed expectations, I decided it was finally time to check this place out. I figured that if the place was absolutely packed hopefully I could camp a little ways away from the lakes to get some solitude. Surprisingly, the place wasn't crowded at all on a Saturday night! Either we got lucky or the crowds are overblown confused.gif. Trailhead to Robin Lakes We arrived at the trailhead at 8am on a Saturday morning and barely managed to get a spot. I've done Jade/Dip Top twice, so the first few miles of the trail to Hyas and beyond were familiar. Getting to the turnoff to Tuck and Robin is quick and uneventful, but shortly after the trail gets steeper with plenty of loose dirt and rock to climb over. We took a short lunch break at Tuck before proceeding up to Robin. There are plenty of little scrambly bits of trail for the first few hundred feet of elevation gain past Tuck.
Upon getting to Robin Lakes I figured we might be fighting to find a spot, but most spots were empty. We ended up setting our tent up on a granite slab in between the upper and lower lakes with a great view of the lower lake. The bugs were horrible, but this was not a surprise given recent trip reports. Trico My partner rested and took a nap while I hiked to Trico. I didn't run into any hikers on the trail but did spot a group camping down by the potholes. While I'm sure that many people hiking to Robin Lakes don't know about Trico, I was still surprised to not run into other hikers on a Saturday afternoon on a clear August weekend.
Sunset After getting back from Trico I rested for a while before we made dinner. The day had been mostly clear, but as sunset approached a few wispy clouds started building up which ended up making for some fantastic photography conditions. By sunset I was surprised that there weren't more groups camping at Robin given how much I had read about crowds. I did a decent amount of exploring around the lakes, and I counted 7 groups including ours plus that group over by the potholes. While it's possible I missed a group or two, the groups were fairly spread out and the place didn't feel crowded in the slightest.
I didn't bother doing any stacking so this one is pretty noisy
I didn't bother doing any stacking so this one is pretty noisy
Granite I woke up around 4:30am to hike up to Granite for sunrise. As I was getting ready in the tent I heard a strange cry/laugh noise coming from outside, and after getting out of my tent with my headlamp I realized that there was a mother and child goat about 50 feet beyond the tent! They were just off the trail to Granite, so I gave them a wide berth as I headed up. The views from Granite at sunrise were fantastic. Technically, my sunrise shots are from Granite's false summit. I figured that the views from the false summit would be better than the true summit since you can see Robin Lakes from the false summit.
After sunrise and breakfast I headed up to the true summit. The views here were great too, but I the views from the false summit were indeed better. If I came back here with more time I would love to explore the South Granite area as well as the tarns to the NE.
Heading down, I looped around Upper Robin Lake. I much preferred this trail segment compared to the one I came up as this one featured some lovely subalpine meadows and granite perches with great views across the upper lake towards the lower lakes and Daniel. I did not see any other people until I got back to camp.
Oddly, out of all the photos I took this trip this one is my favorite:
There is something magical to me about the layers here of granite lakes with the Alpine Lakes peaks behind them and then Rainier poking out behind everything. Robin Lakes back to the trailhead The hike down was uneventful. Even if we expended less energy, the hike down was tough on the knees and feet and I was properly sore by the time we got back to the trailhead. We stopped at Basecamp, one of my all-time favorite coffee shops, for a late lunch on the drive back.

neek, Bowregard, Obi Tony Kenobi, abkoch3, ALW Hiker, Waterman, Schroder, olderthanIusedtobe, thunderhead, half fast, hikergirl1234, fourteen410, ejain, Nancyann, RichP, raising3hikers, Slim, hikerbiker  SpookyKite89, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 6:51 pm 
I've done 4 or 5 trips up there. Never crowded. I suppose in your case, heat may have had something to do with it

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:22 pm 
jaysway wrote:
I remember camping up above Robin and watching Daniel return purple in the evening and then golden in the morning. That area really is a great place to watch a sunrise. smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

jaysway
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 2:25 pm 
jaysway wrote:
The bugs were horrible,
Great photos. I was just about to suggest this to my wife for a 3 day trip starting thursday, but we really want to avoid bugs. Guess that settles that. Thanks for the report.

jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 4:08 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
jaysway wrote:
The bugs were horrible,
Great photos. I was just about to suggest this to my wife for a 3 day trip starting thursday, but we really want to avoid bugs. Guess that settles that. Thanks for the report.
Glad I was able to help you avoid the bugs! While I've had worse mosquitos, there were enough that even more wouldn't have made much difference because there were already dozens waiting for you just outside the tent door. Unfortunately there was almost no wind at our campsite on a granite slab overlooking the lakes. Some of the campsites on the ridge before dropping into the Robin Lakes basin have more wind so they are good for avoiding the bugs, but the downside is that you are further from the lakes.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 4:16 am 
Well done. Great pics. THanks for posting.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Alisse

