Forum Index > Trip Reports > Windy Knob (Blewett) 10/23/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 4:36 pm 
Hit the Trail and I drove up FS7240 and parked near the berm. We soon passed by Tronsen Meadow, heading up the Lillaby Tie Trail, where we started to encounter some blowdowns and patches of snow in the shaded areas. Not long after that we hit the rocky ravine between Diamond Head and Windy Knob, half covered with light snow. How could I forget what a pain that stretch is? doof.gif I extended my apologies to Lloyd that it was not as planned, but soon enough we were on top sitting and chatting over coffee and Earl Grey. We considered looping out over Tronsen Head on potentially good trail, but the connector was covered with blowdown and snow so we gleefully headed back down the gully. shakehead.gif Great day out with good company. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

jaysway, dave allyn, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 5:39 pm 
Do you think it's still possible to drive up to Haney Meadow from Blewett Pass?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 6:51 pm 
Hey Rich, that would be touch and go as the week goes on. The Mission Ridge webcams as well as the Blewett Pass webcam show it snowing at the moment. The elk hunters will try to plod through to get up there later this week, so maybe you can too, or maybe not. dizzy.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

RichP
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 7:05 pm 
RichP wrote:
Do you think it's still possible to drive up to Haney Meadow from Blewett Pass?
Depends on your vehicle and whether you can do without it until spring if you get stuck.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 7:19 pm 
I may just start where you guys did and hike up from the end of 7240. I've done it once in mid-Nov and remember the trail being pretty good.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 3:00 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
I extended my apologies to Lloyd that it was not as planned,
No need to apologize, I should have known better since I followed Wildernessed up into that same area some years ago after having him tell me it was an easy route! How soon we forget how difficult it is to hike on fields of small basalt rocks, especially when covered by a dusting of snow. But once we got up to Windy Knob the views and camaraderie was worth the effort. Much better than sitting around waiting for the thick smoke to clear like I had been doing in the recent days.
Hitting the rocks.
Hitting the rocks.
Our destination.
Our destination.
Some larches still linger.
Some larches still linger.
In the rocks.
In the rocks.
Getting out of the rocks.
Getting out of the rocks.
A weather station by Central Wash. Univ. to gauge the wind. There is another one just like it down in the gully.
A weather station by Central Wash. Univ. to gauge the wind. There is another one just like it down in the gully.
Matt is not the only one who likes Earl Gray tea.
Matt is not the only one who likes Earl Gray tea.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 5:16 pm 
I went out there today and almost got my car to the end of the Rd 7240 but a big mud puddle spooked me and I parked 1/2 mile before. Made it all the way out to Bentrim Hill. No more than 5" of snow at 6k. Saw fresh tire tracks at Haney Meadow. Lots of wildlife.
Bentrim Hill
Bentrim Hill