Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is this how forest fires start? Coal Lake Saturday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 6:53 pm 
Wow, never knew soap helped. I'll bring some day hiking from now on. I've put out abandoned fires but luckily it hasn't been hard. And yes, let's normalize the idea all hikers should proactively look for does and put them out, the way litter pick up has been normalized.

Lindsay
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 6:56 pm 
There’s several other people on here that could make the same comment. Even a little does quite a bit to break down the surface tension.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Oct 17, 2022 9:54 pm 
We were canoeing on one of the lakes up in Strathcona Provincial Park on Vancouver Island many years ago and watched a firetruck pull up to a lakeside campsite and unload what appeared to be the entire contents of their tank on a small "smoke" left in a campsite. This came out of hose that was 6" or so in diameter, lasted for a good 1/2 hour or longer, and pretty much destroyed the site. At the time my wife and I figured they must be doing some kind of training or got carried away but after seeing how far fires can extend underground I am wondering it it really took that much water to make sure the fire was out.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 7:37 am 
Pyrites wrote:
Pro tip. If you have soap, even a very small amount per container makes a big difference in this kind of fire.
Yes…soap works well! Also, if you can - and even if you have no water - separate the burned/charred pieces and place them on some bare ground. Also, turn them over them so the burning or charred side is exposed to the cool, night air. If you are able to - mix up some non-organic dirt with the hot ashes or coals. However, do NOT just bury burning stuff….you run the risk of starting roots on fire.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 9:23 pm 
Thanks for helping douse it and for getting help finishing the job.
treeswarper wrote:
Boy Scouts are famous for starting fires.
I have no doubt. My troop's scoutmaster was an early adopter of LNT back in the early seventies, and he taught us to leave camps better than we found them, and also taught us to put out fires dead dead dead with plenty of water and stirring the coals etc. But toward the end of my time in the Scouts, I worked for a few summers at my Council's summer camp, and got to see lots of other troops. We were super lucky to have the Scoutmaster we did, in part for his love of camping, hiking, and backpacking, which made our troop WAY more fun to be in, and in part for how well he taught us to plan trips and be safe and have low impact. Oh, and he wasn't into having us wear uniforms all the time at camp (only needed for any ceremonies) and NEVER for camping/hiking outings, whereas in many other troops it seemed like the leaders had uniform fetishes. The adults leading the troops are going to impart whatever good or bad outdoor behaviors they have onto the scouts.

maurella
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 9:30 pm 
Saw a Ranger headed up to Coal lake today while we were parked looking for firewood. The area is being watched pretty closely since they are logging all the way from and around Coal lake road all the way to Deer creek road. During dry conditions, one is not supposed to use a chainsaw after 1 PM and remain in the area for one hour after finishing (2 beers?) to watch for smoldering. I also recall my Mom saying that if there is not sufficient snow pack during winter, that a fire can smolder, especially in the roots all winter and then flare up later, at least in places that are dryer and typically get at least 5' of snow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 10:01 pm 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

rossb, tinman