Alisse
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 pm 
Ha! I love it. Over the same days (Aug. 6-7) I did a sort of extended Paddy-Go-Easy high traverse starting from the north Scatter Creek trail and worked my way north and then out from Robin/Tuck Lakes. I was intending to add on Trico on the north side, but by that time, I just wanted out of there... The bugs were indeed so very bad. I was dreaming of a sweet open bivy at 6500' with a nice breeze on my face, but instead suffered all night with skeeters that just wouldn't go to bed! However... the sunset was incredible. Here is a very similar photo to one you posted -- but this one is from the top of "Paddy Go North" peak just NW of Paddy-Go-Easy Pass. (I did a bit of construction work so there's now a tiny crappy bivy spot on the summit.)

awilsondc, jaysway, zimmertr
jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 1:17 pm 
Alisse thanks for sharing! I love seeing pictures of what that sunset looked like from a nearby spot. That sounds like a really cool traverse. The series of granite basins, tarns, peaks from Trico to Granite are unbelievable if you like that sort of terrain and while I was only up there for a night, looking south from Granite it looked like there was tons more of that terrain to check out. How difficult was the traverse, anything beyond Class 3 if you picked your route well? A really neat but ambitious route would be going up Paddy-Go-Easy Pass and traversing all the way to Thunder Mountain Lakes and then either doing a thru hike and end at Stevens Pass or loop back on the PCT.

Alisse

Alisse
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 2:35 pm 
Some friends of mine had done this and recommended it: https://fastestknowntime.com/route/paddy-go-easysherpanigranite-traverse-wa From Scatter Creek trail to Sherpani, I was able to stay basically on the crest and get several little mini-summits without anything over third class, like you said. At Sherpani (day two), I tried this stay-on-crest strategy and it didn't work out well -- I then looked at the FKT GPX and saw that this person had dropped down and off the crest from Sherpani.. by that time I just wanted out, sadly, due to skeeters. So I didn't summit Sherpani or Granite South. From the trailhead to Sprite Lake saw 0 people, saw a couple of people probably on death's doorstep from the bugs at Sprite Lake, then only saw people once at Granite (north). Wasted some time on all the social trails around Robin and Tuck lakes... I met a thirteen year old and his dad on the way up to Robin Lakes who had driven out from Ohio to go backpacking in Washington for two weeks -- it was their first real backpacking trip heading up there 😳 I was like..wow! This is not an easy trail! I was super excited for them. No hills like these in Ohio... I'll have to look at a map to see the route you're suggesting! So fun to have such easy cross-country travel in that area.

zimmertr, jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:30 pm 
Thanks for sharing the route beta! Just for fun, I was thinking about comparisons to myself between Tuck/Robin and the Enchantments. This area would probably be my top recommendation for someone looking for a place to hike that feels very similar to the Enchantments. Each place is different, but I wouldn't say that Tuck/Robin is any less scenic. Pros of the Enchantments:
  • Fewer people camping due to permits
  • Larch trees during the fall
  • Better peakbagging
  • More beautiful lakes (such as Colchuck, Leprechaun)
  • Jagged peaks like Dragontail, Stuart, McClellan
Pros of Tuck/Robin and the surrounding area:
  • No permits for camping
  • Way fewer total people (the trail was not crowded at all, and there were very few day hikers)
  • More scenic tarns
  • Better mountain views (the east side of Daniel is insane and you get views of it from so many spots up high)
  • More options for off-trail exploration

ALW Hiker
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 10:00 am 
I missed this one while in Canada - Looks like a great trip and the photos are beautiful. Like you I have stayed away because of the reports of overcrowding but I may have to reconsider. Never been to Tuck & Robin myself but in late June of 2019 I suggested it to my daughters since it was an early thaw year and I suspected it would not be crowded yet. It turned out to be good timing though crossing the creek in the car was a bit sketchy and there was ice still on Robin.

jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 12:54 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
I missed this one while in Canada - Looks like a great trip and the photos are beautiful. Like you I have stayed away because of the reports of overcrowding but I may have to reconsider. Never been to Tuck & Robin myself but in late June of 2019 I suggested it to my daughters since it was an early thaw year and I suspected it would not be crowded yet. It turned out to be good timing though crossing the creek in the car was a bit sketchy and there was ice still on Robin.
Thank you! You had a great idea to suggest an early season trip to your daughters in June of 2019, I bet that's what Robin Lakes looked like in mid-July of this year. I hadn't considered the creek crossing during early season, I can see how that could get sketchy especially later in the day. I would encourage you to reconsider and do the trip sometime. We might have just gotten lucky, but 7 groups or so at Robin Lakes plus one group camping at the Granite Mountain Potholes meant that everybody could spread out, and it was a good-weather Saturday night in August! We probably did get lucky, but if you are able to go during the week I bet you will be happy with the number of people up there. Some day I would like to go back but camp at the tarns NE of Granite. From above it looks like they have a very similar feel to the Upper Enchantments but I doubt many people explore them let alone camp near them.

Bowregard