Forum Index > Trail Talk > Owner & dog shot and killed in Lewis Co.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 29, 2022 1:29 pm 
Topic is fine in trail talk as the focus is not really about guns (if anyone wants to discuss that subject they can take it to the dedicated topic).

Bushwacker, Snowshovel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 9:57 am 
I looked at the ninety page plus 2008 thread of name calling and think we are past that happening here. I do hope justice is meted out harshly, not like the 2009 slap on the wrist or the acquittal in 2010

ejain

ejain
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 4:22 pm 
Hypothetically speaking, if a sheriff decided that shooting people from certain places isn't something they want to ever prosecute, is there any recourse?

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 5:02 pm 
ejain wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, if a sheriff decided that shooting people from certain places isn't something they want to ever prosecute, is there any recourse?
Not the Sherriffs decision in any case. There is also the WSP and the Feds

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 6:22 pm 
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 8:14 pm 
I was curious as to why a homicide on federal land wouldn't just be investigated and prosecuted by the feds, but it looks like in some cases federal lands have "concurrent jurisdiction" and local or state governments can be responsible for justice. What I don't know is why the feds would have concurrent vs exclusive jurisdiction in any particular national forest.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 8:21 pm 
If they had exclusive jurisdiction then the feds would have a patrol all of Nevada, for instance. https://www.fletc.gov/territorial-jurisdiction-federal-property-mp3

kiliki
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 7:33 am 
kiliki wrote:
I was curious as to why a homicide on federal land wouldn't just be investigated and prosecuted by the feds, but it looks like in some cases federal lands have "concurrent jurisdiction" and local or state governments can be responsible for justice. What I don't know is why the feds would have concurrent vs exclusive jurisdiction in any particular national forest.
They can't afford to do that--budget.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 8:58 am 
It’s some of that, and it’s also a limit at federal overreach. But it’s related to the property clause in the constitution where the locals enforce the laws just like if you or bill gates owned the land. https://www.fletc.gov/territorial-jurisdiction-federal-property-mp3

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 9:14 am 
Not saying that. There are agreements. Sometimes the FS cop is also deputized with the county. The county is called in, or shows up first because the FS cop is not available. One FS person is there to cover a zillion acres, and it isn't possible to do that. They cover each other's butts. The East County is a bit neglected when it comes to county coverage. During one flood event, there was unexpected coverage simply because a deputy was caught behind the flood and marooned. It can take an hour or more to get help. That's what you get when you decide to live "in the country". During one crime spree in the 1980s, the county cops showed up and went door to door urging locals to lock doors and keep a loaded gun handy. Another time, one suggested to me that I fry some sponges in bacon grease and throw them over the fence to silence a herd of yapping dogs for good. I don't think things have improved much. The present sheriff was busy during the pandemic hanging out with crowds of conspiracy believers who were all worked up over rumors. He was keeping them worked up. He's now in campaign mode and most likely wants things to be quiet. I think he is kind of working towards becoming a celebrity and has a brother? or cousin? who is sheriff in Thurston county, and they want to be famous for that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 11:43 am 
Yeah I can see that concurrent jurisdiction is a thing, but I'm more wondering how they decide when to have exclusive or when to have concurrent. My work experience is with the NPS and I hadn't heard of this, though I know a million instances of park LE being in charge of investigation and prosecution, or, not having the resources to do things so they don't get done.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 11:49 am 
It’s park dependent. Most of the older parks are exclusive versus concurrent. And even when concurrent, the park may have zero law enforcement available. Think Klondike National Park - Seattle.

kiliki
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 11:00 pm 
Latest update, apparently the prosecutor's office referred it back down for more evidence and charges actually haven't been filed yet. The whole saga so far is pretty mind boggling.
Quote:
Long before the official autopsy report was complete, a Lewis County Sheriff’s Office chief deputy suggested to the family that Aron, an active, healthy 49-year-old man, had “a widow maker’s heart.” A coroner also insisted, in the days after Christensen’s death, there was no foul play suspected, Corey Christensen wrote in his notes. “It just feels like we’re not being told the truth,” Kate Meredith said. “If he had a heart attack, what the hell happened to [the dog]? This doesn’t make any sense.”
https://www.chronline.com/stories/a-hiker-and-his-puppy-were-shot-dead-on-a-remote-washington-trail-investigation-has-been-as,303035 This was also posted in the Oregonian so it's good to see the story getting more traction.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 11:10 pm 
Amazing that Lewis County was able to hire as Chief Deputy a medical doctor. Or is that deputy just someone who is in habit of making up evidence.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Nov 03, 2022 11:34 pm 
Another article with new details, hello:
Quote:
[Christensen's friend] said that someone reached out to Asbach on Facebook messenger, asking if he killed Christensen. Asbach denied killing Christensen but did admit to killing his dog.
https://www.kptv.com/2022/11/03/frustration-continues-over-investigation-into-lewis-county-homicide/

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)