Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How do you cope with the air hazard?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 7:09 pm 
At least I missed out on the first part of this annual event shakehead.gif with a 12-day stay in NYC, just a hot, humid, and sweaty heat wave there. We made a Costco/Grocery Outlet run from the "Very Unhealthy" zone in Leavenworth to "Hazardous" in Wenatchee hairy.gif yesterday. Thank God we got the provisions and made it back safe and sound. wink.gif Holed up in the house again, as, you know, I am kind of a sensitive group guy. stooges.gif No hiking or even daily Ski Hill loop walks. Bit of work-related reading, Internet music, cooking, and adult beverages will have to do for now. epicure.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 6:55 pm 
My house is shut up tight and the forced air furnace fan is running intermittently. It cooled off Sunday night so hopefully I won't have to run the AC any more. I'm not even sticking my head out of the house without an N95 mask. No walks; my only exercise is physical therapy exercises and attempts at rain dances. Troutdale's AQI is at 177 thanks to the Nakia Creek fire just across the Columbia River. I hope they find the "vehicle of interest" and the four people in it! It's not nearly as bad as Labor Day 2020 when the smoke rolling in from fires to the south closely resembled the advancing murk of Mordor, and once it arrived, the AQI hovered around 500 for a week. And even the National Weather Service, whose narrative forecast generally contains more weasel words than a politician's, now states that rain will definitely arrive late Friday.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 7:27 pm 
The smoke hasn't bothered me at all except for lack of views....I am so out of shape that I am typically winded anyway, so not much difference.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 10:16 pm 
It stinks, but so does the privy. When at home I limit my outside time and when hiking I try to go where it isn't. Our house has a large MUA (Make Up Air) vent that draws directly into the furnace filter before distributing throughout the house so periodically I turn on the 1500CFM vent fan which opens the vent and starts the furnace fan to bring in filtered outside air. Just recycling the air inside the house through the filter can get unhealthy if your house is well sealed (in which case it should have MUA anyway). In past summers when we had bad smoke and hot temps I would put filters in some of the downstairs windows and fans pushing out hot air upstairs which works but is kind of a pain.