Forum Index > Trail Talk > Port Townsend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 9:41 pm 
If not camping, where to stay in PortTownsend? We have two teens with us. We have never been there. Please help with lodging. No homelessness near our stay. I don’t know how exaggerated it is but heard stories about meth addicts and people living in tents.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 9:46 pm 
I was last in PT in 1981 on my honeymoon. We stayed at Manresa Castle, very cool and historic place.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 9:56 pm 
In 40 years a lot have changed smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 10:08 pm 
Apparently, it's still there. They also had good food then..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

SpookyKite89
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 10:27 pm 
The only motel I can recommend on the Hood Canal side of the peninsula is The Mt. Walker Inn, in Quilcene. The numerous times I stayed there it was owned by a rather interesting woman, but sometime in the last few years she sold and moved out of state, and the inn is now corporate-managed. But it looks at least as nice as it was before; the locale is very peaceful, and there used to be a restaurant right next door (Logger's Landing) which has been open and closed at various times as ownership changed. 25 miles from Pt. T is perhaps farther than you'd care to drive, but price might be better. A number of closer motels comes up if you google around.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Mountainpines
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 11:06 pm 
Stayed at the bishop hotel in 2018 when my parents came to visit from the east coast, it was nice. Central. Don’t recall seeing any homeless camps in the area.

Mountainpines
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 6:25 am 
I did a bit of research while thinking about places to escape to if the smoke became terrible here. My plan was to go glamp at the fairgrounds. Last year that was not open due to problems with "homeless" people who were apparently claiming the area as their own spot to camp. This year the fairgrounds were open for camping so I suspect the problem may not be as bad? I've only glamped there. There are houses to rent by the night at the Fort Worden. That might be an option if any are available. That is a very busy state park.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Mountainpines  mosey
meck

meck
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 6:54 pm 
My wife and I stayed in the Harborside Inn in Port Townsend last year for a night or two. It was just fine. It was a fairly convenient location, and was just under a mile walk to the Ferry terminal over to Whidbey Island (Fort Casey Sate Park is within short walking distance on the other side there). You could also visit Fort Flagler & Fort Worden for a complete tour of the triangle of fire.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 8:16 pm 
There's no bad hotel in Port Townsend. Some are historic, some are modern and not very different from any hotel anywhere. But it's a small town (assuming you mean within PT, it's a big area) and you won't be far no matter where you wind up. Obviously the ones downtown are easy walking distance to everything. There are great parks in town. I've never heard of crack heads in PT. Potheads from the '60s and '70s riding bikes to art stores and co-ops, sure.

SpookyKite89, Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 9:30 am 
Some friends of mine stayed in the Palace Hotel there a few years ago, supposed to be haunted... http://seattlebloggers.com/the-palace-hotel-in-port-townsend/

Mountainpines
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 1:19 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
No homelessness near our stay. I don’t know how exaggerated it is but heard stories about meth addicts and people living in tents.
No one can guarantee you won't see this. Anyplace with a high cost of living has homelessness. Vacation/resort towns are very likely to have a homeless population. I suppose some places are more proactive about moving people along and forcing them further out (ie in CO and WY ski towns many homeless people live in the surrounding national forest); I don't know if PT is like this or not. And the United States has a massive drug problem, and meth famously has hit rural areas and small towns hard. So no one can tell you that you won't see someone high.

Mountainpines
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 2:14 pm 
just stay away from shopping centers and you'll be okay. homeless people require big shopping centers to panhandle and shoplift. we stayed in an old bordello in downtown Pt. Townsend years ago that had all been reworked. beautiful old building right down on the main drag. within walking distance of everything. no idea what the name of the place was.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Mountainpines
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 4:33 pm 
I think that’s the Palace Hotel Ski, did you stay in Ida’s room or….? yawn.gif Also, there is a brewery close by that I’ve heard is good.

Mountainpines
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 7:16 pm 
don't know whose room. upstairs. window looked down onto the main intersection in the old "downtown" area. there was a deck on the back where you could go out. interesting old building, actually.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Mountainpines
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 2:31 pm 
Fort Flagler is cool

Mountainpines