Forum Index > Trip Reports > Luna, East Fury, West Fury Theodolite Survey, Oct 22-23, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 28, 2022 3:28 pm 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
The bike idea seemed good in theory, but was difficult in practice. The trail was very rocky, and the boat kept scraping on rocks.
This is what I use for hauling groceries. Very versatile and can haul large / odd sized items. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/bike-cargo-trailer/burley-travoy Works well and doesn't require a special hitch (attaches directly to seat post). I think it would be fine on rocky terrain as long as you aren't taking corners too fast.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostFri Oct 28, 2022 4:03 pm 
Outstanding trip on three fronts: a really pretty day with photos to prove it, a serious car to car suffer-fest, and of course the survey work. You chose the push to avoid the NPS permit hassle? or do you just like to work hard?
jboealps wrote:
What an improvement over the old Tabor and Crowder pamphlet!!!
I always found the extent and detail of Crowder and Tabor's field work impressive, and the Routes and Rocks books with annotated maps, together with Tom Miller's excellent photo anthology The North Cascades, have fueled many, many winter evenings of map-tripping and dreaming. You may find interesting the surveying and field research that went into disproving Dr. Cook's claim to have made the first ascent of Denai in 1906. This is contained in an article, "Dr. Cook and Mt McKinley" by Bradford Washburn in the 1958 American Alpine Journal.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 3:35 pm 
Another excellent account, Eric, and an advance in knowledge.
Bruce Albert wrote:
jboealps wrote:
What an improvement over the old Tabor and Crowder pamphlet!!!
I always found the extent and detail of Crowder and Tabor's field work impressive,
Having worked with Rowland Tabor in the field for a full season in the North Cascades and with Dwight Crowder more briefly, their field records were top notch in my opinion . As far as their published high routes, the details are still revered by many. As geologists, not topographers, they never intended to do quantitative measurements of landforms including elevation of peaks. Personally, I'm glad because as their field assistant, I would have been the mule carrying the bulk of the survey equipment.🙄

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still

Bramble_Scramble, wallorcrawl, Alden Ryno, rubywrangler, RichP, hikerbiker
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 7:31 am 
Oi. The logistics you test! Amazing. I felt tired after your first trip down to the lake from the car. Such effort! Thank you for what you do!

Art is an adventure.
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 5:17 pm 
Update to the report: Steven Song just sent me his handheld GPS data from his Luna-East/West Fury trip this past July and his GPS measured East Fury 35-65ft taller than Luna, and East Fury 35ft-65ft taller than West Fury. He measured West Fury and Luna a similar height. So these measurements are also consistent with the theodolite measurements and the photo analyses.
Quote:
by chance do you have any photos of the larches between Luna and Luna Lake, even from above?
Those larches would probably be an awesome sight when they are yellow! Those are the westernmost ones I've seen in washington. Must be some weird rain shadow effect in that area. I only saw them from above, and they were all brown, unfortunately. I got this one picture:
Larches below Luna
Larches below Luna
Quote:
This is what I use for hauling groceries. Very versatile and can haul large / odd sized items. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/bike-cargo-trailer/burley-travoy Works well and doesn't require a special hitch (attaches directly to seat post). I think it would be fine on rocky terrain as long as you aren't taking corners too fast.
Good idea! I'll look into that. It would be amazing if we could get the boat down in one haul instead of two or three.
Quote:
You chose the push to avoid the NPS permit hassle? or do you just like to work hard?
It's true I like avoiding the red tape. But now permits are self-issue for winter season, so it's not much hassel. I was just busy Saturday this time so only had the shorter timeframe to work with. I suppose we could have started immediately at 4pm instead of napping in the truck and taken that nap on the trail, but then we would have had to haul in bivy gear and we already had a lot of gear to haul. So a car-to-car push seemed to make sense .
Quote:
You may find interesting the surveying and field research that went into disproving Dr. Cook's claim to have made the first ascent of Denai in 1906. This is contained in an article, "Dr. Cook and Mt McKinley" by Bradford Washburn in the 1958 American Alpine Journal.
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it. Sounds like an interesting article.

jaysway
mike

mike
PostMon Oct 31, 2022 7:10 pm 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
Larches below Luna
Larches below Luna
Interesting shot showing the cirque. in the background. Compare. Below right is a shot that I took around 1970 compared to a pic (left) I got from this site maybe around 20 yrs ago. Sorry, I can't remember who took it so I can't give credit. It seems that the glaciers continue to recede.