Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best fishing reels for beginners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EmmaMFuhr

EmmaMFuhr
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 9:59 pm 
I am new to fishing. Going to purchase a new fishing reel but not much aware which type of fishing reel is most frequently used for beginners?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 10:48 pm 
Depends upon what kind of fishing. If it's for say trout that are maybe no more than 20" long then a small spinning reel will work fine. Most fish in mountain lakes that I catch average around 10" long and maybe weigh about a pound. I suggest a Shimano spinning reel, good quality and not too expensive and filled with 4lb test line. I don't recommend buying the cheapest line, get some of decent quality. If you are planning to hike into mountain lakes also get yourself a lightweight telescoping rod that will fit in your backpack. One thing I learned the hard way is to not store your outfit in a sunny area, it will ruin the line. Also don't forget to loosen the handle on your spinning reel, on most doing so allows you to fold it over so that it doesn't get broken during transport or while stuffing your backpack.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Bowregard
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 26, 2022 11:12 pm 
On another forum I haunt, this same question came up a couple months ago, but the OP was asking about "best reel to start a kid". The majority of the membership voted for Zebco - which is fairly fool-proof spinning reel. Shimano makes an excellent reel. How much money do you want to spend? You should be able to snag a decent copy of an old Mitchell-Garcia 300 for about $20 bucks. Pretty simple. I'll echo Chief Joseph's comments about take-down rods - they're much easier to transport through the trees and generally they're still usable when you arrive at your destination.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Bowregard
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 11:33 am 
I'm with Chief Joseph on this one but I would add that "how" you plan to fish should influence the choice too. Spincast reels (closed face) are typically easier for a beginner to cast but spinning reels (open faced) are generally simpler and easier to use once you learn how. Here is a link on reels you might find useful: https://yourbassguy.com/fishing-reels/types-of-fishing-reels/ The site is bass oriented but the info is applicable to fishing for other species as well. Ski: Does Mitchell-Garcia still make the 300? That was the standard we used for trolling for trout 50+ years ago. I had a love/hate relationship with a 330 that made casting a lot easier (but was a PITA when you accidentally touched the bail and it automatically popped open).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 12:50 pm 
No... those old Mitchell-Garcias have been out of production for years. I have a collection of them here somewhere.... I can't find the photo. Mostly 300s, but I actually fish with the smaller 308, a downsized version of the 300. The reasons I suggest the 300 are (1) it's really kind of fool-proof if you don't abuse it (2) they're ubiquitous - you can find them at every second-hand store in the country (3) you should be able to find an operational copy for about $20 bucks. I've never paid more than $25 bucks for a Mitchell reel, and that was for a brand-new-still-in-the-box-never-seen-the-water 1958 copy of a 304. They're all damn good reels. The 304 is a bit fussy. The 308 is sweet. I run 4-pound test line on it with 2-pound leader.
1958 catalog page of fishing reels
1958 catalog page of fishing reels

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 1:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
The reasons I suggest the 300 are (1) it's really kind of fool-proof if you don't abuse it (2) they're ubiquitous - you can find them at every second-hand store in the country (3) you should be able to find an operational copy for about $20 bucks. I've never paid more than $25 bucks for a Mitchell reel, and that was for a brand-new-still-in-the-box-never-seen-the-water 1958 copy of a 304. They're all damn good reels. The 304 is a bit fussy. The 308 is sweet. I run 4-pound test line on it with 2-pound leader.
I agree. My brother worked at a retail store that sold fishing gear and brought home a whole box of reels that had been display models. I learned to take them apart, clean and regrease them, and contact the manuf. for any missing parts. I had a Mitchel 308 as well (nice compact design). If I remember right the 308 had a spool that wrapped over the edge of the reel to keep line from getting caught inside. The 330 has the automatic bail for easy casting (you don't open the bail first - just hold it down and it opens automatically when you release it). The downside is everybody who has used the standard type pulls up on the bail and bends it so you have to be real careful who you let use it. I found Mitchel and Fenwick had awesome customer support. Mitchel was willing to send me reel parts without charge (I don't think they even asked for postage) and I sent in a Fenwick flyrod tip section with a broken tip and they sent me a whole new rod.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 4:26 pm 
Don't overthink it. You may or may not like fishing. You're far more likely to like it if you catch fish, so go with someone who knows what they're doing. You can get all-in-one spinning reel/rod combos by Okuma, Ugly Stick, etc. at Outdoor Emporium or the like for less than $60. Any six foot or less, medium light and fast action rod will be good for trout, smaller bass, panfish. If you want to troll or haul in big bass, catfish, or others, you might want something stiffer. Rod and reel all depends on when are where you are fishing, but if you're new, just get the middle-of-the-road option.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 5:12 pm 
was shopping for some tool bags and other items and saw these: Zebco "Dock Demon" spincast rod & reel set up $12.00 + $5.80 shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/334539622068 (6-pack of above $54.00 + $16.00 shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/334539621642 - take the whole gang!) Zebco 202 spincast reel $8.00 + $6.20 shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/394210562877 Zebco 404 spincast reel $11.00 + $6.20 shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/394251732144 Ron Cripe = straight shooter... done a lot of business with him.