Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ricketts Glen and extras (Pennsylvania, Oct/16/'22)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 4:33 pm 
In my Washington days, this time of the year I would be looking to catch an alpine lake ringed by golden larches. On the east coast I've had to substitute the alpine lakes - of which there are none available - with waterfalls, and golden larches with an assortment of colorful hardwoods. I left Pittsburgh at 2:20am. 4.25hrs later I was at Ricketts Glen, and shortly thereafter was on my way down to the waterfalls.
1- Oneida Falls
1- Oneida Falls
3- Cayuga Falls
3- Cayuga Falls
4- Ganoga Falls (94ft tall)
4- Ganoga Falls (94ft tall)
5- Delaware Falls
5- Delaware Falls
7- Mohican Falls
7- Mohican Falls
8- Tuscarora Falls
8- Tuscarora Falls
10- Harrison Wright Falls
10- Harrison Wright Falls
11- Cathedral (Sheldon Reynolds Falls)
11- Cathedral (Sheldon Reynolds Falls)
12- Murray Reynolds Falls
12- Murray Reynolds Falls
13- Wyandot Falls
13- Wyandot Falls
14- Wyandot Falls
14- Wyandot Falls
15- R. B. Ricketts Falls
15- R. B. Ricketts Falls
17- Ozone Falls
17- Ozone Falls
18- Ozone Falls
18- Ozone Falls
After Ricketts Glen, I drove down to nearby Sulivan Falls, and then further on to Heberly Run to check out Lewis Falls.
19- Sullivan Falls
19- Sullivan Falls
20- Lewis Falls
20- Lewis Falls
21- Lewis Falls
21- Lewis Falls
22- Lewis Falls
22- Lewis Falls
I got home at 9:30pm, well satisfied with my day.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Prosit, rubywrangler, Nancyann, day_hike_mike, Now I Fly, Slim, NorDub, meck  Anne Elk, awilsondc, jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostTue Oct 18, 2022 10:08 pm 
I love those fall colors GW! I've definitely enjoyed the few times I've gotten to hike on the east coast in the autumn. What a beautiful assortment of colors and textures.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*

GaliWalker
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 8:56 am 
I love how these photos demonstrate the beauty of the fall colors on the leaves both on the trees and on the ground. Really nice!

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 am 
Exactly! People think the fall color is done when it’s off the trees. Not so! There're another two or more weeks while it’s on the ground and still vibrant.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 6:54 am 
Fine waterfall images from RG, Gali. Nice job, as usual. Looks like you timed things well. Good water flow and nice color. I did not make there this year, unfortunately. I am curious. Why not stay overnight? RG has an exceptional campground. Beats getting up at 2:30 and driving up there in the dark, IMO.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 21, 2022 8:52 am 
Generally, I do these long daytrips as a pact with my wife that I will only take 0.5-1 day in the week for my trips, but right now she's out of town, so I could have gone. Unfortunately, I had been tasked with covering (photographing) an event on Friday, and just didn't have the energy or inclination.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 12:56 pm 
Very nice. This is the one time of year when I get a little nostalgic for my old Pennsyltucky home.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep

GaliWalker
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 12:09 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
The foreground focus on those leaves is quite nice. smile.gif Are you hyper-focaling and using an ND filter to get that cotton candy water?

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 5:26 am 
For that particular photo I used f/22 to get that nice depth of field, but since it was still quite dark - sunrise had not happened yet and I was in a gorge - I had to use an ISO of 500. To get that "cotton candy water" effect I used a long exposure of 30sec, which was longer than I'd have liked here, but, as I said, it was pretty dull. There was no need to use an ND filter; however, I did use a graduated neutral density filter to balance the exposure of the background and foreground.

Anne Elk