Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Firefox browser question.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:00 am 
Those of you who use Firefox's browser may have noticed some changes with their recent update. The regular browser appears as normal. The background is white as are the panels at the top. This also used to be the appearance of their Browser in Private Mode. Today that background of the upper bars and panels has switched to black along with the bars for bookmarks. I find this very difficult to read now. I tried looking through the Settings to see if I could switch it back. Any suggestions on how to restore that? Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:22 am 
I don't know how to control the colors inside Firefox, I think skin does what you want. Also Windows has accessibility settings meant to deal with text being hard to read.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:36 am 
For grins I upgraded to the latest version today to see if I could replicate. After restart I was presented with some hideous color themes. I clicked on the circle with a slash thru it and it went back to the normal theme. I tinkered around in settings and found a "Try Colorways" option under Firefox Settings > Extensions & Themes > Themes. I enabled a colorway and yowza. eek.gif To remove it I clicked on "Disabe" (under "Enabled") and it went back to the normal light theme, phew!

Cyclopath
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 4:57 pm 
Did you open a Private Browser? Could you see the difference in the appearance of the two browsers? I am not that tech savvy. I was able to make a screenshot and paste it in Word. But I couldn't see a way to post the .doc to these replies. I suppose I could take a cell phone pic and then upload that to the computer and then post that .jpg. But it's a bit of a hassle. haha There's probably a more streamlined way to do that. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 6:28 pm 
Private browsing automatically uses the dark theme by default. If you want to override the "auto" setting and always use the light theme then this should work: Settings > Extensions & Themes > Light > Enable P.S. you should be able take a screen print and paste it directly in your post (right click in the post and choose paste or hit ctrl+v)

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 6:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
P.S. you should be able take a screen print and paste it directly in your post (right click in the post and choose paste or hit ctrl+v)
Let me give this a try. Hey! It works. Here's the comparison between normal browser and private. See the black backgrounds for the bookmarks and the tabs? It's really hard for me to read now. Plus it's irritating aesthetically. Does not make sense since the previous version worked just fine. The purple backdrop works okay, that's been the standard for some time. It's the bookmarks, url address line, and the tabs, etc. that have recently gone black.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 7:02 pm 
Open a private browser, type "about:addons" in the address bar, and hit enter, then look for the Light theme box, and click the Enable button marked here:

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 7:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
Settings > Extensions & Themes > Light > Enable
*cough*

Navy salad
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 7:25 pm 
I just did that after I sent you the screenshot. Just to be sure... Closed my browsers and reopened a regular one. Looks the same I believe. Then I opened the Private Browser. OMG!!! It worked! It worked. breakdance.gif Thank you! ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 7:47 pm 
zephyr wrote:
See the black backgrounds for the bookmarks and the tabs? It's really hard for me to read now.
There is software on your computer called Windows Navigator. It's very annoying but can be extremely useful sometimes. It can read the text on those tabs for you and speak them out loud, or type them into a black and white box. Tom helped you find a real solution, and what I'm suggesting is more like a bandaid, but I would suggest learning to use it because sometimes it helps Also, it would be good of you to report this as a bug to Mozilla. Hopefully they'll fix it in the next release so this is easier for people with poor eyesight.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 9:52 pm 
What bug would he report? Pretty sure dark theme is standard for private browsing to differentiate it from non-private browsing.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 10:54 pm 
Tom wrote:
Pretty sure dark theme is standard for private browsing
Actually the dark theme only appeared in the last day or so (for me) with a recent update. I have been using the Private Browser on certain websites that are ad heavy or out of control with pop-ups and such. And I doubt that it was a bug. Their developers do this sort of thing from time to time. I have seen some other updates in months past that affect readability and good design sense. It's highly annoying. I am glad we found a fix. My eyesight is not that "poor" but the new look was highly distracting and interfered with my using the browser. Thanks for your work-around suggestion with the MS reader. I will keep it in mind. ~z

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:15 pm 
zephyr wrote:
I have been using the Private Browser on certain websites that are ad heavy or out of control with pop-ups and such.
The modern web is basically unusable without an ad blocker. Something like AdBlock plus and Ghostery is easy to install as extensions through your browser. My work finally offered us Firefox as a browser option (previously we just had Chrome and IT had locked us out of the extensions panel) and I have both of those running now, so you should be able to search for them in the extensions section. Your quality of life will measurably improve. smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 3:09 pm 
Tom wrote:
What bug would he report? Pretty sure dark theme is standard for private browsing to differentiate it from non-private browsing.
zephyr wrote:
I doubt that it was a bug. Their developers do this sort of thing from time to time. I have seen some other updates in months past that affect readability and good design sense.
Contrast ratio between text and the background should be at least 4.5:1 to be readable by users with vision difficulty. This is an "accessibility bug," the fix is to adjust the color palette and ship with something that hits the targets. Definitely private mode should be using a dark (or at least different) color scheme, to make it immediately clear to users whether they're in a private mode or not.

hikerbiker
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
The modern web is basically unusable without an ad blocker. Something like AdBlock plus and Ghostery is easy to install as extensions through your browser. My work finally offered us Firefox as a browser option (previously we just had Chrome and IT had locked us out of the extensions panel) and I have both of those running now, so you should be able to search for them in the extensions section. Your quality of life will measurably improve. smile.gif
Highly recommend checking raspberry pi hole out. It will ad block every device on your network without any of them having to run anything you don't already use. It's a ~$20 DNS box with a crowd sourced blacklist.