Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommendations for skis on forest roads and trails?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 7:59 pm 
I’m planning to do some snow camping this winter, nothing ambitious, just go down NF49 type roads a few miles or the trails in Methow Valley for 2-3 nights. Probably won’t be breaking trails. I tried snowshoes last season, and it was ok, but I think I’d prefer skis; I’ve only ever done downhill at resorts however, no backcountry, no Nordic, never used skins. I thought I get the BD Glidelite 147 and that orange Expedition sled for my camping gear, but the BD Glidelite is discontinued this season. Anyone have thoughts on where to start? Maybe I should try Altai Hoks? Or would just getting downhill skis I can put skins on and Alpine Touring ski boots make more sense?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 9:04 pm 
What's your budget? Alpine touring gear is very capable and efficient and your downhill skiing skills may be applied directly. However AT gear isn't cheap. "Rough touring" gear is significantly less expensive, but the skills needed to are significantly more. Atli Hoks are more of a "sliding snowshoes" than skis. The key to descending with them is the sturdy pole used as a brace/outrigger/brake. It's an ancient method that is effective and requires far less training to master than more modern skiing techniques.

Lokicat, CS
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 10:22 pm 
A modern AT setup can easily run $2500 for all new gear. Rough touring gear would be skis like this https://www.rei.com/product/195505/fischer-traverse-78-crownskin-xtralite-cross-country-skis And boots like this https://www.rei.com/product/892159/alpina-alaska-bc-cross-country-ski-boots

Bronco

Bronco
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 8:53 am 
I have a very similar ski, NNN BC bindings and those Alpina Alaska boots. Great setup for meadow and logging road skipping in the Methow.

CS
hbb

hbb
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 9:51 am 
CS wrote:
Maybe I should try Altai Hoks?
Those things look like you end up with all the downsides of snowshoes but none of the benefits of skis. I'd look for a used nordic set up similar to what Bronco listed. A lot of the skis in that class have a fair amount of sidecut, which I personally don't like: I'd rather have a straighter ski that tracks better than pretend I can effectively turn a double-camber nordic ski with a NNN BC binding and a light boot. A new AT set up is serious overkill for the use case you described, unless you have ambitions to get into touring later.

rossb, CS
RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 11:34 am 
I'd recommend the metal edges as roads can get pretty icy. I'm not a good skier but took it up for precisely the reason you are interested in using them. You might be able to get an inexpensive set up on craigslist.

CS
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 2:36 pm 
You can rent skis in Winthrop. I would very much recommend doing that several times with different skis and boots before buying anything. See what works for you.

thunderhead, seawallrunner, Schroder, CS
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 2:39 pm 
Randito wrote:
Rough touring gear would be skis like this https://www.rei.com/product/195505/fischer-traverse-78-crownskin-xtralite-cross-country-skis
I have an older version of these skis, with NNNBC bindings. I haven't used them in a few years and would prefer to never use them again. I might be talked into parting with them, but I would recommend against.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 8:45 pm 
Following this topic because I am also in the process of putting together a ski set up and towing harness for my bike trailer. Slightly tangential question: CS - what are you using as a harness/towing system between you and sled? I have seen DIY options online and have also considered purchasing something like this harness and these poles.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 9:55 am 
CS wrote:
What was the issue you had with them?
They're the sour spot? Heavy, slow, and imprecise. Probably some of that is the boots I use them with. When will you be in the Methow? Or do you live there? I'll be there in December to ski, will bring these if you like, you can spend a day on them if you can get boots that will fit you.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 10:25 am 
CS wrote:
Not sure yet, I was thinking I'd keep it light and see if I could get away with some soft rope like what's on this Light Weight Racing Pulk.
up.gif I will report back on what option I go with and how well the solid poles work for towing weight up/downhill.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 1:43 pm 
I strongly second the suggestion of renting gear first. Skis are pretty personal on what feels right for you & it's an expensive mistake if you pick the wrong ones.

CS, KascadeFlat
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 2:26 pm 
FWIW: I've had positive experiences using the "Paris Expedition Sled" for hauling supplies into ski-in camps. When the approach is steep enough that I'm using skins on my skis for grip, I've used an old pair of glue on skins attached to the bottom of the sled to provide some relief from constant downward / rearward pull. I did learn the hard way on one trip that hauling 100 lbs of food and gear can be problematic even when you are burly enough to do it -- the climbing wires on my skis collapsed under the load and the rest of the trip I had to climb for turns with my heels flat on the ski... But we did have fresh bacon and eggs for many breakfasts on that trip.

CS
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Nov 01, 2022 5:52 pm 
Whoa that video is a trip. Any idea what they were doing? Dragging a sled over ground cover looks…enraging. Hunting maybe? Comments said they had two cases of Diet Coke in the sled. 😂

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Nov 02, 2022 8:08 pm 
Only the steepest forest roads justify AT gear in my opinion... and even then generally only if they are icy or compact. Any sort of prolonged gentle stretch and im usually quite happy to have brought my nordic gear. I really hate the flat bits on AT gear.

rossb, Cyclopath, CS