Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fires ..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 3:58 pm 
Yacolt Fire--September https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacolt_Burn The Cispus Burn also occurred in September 1902. East winds were happening at that time. Both areas had CCC boys doing reforestation in the 1930s. CCCs were at Cat Creek during the summers, at the Cispus Center, and also in Randle.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 4:40 pm 
Suburban Randle.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 4:59 pm 
I'm pulling this from my internal brain storage card, but I seem to recall that the Wind River Nursery, near Carson, was established in order to reforest both burned areas.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Ski
RichP

RichP
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 5:21 pm 
Driving westbound on I-90 today after hiking in relatively clean air just east of the pass.
Driving westbound on I-90 today after hiking in relatively clean air just east of the pass.

rossb
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 6:25 pm 
Authorities Seek Persons of Interest in Nakia Creek Fire in Washington State. Fire officials in Washington State are seeking information on people and a vehicle of interest as they investigate a wildfire that grew to 2,000 acres from 150 acres within hours on Sunday, forcing thousands of people to evacuate. The authorities are trying to identify two men and two women who are believed to be connected with a white or light-colored Subaru seen on a ridge near the fire on Oct. 9, the Clark County fire marshal said in a statement on Monday afternoon. The statement included a video and photo and cited witness statements, but it did not elaborate on the connection. The fire, called the Nakia Creek fire, is burning on extremely steep ground in the Yacolt Burn State Forest near Camas, Wash., about 20 miles northeast of Portland, Ore. Officials said it was spread over 1,565 acres as of Monday afternoon and was 5 percent contained. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/17/us/nakia-creek-fire-washington.html

zimmertr
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 7:44 pm 
this gets around NYT paywall: https://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/2022/10/clark-county-fire-marshal-seeks-people-car-of-interest-in-nakia-creek-fire-investigation.html

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 6:16 am 
For the Nakia, fire marshals believe some kind of pyrotechnic was involved, such as fireworks or incendiary rounds from a rifle https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2022/10/nakia-creek-fire-now-close-to-1800-acres-may-have-been-man-made-investigators-say.html

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 7:39 am 
Snoqualmie Mountain views from 10/18/22
The Northwest is burning
The Northwest is burning
The Northwest is burning.
The Northwest is burning.

ALW Hiker, zimmertr, mosey  SpookyKite89
rossb

rossb
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 8:45 am 
gb wrote:
That of course is your political crap.
OK, I think I'm done here. I try to have a sensible, reasonable discussion, but now it has come to name calling. I haven't written anything that I would consider the least bit "political" on this thread. My guess is, you have no f### idea what my politics are. I did present evidence in the form of data from smoke monitors. I also pointed to trip reports on WTA. But none of that matters, because apparently we should only care about your personal anecdotal evidence, which was not extensive. You avoided small towns when they had smoke, and probably missed out on some good hiking that can occur if you drive through those low elevation towns to the higher areas. The other day I drove through Issaquah and the smoke was terrible. I ended up on top of Mount Defiance and it was spectacular. About as clear as I've ever seen it (I could clearly see four volcanoes). Go figure. Oh, and the week before I hiked up to Red Pass. I talked to a woman from Monroe. The smoke was terrible there. She left town when it was hard to breathe, and then hiked up to Mount Sawyer (Tonga Ridge). I thought this was kind of risky (since they could have closed the highway) but it worked out. She had a great day, and looking south (to Hinman and Daniel) was spectacular. We can both trade anecdotal stories, but if you look through WTA reports, you'll notice this wasn't rare. A lot of people that ventured out into the mountains on smoky days had great hikes -- they just had to avoid the obvious smoky areas (Artist Point was fine -- Hannegan Peak wasn't). All of this misses the point. I clearly mentioned that the fires had a negative impact on west side hiking. But what I wrote was that only the Bolt Fire had a major impact on a major population center. Bellingham -- which dwarfs the small towns you mentioned in terms of population -- has been largely free of smoke until very recently. Smoke effecting small forest towns and recreation sucks, but is a completely different thing.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 9:13 am 
I must have missed it...... where exactly was the "political" part again? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:15 am 
Ski wrote:
I must have missed it...... where exactly was the "political" part again? dizzy.gif
Hard to say why he is allowed endless ad hominem attacks on others. He gets really angry whenever someone disagrees with him

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:43 am 
altasnob wrote:
incendiary rounds from a rifle
I didn't know this stuff even existed but you don't have to look far on the web to see that it's all around

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:57 am 
In the same vein and more likely are tannerite targets

joker
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:01 pm 
I only say it’s more likely because in my experience I have never seen an incendiary round used, but I have seen many tannerite targets used by friends and strangers alike

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:02 pm 
^ Have never understood how or why that stuff is legal for sale to the public. How is it not an explosive device? dizzy.gif This will not stop until a few of these morons are incarcerated for LONG periods of time. (like 20 years or so.)