Forum Index > Food & Grub > the next shortage will not be toilet paper or gas but butter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 12:32 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 12:55 pm 
^ it's okay... I hardly use butter any more... had to use some the other night to do the chanterelle-moscato-butter-herb sauce for the pork tenderloin, but other than that... who needs it? my older sister commented the other day that I was looking a bit thin. "... but how his arms and legs are thin!" maybe cuttin' out the butter had somethin' to do with it.... ? confused.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 22, 2022 2:32 pm 
The question I have about these "shortages" is how much if due to problems due to lack of supply and how much is due to panic buying / hording due to rumors of a possible shortage. I do know that even the depths of "TP Crisis" when there wasn't any TP in CostCo for months -- there were tall stacks of TP available in Home Depot (for $16 for a 16 roll pack)

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 9:22 pm 
The reason there is an egg shortage was so many chickens were brutally killed off due to "avian flu" even though none of the birds had the flu rolleyes.gif Same with many shortages - during the height of the pandemic restaurants were not buying anything, so the growers just stopped, and switched to whatever would sell. Ramping back up isn't easy. It's why McDonald's actually ran out of french fries for a few weeks - they had to wait for the 2022 crop to come in. Not enough was grown in late summer of 2021. And so butter is similar....it will take time to ramp up. But on top of that the droughts hit dairy farms hard. And hit the beef cow growers. Grain is VERY expensive. I know, I buy it for my chickens. It's gone up by up to a third in the past year. Right now I am losing money on my hens, because they barely lay in the late days of fall into winter. I get a quarter of the eggs I normally get. It's not "panic buying". It's not "hoarding". It's that the "right now fulfillment" that stores use is long gone. And that every little disease that pops up is used as an excuse to force growers to literally kill their animals and destroy them. Or they cannot afford to feed them, so sell them early.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

mosey
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 24, 2022 9:38 pm 
simple solution: just eat somethin' else! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 7:42 am 
the reason you kill an entire flock of chickens is because you cannot test everyone to check whether it has the flu or not, it would be costly, so to keep the flu from spreading you destroy all of them. makes sense to me. smaller outfits might be able to isolate some like the zoos are attempting, whether it is working I have not heard yet. since the flu virus can apparently survive on most anything, shoes, clothes and easily transported into quarantine areas. as to short supplies I don't think a lot of thoughtfull planning was made. noone was prepared for such an eventful series of problems. and noone made plans to future cope, i.e. isolate, change production methods..ha however hindsight is the master of genius!!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 9:32 am 
I prefer to not kill creatures unless it needs to be done. The large ag production of chickens is horrific enough - those souls never see the sun in their lives, and often cannot walk. Where as in my flock I know every chicken I have had. Life is cruel enough for chickens. Some breeds have a tendency to just drop dead of heart attacks, and the hungry Bald Eagle loves fresh chicken, as does the wily coyote, the mighty owl and frankly, every ones love chicken. If it comes to it, and they were to get sick, yes, I would kill them all as needed. You shoot each one, through the heart or you break it's neck with a broom handle. I have had to do it before, countless times when I had a sick animal. But you don't do it preemptively. And for every animal you take, you must say a prayer for their soul. And thank them for their life. PS: The reason why big ag birds do catch disease so easily is the level of sheer anxiety they live under. They burn the beaks so they cannot stab each other to death. That isn't normal behavior in chickens. They attack each other when stressed. And it isn't hard to isolate. I don't let people walk in my chicken areas and when we adopt new flocks, they are quarantined for weeks in an outlying area. But...I respect my birds' lives and treat them well. Every cheap egg people buy continues the abuse of these prehistoric birds.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

neek
neek

neek
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 9:40 am 
Ski wrote:
I hardly use butter any more
What do you put in the pie crusts??
Ski wrote:
maybe cuttin' out the butter had somethin' to do with it.... ?
dunno, we go through a stick every couple of days, and no I don't put it in coffee.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 25, 2022 9:54 am 
This is SO weird, Tom. I click "post reply" at lower right (just below neek's message) and the window that appears contains the text from my last post in this thread. (I have since posted something else in a different thread.) This is seriously messing with my mind here. You know that I am already crazy. This sort of thing really ties my head in a knot. Okay... sorry... neek: I use Crisco shortening. The white stuff. Keep it in the refrigerator. It works better to have the fat COLD when making pie crust, and refrigeration keeps it from going rancid. I formerly used half butter and half shortening. At the ballet performances, where the pie was being sold by the slice during intermissions, I would go around and ask people for feedback on the pie. I didn't tell them I was experimenting with different combinations of ingredients. I got better feedback on the pie crust made with straight shortening than I did on the pie crust made with straight butter or with the half-and-half mixture. Go figure. huh.gif

neek
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 12:08 am 
^^^ Ski, I just tried half and half for the first time, results were not as spectacular as I'd hoped; might even have been slightly inferior. Or maybe I'm just used to all Crisco, which seems to give a flakier crust. But not as healthy (all hydrogenated oil).

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 6:49 am 
okay, now here's a recipe where there's no substitute for butter... I used about half a stick of butter making the sauce for this (with heavy whipping cream, of course.)
farfalle with smoked salmon and chanterelles 10/26/22
farfalle with smoked salmon and chanterelles 10/26/22

Anne Elk
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 2:08 pm 
and I thought this might be a short term thing but after a trip to local grocery I find that my fav butter goldnsoft is no longer being made...soo maybe there is something to the story..

ThinAir

ThinAir
PostThu Oct 27, 2022 7:48 pm 
Better start stocking up on powdered butter.