Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fires ..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:09 pm 
Tannerite targets are already prohibited on all National Forests in WA and OR. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd603112.pdf I think I recall seeing that they are also prohibited on State Lands in WA?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:11 pm 
^ It is not legal to ignite or discharge ANY firework or explosive device on ANY government property that I know of, including school yards. So ... WHERE is it legal to shoot that stuff? In your back yard? Do shooting ranges even allow the stuff? For the life of me, when I read stories about fires being started with the stuff, I have to wonder who's calling the shots at the top end. WTF?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

IanB, joker
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:15 pm 
A fire that was uncomfortably close to my house in the Randle suburbs was rumored to have been started by an exploding target which was leaned against a landing slash pile on private timberland. It was behind locked gates too, and no culprit was ever produced. That fire was a good example of local people stepping up immediately, as it the all volunteer fire dept. which also had equipment owners/operators as members. They got right on it and had firelines being constructed before the DNR arrived. One friend stopped by my house and suggested I might want to get valuables gathered and my trailer hitched up in case the wind changed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

joker
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 pm 
I saw it used prior to their ban, so I don’t know where it’s used legally. I always thought it was a bad idea.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 12:48 pm 
The fireworks ban on NFs is very longstanding. I think the ‘exploding target’ ban started maybe 10 years ago after a bunch of small fires traced to that ignition source.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:36 pm 
Good news, Cliff Mass says the risk of forest fires in Western Washington is predicted to go down with climate change, not up. He contends rainfall in late summer is flat, even a bit up (August through September) and we should experience less, strong East wind events (a necessary ingredient of Western Washington fires). https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/10/was-global-warming-behind-recent-smoky.html

gb

gb
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 7:47 am 
altasnob wrote:
Good news, Cliff Mass says the risk of forest fires in Western Washington is predicted to go down with climate change, not up. He contends rainfall in late summer is flat, even a bit up (August through September) and we should experience less, strong East wind events (a necessary ingredient of Western Washington fires).
Ha ha ha. And the moon is made out of blue cheese.

philfort

philfort
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 10:26 am 
He attempts to conclude that since there is no visible trend from this joke of a graph, "that alone is enough to deflate any claims of greenhouse warming revving up westside fires"
In addition to trying to conclude anything from that random set of 5 dots, he is missing: - 2021 Pincer Creek and Bear Creek fires - 2018 Maple fire in the Olympics - 2015 Goodell Fire - 2011 Big Hump fire in the Olympics - 2009 Heatwave Complex Fires in the Olympics - 2003 Mineral Park Fire - He's also either missing the Big Hollow/Downey Creek fires of 2020, or this year's fires (can't tell where that dot is)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 10:45 am 
altasnob wrote:
Good news, Cliff Mass says the risk of forest fires in Western Washington is predicted to go down with climate change, not up
If that was true, climate scientists would be saying the same thing.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 7:09 pm 
philfort wrote:
He attempts to conclude that since there is no visible trend from this joke of a graph, "that alone is enough to deflate any claims of greenhouse warming revving up westside fires" In addition to trying to conclude anything from that random set of 5 dots, he is missing: - 2021 Pincer Creek and Bear Creek fires - 2018 Maple fire in the Olympics - 2015 Goodell Fire - 2011 Big Hump fire in the Olympics - 2009 Heatwave Complex Fires in the Olympics - 2003 Mineral Park Fire - He's also either missing the Big Hollow/Downey Creek fires of 2020, or this year's fires (can't tell where that dot is)
I agree that he should be including all data points available. But are any of those fires you listed very large? If they are all small, like Goodell Creek, which burned 6,700 acres, they would just be a bunch of dots at the bottom of that graph. It doesn't appear there is any large increase in acreage burned in Western Washington.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 7:13 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Are there any studies that are specific for Western Washington? Note, Cliff Mass is not saying that wild fires are not increasing. He's not saying wild fires in Oregon are not increasing. He's not saying wildfires in Washington, as a whole, are not increasing. He's saying it does not appear that wildfires in Western Washington are increasing, nor are they predicted to increase in the future. Everything I have read suggests Western Washington will get both warmer, and wetter, due to climate change. So it's not surprising forest fires in Western Washington are not predicted to increase.

rossb
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 7:30 pm 
Level 3 evacuation an hour ago in the Benson Cr. area (a little bit south of Twisp). Fire season ain't over yet.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

joker
philfort

philfort
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 8:31 pm 
altasnob wrote:
I agree that he should be including all data points available. But are any of those fires you listed very large? If they are all small, like Goodell Creek, which burned 6,700 acres, they would just be a bunch of dots at the bottom of that graph. It doesn't appear there is any large increase in acreage burned in Western Washington.
They should still be easily visible on that graph (even if you want to claim because we had some big fires 100 years ago we will never be able to claim acreage burned is increasing today). He didn't do proper research, because he doesn't actually care about the truth once he's made up his mind. And no one can correct him or challenge him on that blog, because then he just won't approve their comment. (So far he's refuse to approve two of my comment, for example one correcting him when he claimed the Suiattle Fire was human-caused). He's sloppy, and his comments are heavily curated to make himself look good. He's a man that doesn't like to be wrong.

gb, Cyclopath, joker
gb

gb
PostSun Oct 23, 2022 7:01 am 
altasnob wrote:
philfort wrote:
He attempts to conclude that since there is no visible trend from this joke of a graph, "that alone is enough to deflate any claims of greenhouse warming revving up westside fires" In addition to trying to conclude anything from that random set of 5 dots, he is missing: - 2021 Pincer Creek and Bear Creek fires - 2018 Maple fire in the Olympics - 2015 Goodell Fire - 2011 Big Hump fire in the Olympics - 2009 Heatwave Complex Fires in the Olympics - 2003 Mineral Park Fire - He's also either missing the Big Hollow/Downey Creek fires of 2020, or this year's fires (can't tell where that dot is)
What Mr. [removed by mod and dealt with] doesn't comprehend is that the few large fires in the early years in "his graph" occurred before there was any substantial effort to fight them; so yeah they got large......so his graph is about fire fighting methodology.

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 23, 2022 7:06 am 
altasnob wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Are there any studies that are specific for Western Washington? Note, Cliff Mass is not saying that wild fires are not increasing. He's not saying wild fires in Oregon are not increasing. He's not saying wildfires in Washington, as a whole, are not increasing. He's saying it does not appear that wildfires in Western Washington are increasing, nor are they predicted to increase in the future. Everything I have read suggests Western Washington will get both warmer, and wetter, due to climate change. So it's not surprising forest fires in Western Washington are not predicted to increase.
What you fail to comprehend is that it doesn't matter if "average" annual rainfall is increasing; it is the duration of summer dry periods in conjunction with the probability of lightning storms that will make most of the difference. Smaller human caused fires are typically near infrastructure and are easier to control or put out. The guy standing with one foot in a bucket of hot water and one foot in a bucket of ice water finds that "on average" everything seems fine.

pula58