Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Firefox browser question.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:28 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Definitely private mode should be using a dark (or at least different) color scheme, to make it immediately clear to users whether they're in a private mode or not.
The opening of a private mode browser takes you to a bright purple background. Plus there's a small purple icon up at the top along with a "Private Browsing" tag. You know that you are in private mode because you aren't fighting all those ads. If you used this particular browser you would be more familiar with it and the appearance. It was fine until they turned off the lights on the Bookmarks and tabs, etc. Thanks to Tom for a workaround. No fancy add ons needed. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:41 pm 
Turns out the colors are not a bug after all:
I agree it could be easier to read, though. Good thing it's customizable, I guess.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:47 pm 
I use firefox all the time. It has always displayed a dark theme for me when private browsing, shrug. Chrome is no different. Pretty much standard behavior. And yeah, I was going to say I didn't see anything wrong with the dark theme. It's dark mode, SMH. I personally don't care for dark mode but it is what it is, not a bug.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:47 pm 
zephyr wrote:
The opening of a private mode browser takes you to a bright purple background
Yes, but more importantly it runs with amnesia and doesn't remember or record any of your activity. In places like Iran and North Korea* right now, that can be a matter of life and death. For everybody else, it can be a matter of getting fired if your web browser keeps a record of you looking for another job, it can be a source of marital problems, etc. For these reasons, companies that make web browsers consider it important to communicate very clearly to their users whether they are in a private mode or not. This is the reason privacy mode has a different background, a different icon on the task bar, and a different icon on the title bar that says you're browsing privately.
zephyr wrote:
If you used this particular browser you would be more familiar with it and the appearance.
?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Oct 23, 2022 8:52 pm 
People will cower in fear when they see you usin dark mode. It looks more "high tech" to be usin dark mode and so they cower in fear. Plus it is known to run faster than the regular mode, kinda like a turbo charge type deal. That's what the main computer guy said!!!! So I always go with dark mode because it looks more "high tech" and people will cower in fear when they see you usin dark mode.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 8:48 pm 
Anybody else giving the "Brave" browser a try https://brave.com/

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 23, 2022 9:55 pm 
For desktop? No desire to use anything but Firefox Much prefer Firefox's scrolling vs. chrome. Every time I use Chrome the scrolling feels so clunky in comparison, and every other browser out there seems to be a chrome variant with some added feature like "privacy" which IMO is overrated. Go ahead and track me, I could care less. On mobile I really like Yahdex. Only mobile browser I found with a black bottom navigation bar and one click access to tableau for favorites. You can also use third party add ons like adbloack with Yandex. Chrome is ok, but their developers inexplicably removed the option to put the navigation bar at the bottom. Firefox mobile is buggy. Fonts used to be wonky, they fixed that but latest version I get a lot of flicker. Apart from Opera and Safari every other mobile browser, like desktop, seems to just be a chrome variant adding some "feature" Some let you move the navigation bar to the bottom but still leave an ugly residual white bar (unless you are in dark mode) at the bottom (on android) which looks awful. The next best alternative out there is Samsung internet but I hate that they have an extra navigation bar you can't hide, and all that white at the bottom, so ugly...
Samsung internet, can put address bar at botttom but soooo ugly with white background and extra navigation bar you can't hide.
Samsung internet, can put address bar at botttom but soooo ugly with white background and extra navigation bar you can't hide.
Mobile chrome.  Do the developers at Google actually use their own browser on mobile?  Who on earth would want the bar at the top on a tall phone.
Mobile chrome. Do the developers at Google actually use their own browser on mobile? Who on earth would want the bar at the top on a tall phone.
Yandex mobile, so much better with black navigation bar on bottom, especially when viewing images in lightbox with black background.
Yandex mobile, so much better with black navigation bar on bottom, especially when viewing images in lightbox with black background.
Yandex, quick access to tableau by clicking on navigation bar.
Yandex, quick access to tableau by clicking on navigation bar.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 24, 2022 1:33 pm 
Randito wrote:
Anybody else giving the "Brave" browser a try https://brave.com/
It's been a popular browser for years, lots of people have given it a try. The notifications are a little spammy but easy to turn off. Otherwise it's a browser and functions much like any other. Give it a shot and see what you think! smile.gif